June
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, Argo44, R Reynolds, 1 invisible), 275 guests, and 22 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,572
Posts546,465
Members14,424
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
eeb, Goillini, Hal M Hare, Imperdix, John Roberts, Jusanothajoe, Karl Graebner, Ken Nelson, Silvers, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#646295 05/01/2024 12:21 PM
by Hal M Hare
Hal M Hare
Anyone else enjoy shooting with a high rib on your SxS? Perhaps a sin to purists, but I find I shoot much better with the high ribs such as was imported in the past by SKB. Am I the only one to confess? I really enjoy shooting clays with my 28 and 410.
Liked Replies
#646308 May 1st a 04:53 PM
by Ken Nelson
Ken Nelson
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Not a popular configuration, but it works for me.
UA 215, vent rib, single trigger, BT forearm.
5 members like this
#646316 May 1st a 07:15 PM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
High, flat, file cut ribs for me. The wider the better. I don't care for sunken, deeply concave ribs.
3 members like this
#646302 May 1st a 03:41 PM
by Jimmy W
Jimmy W
I won't buy a gun without a rib. I suggested to someone on here several months ago that when they bought a specific gun they should try to get one with a rib. That was just my opinion. They told me they don't need a rib on a gun that you're supposed to look at the target and not the gun. I always felt that your peripheral vision was lining up SOMETHING with the target. Whether it is a bead, the barrel, a rib, etc. So I like having a rib. I know I will get a lot of slack for saying it again, but oh well. I like seeing a rib when I point my gun at a target. Good luck.
2 members like this
#646305 May 1st a 04:11 PM
by Jusanothajoe
Jusanothajoe
No swamped ribs for me either.
A 21 with a vent rib was always my dream gun.
2 members like this
#646315 May 1st a 07:12 PM
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
A game rib works just fine shooting rough (or Ruff?) for me, but on targets the sighting plane of a taller rib seems to offer some advantages. That smaller clay target moving fast (and at greater distances) seems to require something of a more "precise" nature. Blasphemy....I know.
1 member likes this
#646457 May 4th a 10:36 AM
by Chuck H
Chuck H
Shoot a 410 sxs. The small barrels are the rib.
1 member likes this
#646485 May 4th a 08:31 PM
by old colonel
old colonel
I believe that which rib one prefers is in most part subjective. Those who claim the value of a high rib are right for themselves and those like them, as our those who proclaim the game rib, swamped rib, Churchill rib etc.

Gunmakers have long tried to meet market demand and sell guns to deliver that certain something. Sometimes they got it right, sometimes right for some but not all, sometimes the gimmicks were just that.

As each of us experiment with what works for them and find it, if it works for them then I am good with it.

The same is true for so many aspects of shooting.

BTW I like game ribs and shoot two swamped rib guns quite well.
1 member likes this
#646493 May 5th a 11:10 AM
by eeb
eeb
I like to see the target right over my bead and watch it break. If there is a mid-bead I want it right behind the front bead, no figure eight stacking, but I see a little rib; I’m not looking perfectly flat down the rib. In terms of 50/50 or 60/40, it’s closer to 60/40. I don’t generally use a pattern board unless I feel the POI is off.
1 member likes this
#646494 May 5th a 11:39 AM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
I hear you. I’m a deliberate pattern shooter on any new gun I acquire. I built my own 4 X 4 steel plate just for this. I want to see two things when I pattern a gun of mine ….. first, that the two barrels print atop each other. Then, that the pattern is about 60/40. I asked only out of curiosity. Thanks.
1 member likes this
#646625 May 8th a 02:55 PM
by Ken Nelson
Ken Nelson
I’ve got two adjustable high rib sporting guns and two flat rib sporting guns. I shoot all of them equally good or bad depending on the day😀.They’re set up for me to look straight down the rib and they all shoot to the same 60-40. I don’t get the stacked bead concept.
1 member likes this
#646636 May 8th a 10:53 PM
by eeb
eeb
It depends on the individual, I believe. I know guys that like it 100% high or 90/10, stuff like that. It all seems very obscure to me but trapshooters can be a particular bunch. Maybe there’s a trapshooter who could discuss his preference or use of the beads?
1 member likes this
#646640 May 9th a 12:44 AM
by Ken Nelson
Ken Nelson
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by eeb
The stacked bead thing is more of a trapshooter concept.

No, I disagree. My Perazzi shoots barely 60/40 when the beads are stacked. I haven't screwed with it. I thought trapshooters liked them to shoot much higher than 60/40. ????

I’m with Stan in this one. Most of the trap shooters I know would consider 60/40 a flat shooting gun. 90/10 or 100/0 is not unheard of.
1 member likes this
#646667 May 9th a 07:57 PM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Speaking of shooting at "stationary" sporting clays targets .............. my friend Bill McGuire taught me to never shoot a teal target at the top. If you have a choice, shoot it just after it starts down and has shown you its line. If there's a true pair of teal it's usually best to shoot the first one rising, "under power", then catch the second just after it starts down. Trying to catch it at the top, when it briefly appears motionless, is a recipe for disaster. The timing is too crucial.
1 member likes this
#646644 May 9th a 02:45 AM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Shooting a gun with a "built in lead", for rising targets, is like driving a truck that has a front end set up to pull to the right, to keep you out of oncoming traffic. It's useless for anything else.

I know accomplished sporting clays shooters who can do well on a skeet course, or a trap course. But, I've never met a dedicated trap shooter who can shoot anything else worth a darn, or who even tries. That's not an indictment of everyone who shoots trap, just a personal observation. Trap shooters, and skeet shooters, can be very close minded. I know a lady who was a GA Ladies skeet champion. Her and her husband were at the top fo the game in accomplishments. They tried to shoot a round of sporting clays on a local course that one of my best friends had just shot a 96/100 on. She shot something like 37/100. Her husband declared there were targets on that course that could not be broken with a shotgun. laugh laugh laugh
1 member likes this
#646677 May 10th a 03:31 AM
by Ken Nelson
Ken Nelson
Originally Posted by Jimmy W
Originally Posted by Ken Nelson
With regards to shooting at a target that appears stationary: if you use that method in Sporting, you’ll likely end up with a bunch of zeros. I learned that long ago on certain true pair targets or Teal targets that appear stalled at the apex. Shooting them rising or falling is a much better plan.
You have to shoot them rising (and falling) in Sporting Clays because they are all going in so many directions unless they are straight aways. They will only appear stationary in trap if they are straight aways, or near straight aways. Targets won't appear stationary if they are going out to the side (hard rights or hard lefts) or across in front of you. And you wouldn't use a trap gun when you shoot sporting clays. Best wishes.

Jimmy,

For the record:
I shot my way up the NSCA ranks many moons ago using a bone stock 32” Beretta 687EELL Monte Carlo Trap gun.

I agree a Ljutic Space gun would likely be a poor choice for a sporting gun.🤪

I have always wanted to shoot a round of SC with a Ljutic Bi-Gun. Once would probably be enough!

Best regards,
Ken
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.