Originally Posted by 12boreman
Many hardware store guns especially of the Belgian variety were off face from the factory while they were being sold new in the rack!

The statement above bothers me because I believe it is inaccurate. In all the years I have read books, magazines, and internet posts on the subject of cheap hardware store guns or old Belgian clunkers, I never once heard they were "off face from the factory...."

Way back before I was really into double guns, I can remember seeing old guys evaluating used models in gunshops. They would check to see if they were loose by shaking or flexing them with the forend on and then off. Then they would often try to close the gun with a dollar bill between the barrels and standing breech. If it would close on the dollar, which they were using as a crude feeler gauge, then it was judged to be loose and in need of repairs.

If guys back then knew enough to avoid a used gun that was off the face, then certainly they would never consider buying one that was loose when factory new. It is more likely that these cheap guns were simply fitted with less care and precision, so there was less contact area on the critical surfaces. Because of that, they would then wear at a faster rate than a gun which was better built.