Originally Posted by OldMaineWoodsman
Poisoning thousands of eagles?

https://www.treehugger.com/bald-eagles-no-longer-endangered-5070353

As we all know, lead shot has been banned for waterfowl hunting since the early 1990's. Eagles, Hawks, Owls, and Ospreys are thriving. In fact, eagles are killing each other due to the number of them. Growing up in the 1960's-70's an eagle sighting was a rarity. Now they are a fairly common sighting.

While I feel that the days of lead are numbered, I don't agree with some of the arguments. My feeling has always been that loss of habitat and wetlands, human encroachment, and unchecked predation do far more damage to waterfowl and game populations than lead shot.

Mandated lead shot bans, like we are seeing on some of our Federal Wildlife Refuges/Areas are just political backdoor ways to curtail hunting, price people out of it, or make you find other activities. Hunters have always been the true conservationists. An eventual transition to non-toxic shot/projectiles should be voluntary and gradual, never mandated.

Eagles are beyond common.

Until convinced otherwise, I’ll maintain that their recovery had NOTHING to do with a lead shot ban, but, tracks very closely with the banning of DDT. Which, should NOT have been banned to the extent it was. It is a very useful pesticide, and, has limited applications where there is certainly nothing better.

You guys all miss the point, every time this comes up. The end goal IS NOT that you will no longer have lead shot, or, bullets. It is that you will no longer be able to hunt, and at that point, will have no reason to own a firearm.

The powers that be are on a longer schedule than you in this endeavor. They are after your children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. You, don’t matter.

Best,
Ted