April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Hal M Hare, CJ Dawe, SKB), 1,011 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: What grade D. M. Lefever & Sons Jimmy W 04/20/24 01:36 PM
Exquisite engraving!! On both guns!!šŸ‘
4 432 Read More
Classic & Custom Single Barreled Sporting Rifles @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: I have posted this to warn others about this fraud buckstix 04/20/24 01:30 PM
Well, the fraudulent seller just got another NEGATIVE from a guy that paid about $3,500 for a Luger that was faked.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1042425415

But the fraudulent seller is still selling on Gunbroker. Gunbroker has done nothing to stop him.
30 2,241 Read More
Re: Super Diana 28 Gauge canvasback 04/20/24 01:26 PM
Looks good Bob
11 729 Read More
Re: Super Diana 28 Gauge rtw 04/20/24 12:38 PM
Sweet!

Kudos!
11 729 Read More
Re: Super Diana 28 Gauge CJ Dawe 04/20/24 11:53 AM
Nice stockwork
11 729 Read More
Re: Advantages of a Lefever over a Smith? Drew Hause 04/20/24 10:54 AM
Pre-1913 Smiths were listed with some gradation of English Walnut, and French Walnut on higher grades

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
49 2,182 Read More
Re: Super Diana 28 Gauge Fudd 04/20/24 06:40 AM
Made of Wow, Mister Cash. Please drop me your address so I can plan my retirement and dotage around burglarizing you and shooting porcelain penguins with that thing until its wood splits.
11 729 Read More
Re: Conversion - from pin-fire or percussion gun? Argo44 04/20/24 03:17 AM
To finish this inquiry, these questions were really raised at last September Vintegers' shoot in Pennsylvania when I looked over a John Dickson central-fire dated per his records from 1865. On holding it I immediately said "converted pin-fire" and was met with hostility. The records proved me wrong.

https://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=635255
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
10 656 Read More
Re: New WC Scott Jimmy W 04/20/24 01:41 AM
Nice gun, AGS.
6 557 Read More
Re: L.C. Smith Pre-1913 Jimmy W 04/20/24 01:22 AM
I have 1901 for the 10 and 12 gauge (non-ejector). The year 1900 ended at 105917 for the 10 and 12 gauge (non-ejector). The serial numbers in 1901 went up to 111681 for that year. So, 1901 is correct.
17 827 Read More
Re: Canvas & Leather Gun Slip - Teales UK Jimmy W 04/20/24 01:06 AM
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] This carries four boxes of 12 gauge if you want to carry something smaller.
19 1,157 Read More
Re: Canvas & Leather Gun Slip - Teales UK Jimmy W 04/20/24 01:05 AM
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] These do have latches to keep them closed. They are just open right now.
19 1,157 Read More
Re: Canvas & Leather Gun Slip - Teales UK Jimmy W 04/20/24 01:03 AM
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]These are really popular among clay target shooters. They're made by Shamrock Leather in Minnesota. The bags are just under $300.00. The side pouches are around $50-$60.00 a piece. They hold eight boxes of shells in the main bag. The smaller carrier holds 4 boxes of 12 gauge shells.
19 1,157 Read More
Re: Advantages of a Lefever over a Smith? RyanF 04/20/24 12:23 AM
Didn't Lefever mostly use English walnut? That's a significant upgrade vs. most American walnut.

I weighed Last Dollar's 28" Lefever 12 and it is right at 7 lbs. I have another one with very, very thick tubes. They slightly overhang the face of the action fences. It's disassembled but, I would guess it is well over 8 lbs. Has anyone else seen this overhang?

I envy how one could order what they wanted back in the day. You can't really configure a custom citori. Well Bob Cash does but his name is Cash.
49 2,182 Read More
Re: Please Consider a Donation to BBS ChiefC 04/19/24 11:57 PM
Dave, new to site, a little something sent via wifes paypal Charci cause I havent a clue where she stashes all my money :-)

ChiefC
17 10,709 Read More
Re: Advantages of a Lefever over a Smith? Lloyd3 04/19/24 10:05 PM
Fair enough, but judge a gun fully on its merits.

The later Elsies (especially in the lower grades) were cookie-cutter and mass-produced, as were all the American entry-level guns (especially after 1913 - when import tariffs on cheap foreign guns were dropped). Accordingly, they had issues associated with those early automated processes (one of them clearly being problems with stock-cracking). The very early guns (certainly pre-1900, with the Syracuse and the "transitional" Fulton guns being even more-so) were almost completely hand-made (in an artisanal process much-like what the Brits still use today [when they aren't using CNC machines]). As you would expect, these early guns were much better in every possible aspect (art, materials, fit & finish, & function). The numbers produced were very low (extremely low when compared to post-1913 production) and they are not "commonly" encountered. Until lately, good information about them was limited to basically one book (Brophy's) and a few resident experts (who weren't all that forthcoming with information either). I've been a gun-guy all my life and I knew almost nothing about the earlier guns. If you do happen to encounter one (and it's healthy) they normally command a fairly high price, and for good reason.
49 2,182 Read More
Re: Advantages of a Lefever over a Smith? Ted Schefelbein 04/19/24 09:17 PM
Make you a deal. Iā€™ll just be honest. There are guns (and cars, and toasters, and washing machines, etc, etc, etc) that have issues. We will not pretend about them, and if guys are willing to live with and deal with those issues, so be it. You, do you.

But, we donā€™t pretend anymore. Fair enough?

Best,
Ted
49 2,182 Read More
Re: Internal Server Errors keith 04/19/24 09:13 PM
Thanks for looking into this Dave.

I brought it up because it seems to be getting a bit worse over time. It has happened to me on two different P.C.'s and my Android phone, and using different WiFi networks, so didn't appear to be anything on my end. I figured it might be a sign of an incipient hardware failure.
8 555 Read More
Re: Advantages of a Lefever over a Smith? Lloyd3 04/19/24 09:09 PM
Now Ted...play nice or I might end-up thinking I've been "casting pearls before swine" here.
49 2,182 Read More
Re: Advantages of a Lefever over a Smith? keith 04/19/24 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Drew Hause
Has anyone here seen a Lefever that looks like this; unrelated to a fall or dropping the gun?
Help me out Ted wink

IMHO these cracks start at the head of the stock and extend toward the butt

Yes Ted, the Preacher obviously needs help here.

I have seen a Lefever with a similar stock fracture, and it didn't happen as a result of recoil... any more than this example from the Preacher's vast photo collection happened from recoil. In the case of my Lefever, the cause was careless handling during shipping by Fed Ex. The gun was intact when I bought it, intact when the seller boxed and shipped it, and broken nearly in two when Fed Ex delivered it. The box also showed obvious signs of rough handling.

In the photo above, all it takes is the simple power of observation and reasoning to SEE that the widest part of the split is near the end of the top tang. The split runs along the direction of the grain (which is not optimal in terms of grain layout through the wrist), and the split becomes more narrow as it runs forward, and then appears to terminate somewhere under the lockplate region. I would bet that if we could see this gun with the lock removed, the end of the split would be at least an inch or two from the head of the stock.

If this was caused by recoil, the widest part of this crack or split would be at the origin of the splitting forces, namely the head of the stock. The famous cracks behind the lockplates of L.C. Smith's are largely due to the wedge effect of the rear of the lockplate. The amount of wood removed during inletting, and the fragile nature of the old wood are contributing factors. This wedge effect is also the greatest cause of stock splits behind the top tangs of guns like the Parker and Remington doubles. We don't know precisely what caused this stock split, but if we observe and use reasoning, we SHOULD also be able to see those signs of damage in the checkering on either side of the split. That sort of thing is not seen in recoil induced splitting either.

Originally Posted by Lloyd3
Ouch! Just recoil did that?

Short answer Lloyd... Absolutely not!

BTW, you should think about making room for that F Grade if the condition and price are right. It will hold it's value far better than paper dollars, that are being severely devalued by Biden-flation.
49 2,182 Read More
Re: Advantages of a Lefever over a Smith? Ted Schefelbein 04/19/24 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by Drew Hause
Has anyone here seen a Lefever that looks like this; unrelated to a fall or dropping the gun?
Help me out Ted wink

IMHO these cracks start at the head of the stock and extend toward the butt

Well, yea:

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

The second gun, with the crack starting behind the lock plate needs to have a good ā€˜Smith take a look at it and stabilize the crack. Many were the guns that had an issue like this and were just run until they didnā€™t run anymore.

The other gun needs work. Badly cracked. Wood sometimes just breaks to be mean, it is one of those things, no specific reason, and sometimes there are excellent reasons that wood breaks, like, behind the lock plates of an LC Smith.

Best,
Ted
49 2,182 Read More
DoubleGuns For Sale @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Reduced! 1892 Lefever "G" Grade 12ga, 30" Damascus Recoil Rob 04/19/24 08:20 PM
Steve, I sent you a message about shipping info and you removed yourself from the conversation, what's up?
5 862 Read More
Re: L.C. Smith Pre-1913 Drew Hause 04/19/24 08:06 PM
Both the No. 00 and No. 0 were available with the HOT after introduction 1904-1905

"all original LC Smiths barrels come in a dull brown-blue hue" is incorrect. As David said they were finished in "black & white"

Full size high resolution images are easy to post on the LCSCA site, and there are certainly experts there who could help decide if the gun has been refinished.
17 827 Read More
Re: Browning Superposed Field Rib? John Roberts 04/19/24 07:52 PM
I've owned probably 10-12 solid rib Superposeds, both 12 and 20 gauge, and all of them were Grade 1 field guns. They were usually 1 1/2 x 2 1/2 x 14 1/4 to a Browning buttplate, with a few being 2 3/8 at the heel. Maybe one had 2 1/4 d@h. They ranged from early '50's to early '60's production. It's pretty rare to find one from that time period with less drop than I mention.
JR
7 483 Read More
Re: L.C. Smith Pre-1913 ChiefC 04/19/24 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Lloyd3
Short answer...pre-1913 guns have had more human interaction involved in their manufacture. Even in the lower grades there are some nice touches (bushed firing pins, better shaped actions, nicer wood-to metal-fit and even better wood).

Thanks again Lloyd, that answers/confirms 1901 as production year and Quality as why Pre-1913 Smiths are sought after a little more.
17 827 Read More
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.