May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (AGS, Drew Hause, Licensed to kill, 3 invisible), 228 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,364
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Tell me about this superposed AGS 05/02/24 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by eightbore
Strange that double triggers are not listed as an option. Also "not available without rib". Both options were available at some time, but I don't know when.
I can't tell when the ad was published.

It states in the description that the standard includes the twin single trigger is standard. That seems to be what your gun is equipped with. From the ad pictures and description I would say your gun is a standard model consistent with the time of the ad.

It may be that the twin single standard was changed to a straight double trigger at some point. I own several double trigger O/U's because I find them unique and match most of my doubles. I recently bid on a 1950ish that looked a lot like this because it had double triggers. It was advertised as such, but for all I know (and likely the dealer) it could have been the twin singles. A lot of people could own such a gun and maybe never know it.
9 392 Read More
Re: W & S Flying Bullet AGS 05/02/24 02:15 PM
TTT

Nobody have any info as to the beginning of this mark??
1 102 Read More
German & Austrian Sporting Guns @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Imman Meffert? ellenbr 05/02/24 01:58 PM
But these marks were applied by the maker and probably process or ID marks and not true proof facility marks.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
10 53 Read More
Re: Imman Meffert? Jtplumb 05/02/24 01:38 PM
Yes metal.I remember Hann’s book mentioning pre 1891 date for Suhl stamp similar to that one?
10 53 Read More
Re: Imman Meffert? ellenbr 05/02/24 01:32 PM
Oh, nice catch on the IM monogram....

Early style fences & Lefaucheux style platform with what looks to be rebounding hammers. So I would use the platform and hammers to guess @ the date. I assume metal buttplate?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
10 53 Read More
Re: Imman Meffert? ellenbr 05/02/24 01:18 PM
As a sidenote, I spent the last night fighting an electronic worm that came in on some email & then infected my laptop, wireless router & HP printer. I would have never known but the HP printer would not configure after the worm destroyed the older NetGear WIFI router. I purchased a new one & everything seemed to work well but the printer just would not configure(oh the days of cables...). So I contacted HP and that let to Norton, which I have used since it began, and their software does not address. On to Metaverse & finally, finally reconfigure the HP printer. I had a lot of faith in Norton, but it failed me. Amazin' the new menacing viruses and those behind them.

So if you have any quirks from your WiFi, you might want to search for a Worm. From eating holes in Buffalo horn butplates, grips, triggerguard bows to eating you WiFi router..... Where will it all end¿¿¿

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
10 53 Read More
Re: Imman Meffert? Jtplumb 05/02/24 01:17 PM
Yep
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
10 53 Read More
Re: Snap caps Jimmy W 05/02/24 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by old colonel
I used WD-40 in the 70’s when my focus was cleaning 1911 45’s. After cleaning I would wipe the parts down with it then reassemble. It worked well.

Later I used Teflon based lubricants like break free. It seemed better at coating for weapons storage, though I can’t complain about WD-40.

I have used Ballistal and Clenzoil, but found Eesox my favorite, both of the former are good, I just like Eesox.

In the last decade or more my lubricant of choice is is Eesox. My solvent of choice is homemade Ed’s Red, or Hoppes (for guns where I want to avoid possible contact with wood stocks or grips)

The reality is most oil options will work, even motor oil, what matters is actually cleaning and oiling with somethin consistently.

I have found both old Rangoon Oil and Whale Oil paste on eBay, but neither tempted me away from Eesox, though they sit on my shelf.

I agree with what you said about oiling consistently! That is what I said, previously. You shouldn't stick a gun in a safe for several months and not expect it to rust. The slightest amount of moisture can cause problems. At least it will in my safe. I am pulling mine out at least every week or two and oiling them. But, to each his own.
54 5,326 Read More
Re: Tell me about this superposed eightbore 05/02/24 01:11 PM
Strange that double triggers are not listed as an option. Also "not available without rib". Both options were available at some time, but I don't know when.
9 392 Read More
Re: Imman Meffert? ellenbr 05/02/24 01:04 PM
That pattern has a German name..... let me search....

Are you sure it is Silver/plata and not Platinum¿

So you think the Monogram is Imm. Meffert¿

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
10 53 Read More
Re: Baltimore Arms Co C grade English. Jimmy W 05/02/24 12:08 PM
Trap shooters can still get their guns made with the barrels bent up. A lot of shooters like a 60/40 point of impact because of the rising targets. Plus the beads are made so that they are stacked when they look down the barrel. And they have a movable cheek piece to change the POI. But you are right, there are some really weird looking, high ribbed trap guns out there.
3 146 Read More
Double Rifles, Paradox Guns & Gauge Rifles @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Reilly .500 3" BPE added to my collection Mike Harrell 05/02/24 12:04 PM
Will do. Hopefully I'll have a video of it going bang.
2 20 Read More
Double Rifles, Paradox Guns & Gauge Rifles @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Reilly .500 3" BPE added to my collection earlyriser 05/02/24 11:51 AM
Beautiful rifle, Mike. If you can, share more pictures when you get it.
2 20 Read More
Re: Win 21, Original or CSMC Jimmy W 05/02/24 11:39 AM
Okay. After research I have found that CSMC has several different engravers doing the work on the Model 21s and the Fox SXSs. Thanks.
6 250 Read More
Re: High Ribs on a SxS Stanton Hillis 05/02/24 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by Lloyd3
A game rib works just fine shooting rough (or Ruff?) for me, but on targets the sighting plane of a taller rib seems to offer some advantages. That smaller clay target moving fast (and at greater distances) seems to require something of a more "precise" nature. Blasphemy....I know.

Much like a late season, high and windswept dove.
10 309 Read More
Reilly .500 3" BPE added to my collection Mike Harrell 05/02/24 10:48 AM
I was lucky yesterday and won this E. M. Reilly .500 3" BPE double rifle. It will be a nice addition to my small collection of BPE double rifles.

2 20 Read More
Re: Imman Meffert? Jtplumb 05/02/24 10:32 AM
Thanks Raimey for the identification of the old Suhl stamp, Hope this “IM” mark helps someone in the future. The tarnished silver just blended in really well with the dirty laminate patterns. Do we have a date or range on the stamps?
10 53 Read More
Re: Gun shops should visit in Paris Ted Schefelbein 05/02/24 02:51 AM
Originally Posted by AaronN
Originally Posted by L. Brown
I would not count on finding anyone who speaks much English.

I am not sure we ran into anyone who didn't.

My exact experience as well. Everyone spoke English in Lyon and St. Etienne. My gunmaker asked me if I spoke any French. I told him I could say I’m hungry and curse at a waiter.

“Perfect” was all he said.

Best,
Ted
8 399 Read More
Re: Baltimore Arms Co C grade English. KY Jon 05/02/24 02:43 AM
Years ago I shot with a fellow who bent his barrel up to move the point of impact three foot high at 21 yards. He claimed he had a eye problem and if he shot in line with the bird his shot would be three foot low every time. Truth is he had a habit of pulling the gun off his shoulder when he shot so I do not know what his sight picture was. It was almost a flinch the way he shot. Funny thing was he could shoot a .410 42 with a straight barrel and shoot respectable scores. Maybe he should have owned the up-bent Fox. I have seen trap shooters bend barrels to change POI years ago. There are a lot of squirrel(y) gun owners out there.
3 146 Read More
Re: Chalk and Cheese Ted Schefelbein 05/02/24 02:42 AM
Originally Posted by Fudd
I love my double-barrelled shotguns. But I might be guilty of loving language a bit more.

We all need something to love…

Best,
Ted

https://waldmannbrewery.com/
5 544 Read More
Re: Gun shops should visit in Paris AaronN 05/02/24 02:22 AM
Originally Posted by L. Brown
I would not count on finding anyone who speaks much English.

I am not sure we ran into anyone who didn't.
8 399 Read More
Re: Snap caps old colonel 05/02/24 02:13 AM
I used WD-40 in the 70’s when my focus was cleaning 1911 45’s. After cleaning I would wipe the parts down with it then reassemble. It worked well.

Later I used Teflon based lubricants like break free. It seemed better at coating for weapons storage, though I can’t complain about WD-40.

I have used Ballistal and Clenzoil, but found Eesox my favorite, both of the former are good, I just like Eesox.

In the last decade or more my lubricant of choice is is Eesox. My solvent of choice is homemade Ed’s Red, or Hoppes (for guns where I want to avoid possible contact with wood stocks or grips)

The reality is most oil options will work, even motor oil, what matters is actually cleaning and oiling with somethin consistently.

I have found both old Rangoon Oil and Whale Oil paste on eBay, but neither tempted me away from Eesox, though they sit on my shelf.
54 5,326 Read More
Re: Brownells?? How times have changed John Roberts 05/02/24 01:56 AM
Originally Posted by Shotgunjones
Is not Brownell’s owned by Crow Shooting Supply?

You would be correct. Not Midway.
JR
4 255 Read More
Re: Brownells?? How times have changed Shotgunjones 05/02/24 01:43 AM
Is not Brownell’s owned by Crow Shooting Supply? The same people who destroyed Gamaliel?

And yes, their website sucks. Their catalog was no prize either, items apparently shown at random.
4 255 Read More
Re: Baltimore Arms Co C grade English. Marks_21 05/02/24 01:34 AM
Good things come to those who wait?
If the date stamps on my photos are accurate- it’s been almost 10 years?
In early winter of 2014 I found a straight grip, Baltimore Arms Co C grade listed in an auction. Unfortunately, the auction was 6 months prior to my discovery. I put some feelers out and asked the folks on this forum and low and behold I pretty easily came up with the dealer who had purchased and still had the gun. By the Spring of 2015, I was able to get the gun. However, despite it being a once beautiful and still a wonderfully presentable gun, the barrels were a conundrum like I have never seen before or since.
In a very cartoonish fashion, the barrels bowed upwards. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how they came to be that way. They were not dented, nicked, or scratched, but it was as if the gun had been turned upside down and beaten over a rail- repeatedly. There were SIGNIFICANTLY bowed upward. If the barrels were set upside down on a table, the breech and the muzzle would touch the table and a marble could be rolled under the middle of the barrels!
The dealer was upstanding to a T and agreed to allow me to send them to be further inspected before ultimately taking a return. There is no shortage of wonderful vintage doubles out there, but I was quite disappointed as this one really appealed to me.

I considered keeping it and later fitting another barrel set to it, I may wish I had... I haven't seen a Baltimore barrel set for sale... I haven't seen many full BAC guns for sale since.

DID anyone here come up with this one? Was it salvaged?

It is now 2024 and I have located another Baltimore Arms C grade straight grip. It DOES NOT appear as nice as the first, I believe the engraving on the "new one" lesser on every panel ... 30 serial numbers difference in the two, but with some luck it will be useable and fun to see. The new find is still inbound, I hope it surprises me in a good way.
3 146 Read More
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.