June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
2 members (Ted Schefelbein, 1 invisible), 560 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,574
Posts546,495
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 16 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jeff L.:

With the D32 on the watertable, are you sure of the tube lengths? If I recall correctly, on the ones I have the number on the left watertable is the same as the tube length.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Last edited by ellenbr; 12/20/07 09:18 PM.
RJM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: revdocdrew
It has been suggested that the plant was sold to New England Westinghouse because they had just received a contract to produce Mosen Nagant rifles and bayonets for Russia. Some guns were produced in another facility on Center Street in Meriden until 1918 when Sears announced that the Meriden Fire Arms Company would discontinue the manufacture of sporting guns.

The factory on Colony Street was demolished just a few years ago to make room for a modern factory building. That was the site were the Russian rifles were made. I had not realized they also were located on Center Street.

Living in the Meriden area, I've met several people whose family worked for either Parker or Meriden. To my knowledge, Crescent was always in Norwich, not Meriden.

An old timer has told about his father laughing about the Russian inspectors at the factory. They had several racks of newly completed rifles & would get the the inspectors busy on one rack. Meanwhile, they would roll the rack, that had just been inspected, around the corner, out of sight, and put it back in line to be inspected again. The poor guys were inspecting the same rifles over & over, while uninspected ones got packed for shipment!

To make things worse, the firing pins got shipped separately from the rifles to a different port. All so that the rifles wouldn't fall into "the wrong hands."

What do you think the chances were that the rifles ever got firing pins installed? Just about zero!
Regards, Ron

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey,

I'm afraid so, and I have to admit I was a bit disappointed because it seems like a wierd length. Taking the decimal to the thousandths is overstating things a bit... They measured right around 31 3/8" on a yardstick today. (I just did not like the looks of the fraction after I typed it the first time, so I did the math myself and came up with .375.)

revdocdrew,

I knew this thread was back there somewhere (I've lurked for quite a while trying to learn), and fortunately I thought to run a search for it before wading back page by page.
I'm sorry for not chipping in sooner, but it was until today I could get the gun back in my hands, for it currently resides at Pop's house.

I need to say THANKS to all of you. The information and insight in this Forum is astounding. You gentlemen are smart and generous. Heck, I'm a little nervous simply typing words y'all might read!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jeff L.:

What type Damascus are the tubes? Nothing wrong with the fraction or decimal, but are you sure the chokes are tight and not open? Anything is possible like 31 3/8", but can you determine if the tubes have been cut or not?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jeff L.

Thanks for adding another one to the list. It is really appreciated. Just to confirm the serial number is 26,941 and NOT 29,641? The reason I ask, from the short list so far, 26,941 would be in the middle of some Meriden Hammerguns. But that is why the list is being compiled.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

RJM,

Any other stories you have about either Meriden or Parker would be appreciated. Please do not hesitate to share them here.

Pete

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Barrels probably look something like this; large scroll 2 Iron Crolle

Jeff: are there any markings/letters on the brls just forward of the flats?

Sidelock
Sidelock

PeteM:

I have 3 or 4 S30 & S32 Meridens. What block are serial number are you looking for?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

revdocdrew:

With that pic, do you think that the makers of Damascus influenced the psychedelic movement of the 1960's?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Raimey: possibly you and jOe could stare intently at this image in a darkened room for 2-3 hours then let me know what you think about the relationship between Arabesque, Belgian damascus, and Jimmy Hendrix

Page 12 of 16 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.