April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jimmy W, Lloyd3, Jeremy Pearce, gunmaker, rtw, 1 invisible), 898 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,819
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: L.C. Smith Pre-1913 ChiefC 04/19/24 06:56 PM
Hello Sidelock,

Thanks for the quick reply, most of the details I uncovered were from the LC Smith collector site. According to Collector site No. 00's were single triggered and the No. 0 is the only other LC Smith without engraving and twin triggers. I was hoping someone could confirm the 1901 year based upon the serial number.

My apologies on the use of "Original" for the recoil pad, I meant to say it was an original vintage Pachmayer pad, not original LC Smith recoil pad, Ill update above.

So, confirmation of my questions in blue still stand if someone out there can help or point me in the right direction, thanks!
3 33 Read More
Re: L.C. Smith Pre-1913 Lloyd3 04/19/24 06:53 PM
The serial number should give you an answer as to it's birthdate (I'm finding 1901 for it). More information than that would likely have to come from the LC Smith website. The "whiteline pad" would be troubling for me and I would suspect that it's been restored by somebody along the 123-years it's been around. Hopefully they were competent when they recolored the action and refinished those "Twist" tubes?
3 33 Read More
Re: Advantages of a Lefever over a Smith? Lloyd3 04/19/24 06:00 PM
Ouch! Just recoil did that?
30 1,024 Read More
Re: Browning Superposed Field Rib? rtw 04/19/24 05:59 PM
" Are you talking about a solid rib?"
JR

Yes.

Do you perhaps know when Browning raised the stock? I know that the stocks are higher in Superposed's in the early 60's.

Was there by chance a timeframe in which they built Superposed's with higher stocks and solid ribs??? If so, what date or serial number range would that be?

Thank you,

The higher stocked guns would fit me much better and I'd ideally like one with a solid rib.
3 96 Read More
Re: L.C. Smith Pre-1913 Researcher 04/19/24 05:47 PM
The 0-graded was introduced in 1895, after the move to Fulton, so Syracuse is wrong. From 1895 to 1899 the 0-grade came with twist barrels and with good Damascus barrels from 1899 to 1907 when the option of London Steel barrels was introduced. Certainly not " • Original White Line Pachmayer recoil pad." as they didn't come along until after WW-II. For a few years prior to WW-II and a while after there was the Fray-Mershon "Whiteline" recoil pads.
3 33 Read More
Re: Advantages of a Lefever over a Smith? Drew Hause 04/19/24 05:28 PM
Has anyone here seen a Lefever that looks like this; unrelated to a fall or dropping the gun?
Help me out Ted wink

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

IMHO these cracks start at the head of the stock and extend toward the butt

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
30 1,024 Read More
L.C. Smith Pre-1913 ChiefC 04/19/24 05:27 PM
Hello Gentlemen, long time reader 1st time poster.

I recently purchased what I believe to be a Pre-1913 LC Smith SxS as an investment. Untouched gun with 98%? barrel and trigger guard blue with 100% of the case color and sharp details and perfect screws. Minor closet marks on the gun. I have done all my research and believe I've uncovered everything I need with exception of a few things which is why I'm starting this thread in hopes of receiving some of your knowledge. Here is what I know so far,,,,,

Description
• Grade No. 0 (1894-1914) (Pre 1913) - Syracuse L.C. Smith?
• Everything Locks up extremely tight
• Regular Weight
• 12 Gauge
• 26" Twist Steel Barrel
• Double triggers
• Twin Extractor
• Splinter Forearm
• Stock size 14 3/8" x 1 5/8" x 3" Aprox.
• Vintage White Line Pachmayer recoil pad.

Markings
• S/N 106718
• PAT’D MAR 29.83
• JULY 13.86
• Possibly Made in Yr 1901? (per list on this site).

Here is what Id like to know/confirm:
- Production Date
- Production Run (Qty)
- I was informed LC Smiths always have a dull brown hew on Barrels, true?
- What makes a pre 1913 LC Smith more sought after? Is it because of low production runs?

[i][/i]
Let me know if you guys want to see some pics in case I elect to not keep her.
R,
ChiefC
3 33 Read More
Re: SxS muzzle loading shotgun Vall 04/19/24 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Jimmy W
Originally Posted by Vall
[quote=bsteele]I had a “C Gove and Son Denver Colo” 10ga breech opener for a while. The “& Son” mark began in 1876 and was only for a couple years. It was made by WC Scott on the Purdey second model thumb opener patent. Cool gun with a great name, but at 9+ pounds it was not an upland gun so it went down the road.
Wow!! Beautiful!!

Thanks. Whoever did the restoration did wonderful work. I prefer non restored guns, but can't always be too picky. The set trigger screw was frozen up when I got it, and snapped trying to free it up. Fortunately it's a factory single set, so I was able to order the screw once I got the stub out of the trigger.
14 457 Read More
Re: SxS muzzle loading shotgun Vall 04/19/24 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Vall, most gun enthusiasts haven't a clue what a false muzzle is. I have a new, unused, octagon barrel in my shop that I ordered, custom made, some 30 years ago to build a competition rifle with. It has a beautiful false muzzle. After I got it my keen eyesight waned and I lost interest in iron sight m/l competition. The barrel is perfect but, alas, there is no demand for such anymore.

I think the average gun enthusiast doesn't know or can't understand how a rifle can take a cartridge, but ML a bullet. I know if I'm out at the gun club shooting them it always gets some weird looks, and lots of questions.
I own false muzzle Ballards with barrels by Schoyen and Pope, and it's a lot more work than breech seating a bullet, or just dropping a cartridge in the chamber. But it's also fun to do occasionally, but not during a match.
My false muzzle underlever Rolling Block actually was purchased from the same seller who is selling me this Gove shotgun. I know the shotgun isn't special itself, but the Carlos Gove connection makes it worth owning, and the price wasn't too bad.
14 457 Read More
Re: Browning Superposed Field Rib? KY Jon 04/19/24 04:12 PM
By field rib I expect you are talking about solid rib. Those did end in the 50's. I have a soft spot for Browning with two triggers and solid ribs. Those have all been made in the early 1950's or older, like pre WWII. Many were the single-double trigger configurations which were converted to standard double triggers by Brownings. Never figure out if they just did not have parts to repair them as a single-double or never got many of them operating properly and just automatically converted any returned for service.
3 96 Read More
Re: Advantages of a Lefever over a Smith? Lloyd3 04/19/24 04:04 PM
"Lloyd, Your Richards is better built than any old American double. Far better."

Ted: As far as game guns go, you're absolutely right. It still boils down to how much human time was spent on a gun and the better British guns get that in spades.

Hand-made versus machine-made is the big difference here, and by the teens and 20s in this country "hand-made" was essentially no longer available. Mass-production has its place (we'd of never won WWII without it) but there are trade-offs. It's funny, but somehow your eyes picks-up on the differences almost instinctively. I'll see a gun and an alarm goes off inside my head that there are "problems" with it, even if I can't identify them at first. Machine made guns always seem to trigger that "alarm" for me, even if they are damnedably useful and dependable. Oh, and yes...that Lefever is an "F" grade gun, made in 1889. If only there were a slot in my battery for it....

By the way....in 1889, all the American guns were mostly hand-made and it shows.
30 1,024 Read More
Re: Internal Server Errors John Roberts 04/19/24 03:02 PM
Only happens to me when I access the site on my Iphone late at night. Doesn't happen on my desktop, which is where I almost always login.
JR
7 405 Read More
Re: Browning Superposed Field Rib? John Roberts 04/19/24 02:52 PM
Not sure what a "field barrel rib" is that you mention. Are you talking about a solid rib?
JR
3 96 Read More
Re: SxS muzzle loading shotgun Jimmy W 04/19/24 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Vall
Originally Posted by bsteele
I had a “C Gove and Son Denver Colo” 10ga breech opener for a while. The “& Son” mark began in 1876 and was only for a couple years. It was made by WC Scott on the Purdey second model thumb opener patent. Cool gun with a great name, but at 9+ pounds it was not an upland gun so it went down the road.

Interesting info! I didn't realize his business ever used the "& Son" on it? I have other Gove, Schoyen, and AW Peterson rifles but my other Gove stuff is just C. Gove Denver, Co. marked.
I have one of the Gove underlever conversion Rolling Blocks. It's been fully restored and has a 12 groove Farrow false muzzle barrel. A great shooter, and as much as I love Rolling Blocks the lever is a huge improvement over the thumb spurs.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Once I have this in hand I'll double check the barrel markings. He told me today it has Birmingham proof marks and he thinks it's a 14 ga.? But he's getting info off Facebook, so I take it with a grain of salt.

Wow!! Beautiful!!
14 457 Read More
Browning Superposed Field Rib? rtw 04/19/24 01:24 PM
Anyone know when or if Browning dropped the field barrel rib and went to 100% vent ribs in their Superposed shotguns?

In looking at the ones for sale it seems like after the late 1950's that all of the shotguns have vent rib barrels.
3 96 Read More
Re: Internal Server Errors Dave Weber 04/19/24 01:14 PM
The BBS runs on a Linux platform and the files come from another SQL server.

Typically, I see errors when there is a rift between the 2.
Aside from kicking the hosting company I don't have much recourse.

Here is a list of typical things that can cause it:

Server mis configuration - very rare
Server melting (Once every 5 to 8 years has been the norm)
Server software changes - Typically after a melt
Hack Attempt (Most nights)
Independent server backups (1 or the other backing up)
Time stamp (clock differences)
Network issues between the servers (traffic due to bot scans, routing issues or hack attempts)

Thank you all for your participation.

PS - If you are writing a long reply it might be prudent to fabricate it in a text editing program then cut and paste it. That way you have spelling & grammar check as well as a copy shoud an error occur.
7 405 Read More
Re: SxS muzzle loading shotgun BrentD, Prof 04/19/24 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Vall, most gun enthusiasts haven't a clue what a false muzzle is. I have a new, unused, octagon barrel in my shop that I ordered, custom made, some 30 years ago to build a competition rifle with. It has a beautiful false muzzle. After I got it my keen eyesight waned and I lost interest in iron sight m/l competition. The barrel is perfect but, alas, there is no demand for such anymore.

There is still some demand and maybe even growing slightly in the right calibers and twists. Just gotta travel in the right circles.

I built a gun around a custom Bobby Hoyt barrel with Pope rifling. It has won a few matches. There are very few people who will build a false muzzle barrel these days.
14 457 Read More
Re: Canvas & Leather Gun Slip - Teales UK eeb 04/19/24 11:50 AM
Years ago Lewis Drake sold very nice leather cases that I believe were made in India. I have several and the quality is excellent. I watch for them on eBay but have not seen any for sale for a long time
16 850 Read More
Re: Canvas & Leather Gun Slip - Teales UK Jimmy W 04/19/24 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by HMAK
Jimmy W -
FROM TEALES UK WEB SITE - Forest canvas and brandy leather gun slip with synthetic wool lining.

I would assume that all their cases have this synthetic wool lining, there is no way they could hit these price points using real wool.

Great! Thanks. They sure look nice!!
16 850 Read More
Re: Internal Server Errors skeettx 04/19/24 03:21 AM
Daily data update of files?
7 405 Read More
Re: What grade D. M. Lefever & Sons keith 04/19/24 02:49 AM
I'd say the gun could be either a Grade 7D or 8E, based upon the engraving and embellishment. There seems to be some overlap between the grades. Going by the serial number of this gun, and the engraved name of the company, along with the "Not Connected With Lefever Arms Co." disclaimer. I would also guess it to be a Syracuse built gun made in 1903. However, this is a trigger plate action, and I'm not sure the trigger plate action guns were built while the new company was still in Syracuse. However, I know of one Grade 9F that also has the "Not Connected With Lefever Arms Co." disclaimer, and the 9F supposedly was not introduced until 1905 when the company was in Bowling Green, Ohio.

The Grade of D.M Lefever Crossbolt guns is sometimes found written in pencil under the grip cap, and less frequently under the buttplate or trigger guard. I have one almost identical to this one, but don't know whether to call it a 7D or 8E grade because it has a semi-pistol grip. My gun also has Damascus barrels.
3 242 Read More
DIY Gunsmithing @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Stock Duplication---Open-ended Question Stanton Hillis 04/19/24 01:58 AM
Originally Posted by Hoot4570
Thanks guys. Of course, I didn't include the entire story---a failing of mine. I bought a complete barreled action for an 1895 Lee Navy. I have been looking for a stock without much luck and had decided to go try and make a pattern stock, getting it duplicated when I finally get there. Then, wonder of wonders, an aftermarket stock shows up over on GB. I was trying to gauge my bid against the cost of duplication.

I appreciate the input!

All things come to him who waits .........
6 259 Read More
Re: SxS muzzle loading shotgun Rick W 04/19/24 01:51 AM
C. Gove name is worth more than the actual sxs.
Looks to be a low grade sxs, no blowout plugs, laminated twist barrels, min engraving and locks. I’d bet hammers checkering is stamped and not cut (usually another quality indicator).
Probably Belgium made and Gove imported as others have indicated.
Just the name is worth owning.
I saw this posted on FB a few weeks ago.
Thanks
14 457 Read More
Re: SxS muzzle loading shotgun Stanton Hillis 04/19/24 01:37 AM
14 457 Read More
Re: Internal Server Errors keith 04/19/24 12:55 AM
It happened to me again last night as I was submitting a reply in the D.M Lefever thread.

I didn't know that my post did not go through, and refreshed the page after getting the Internal Server Error. Apparently my post was lost.

But I suppose it could have been Censored too. I submitted a post in Argo44's A.I. Thread a couple days ago, and the next morning, the entire Thread was gone. I think this forum was more fun before it became an internet Safe Space for Liberal Democrats.
7 405 Read More
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.