April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (12boreman, Ian Forrester, buckstix, FlyChamps, 1 invisible), 209 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,035
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
DIY Gunsmithing @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Checkering tools rwarren 04/21/24 03:02 PM
Not many choices. Steve Earl Products or Ullman Precision.
Bob
1 144 Read More
DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Advantages of a Lefever over a Smith? Lloyd3 04/21/24 02:25 PM
Keith:

I am sorely tempted (it is very reasonably priced), but I have another gun receiving the tender mercies of my favorite 'smith and I'm needing to pay him a few shekels first. You can't save them all, I fear.
41 1,863 Read More
Double Rifles, Paradox Guns & Gauge Rifles @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Patched Round Ball in the Pedersoli Baker Cavalry Longknife 04/21/24 01:57 PM
Put em all where they needed to go! I see it has a single trigger and fires the left barrel first? .....LK
1 115 Read More
German & Austrian Sporting Guns @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Hans Jiricek - Stocker - Vienna ellenbr 04/21/24 11:14 AM
Alois Jiricek, the Grandfather of Hans Jiricek, was born in 1871 in Raczice, Czechia and moved to Imperial Vienna. Otto Jiricek, Father of Hans, was born in Vienna in 1904 and also Hans Jiricek was born in Vienna 26 years later in 1930. None of his family, ancestors nor descendants, were in the craft of gunmaking. Hans' specialty was in stock repair, specifically in stockbending and broken stocks where he employed the >>tongue & groove<</„Nut und Feder“ method. With the passing of Hans, this truly marks the end of an era.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
3 222 Read More
Re: ?? ON DOUBLE SHOTGUN MANUFACTURE keith 04/20/24 06:20 PM
Homesteader, I looked at the photo of your L.C. Smith, and am extremely skeptical that this is some original and rare grade or variant. More like 100% skeptical.

Take a good look at the picture. The lock is stamped L.C. Smith in the usual location. There is dark grime, dirt, or whatever down in those stamped letters. Then look at the crude "Mark's Special" engraving. It was obviously added after the gun was case hardened. We can see remnants of the original case hardening colors. Engraving is almost always done before case hardening, because it is much tougher to cleanly cut the case hardened surface. The engraving cuts are shiny and not filled with the same grime or dirt that is seen in the stamped L.C. Smith lettering.

There is nothing here that should compel anyone to go off on a wild internet search, looking for some old defunct Mark's Hardware Store or Emporium that might have commissioned Hunter Arms Co. to produce a shotgun with Mark's name on it. There is nothing here to remotely suggest this was built as a presentation gun for Mark Twain, or Mark Zuckerberg either.

Originally Posted by Shotgunjones
I suggest you start a new thread, and let this one die... again.

It might be entertaining to start a new Thread, just to see who might be naive enough to think you have something almost as rare as the Czar's Parker. I'd suggest you simply accept the gun for what it appears to be... a well used 00 grade L.C. Smith that has been altered with crude added engraving, well after it was built. It is not some rare variation that would be the heart's desire of any intelligent L.C. Smith collector. If it is safe to shoot, then use it as a Rainy-Day-Loan-it-to-Your-Brother-in-Law gun. Don't waste good money on a Factory Letter as you were advised on the L.C. Smith forum. Keep the money to buy some appropriate low pressure shells instead.
39 20,429 Read More
Re: New WC Scott Ted Schefelbein 04/20/24 03:38 PM
Is the right hammer a replacement? I can’t tell from the pictures.

Nice old gun.

Best,
Ted
6 542 Read More
German & Austrian Sporting Guns @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: 1954 Simson Combination ellenbr 04/20/24 03:23 PM
Well, just to to imgbox & upload a stack of fotos & choose >>Adult Version<< and then post. When you view you will have all you wish & more.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
8 208 Read More
Classic & Custom Single Barreled Sporting Rifles @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: I have posted this to warn others about this fraud BrentD, Prof 04/20/24 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by buckstix
Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
What's fake about the Luger? I don't know a thing about them.

I see he has several more items with the same over-hyped salesmanship. Are they all crooked?
Read the last negative comment from the buyer. Most likely.

Indeed. He is racking up negatives pretty regularly now. Interesting that he is an "A" rated seller. I wonder how far he has to slip to become a "B"?
30 2,193 Read More
Classic & Custom Single Barreled Sporting Rifles @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Possible OT help.... Jewell trigger AGS 04/20/24 02:09 PM
I have seen this with many other triggers besides Jewel. When CZ first brought their center fire carbine, it had a set trigger. It was bad about the same thing, and experimentation showed that there was no way to get out of it. If you set the trigger with a chambered round and set the safety, there no course but to find a safe place to point it and hold on while you flipped the safety off. If I remember correctly, you could not cycle the bolt on safe. I suspect this is the reason the trigger wasn't sold for long. They did the same thing in a way with their factory replacement fot their rimfire rifles. Called a Hummingbird or something similar. Great trigger, but very easy to adjust past the point of reliability.

With the Jewel, it is sometimes related to the action and trigger needing to be timed as to engagement. It is more common with commercial and modified commercial actions than with high end clone actions.
3 558 Read More
Re: What grade D. M. Lefever & Sons Jimmy W 04/20/24 01:36 PM
Exquisite engraving!! On both guns!!👍
4 417 Read More
Re: Super Diana 28 Gauge canvasback 04/20/24 01:26 PM
Looks good Bob
11 696 Read More
Re: Conversion - from pin-fire or percussion gun? Argo44 04/20/24 03:17 AM
To finish this inquiry, these questions were really raised at last September Vintegers' shoot in Pennsylvania when I looked over a John Dickson central-fire dated per his records from 1865. On holding it I immediately said "converted pin-fire" and was met with hostility. The records proved me wrong.

https://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=635255
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
10 641 Read More
Re: Canvas & Leather Gun Slip - Teales UK Jimmy W 04/20/24 01:06 AM
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] This carries four boxes of 12 gauge if you want to carry something smaller.
19 1,116 Read More
Re: Please Consider a Donation to BBS ChiefC 04/19/24 11:57 PM
Dave, new to site, a little something sent via wifes paypal Charci cause I havent a clue where she stashes all my money :-)

ChiefC
17 10,658 Read More
Re: Internal Server Errors keith 04/19/24 09:13 PM
Thanks for looking into this Dave.

I brought it up because it seems to be getting a bit worse over time. It has happened to me on two different P.C.'s and my Android phone, and using different WiFi networks, so didn't appear to be anything on my end. I figured it might be a sign of an incipient hardware failure.
8 537 Read More
DoubleGuns For Sale @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Reduced! 1892 Lefever "G" Grade 12ga, 30" Damascus Recoil Rob 04/19/24 08:20 PM
Steve, I sent you a message about shipping info and you removed yourself from the conversation, what's up?
5 827 Read More
Re: SxS muzzle loading shotgun Vall 04/19/24 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Jimmy W
Originally Posted by Vall
[quote=bsteele]I had a “C Gove and Son Denver Colo” 10ga breech opener for a while. The “& Son” mark began in 1876 and was only for a couple years. It was made by WC Scott on the Purdey second model thumb opener patent. Cool gun with a great name, but at 9+ pounds it was not an upland gun so it went down the road.
Wow!! Beautiful!!

Thanks. Whoever did the restoration did wonderful work. I prefer non restored guns, but can't always be too picky. The set trigger screw was frozen up when I got it, and snapped trying to free it up. Fortunately it's a factory single set, so I was able to order the screw once I got the stub out of the trigger.
14 675 Read More
DIY Gunsmithing @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: Stock Duplication---Open-ended Question Stanton Hillis 04/19/24 01:58 AM
Originally Posted by Hoot4570
Thanks guys. Of course, I didn't include the entire story---a failing of mine. I bought a complete barreled action for an 1895 Lee Navy. I have been looking for a stock without much luck and had decided to go try and make a pattern stock, getting it duplicated when I finally get there. Then, wonder of wonders, an aftermarket stock shows up over on GB. I was trying to gauge my bid against the cost of duplication.

I appreciate the input!

All things come to him who waits .........
6 381 Read More
Double Rifles, Paradox Guns & Gauge Rifles @ doublegunshop.com Jump to new posts
Re: New member Waffen-Krauser Munchen Der Ami 04/19/24 12:22 AM
Marplot,
Microsoft stopped it. Raimey( ellenber) also had a problem, I think. Looking at the new photos above, it looks like Krausser built it around Heym parts. A really nice gun.
Mike
7 320 Read More
Re: A mystery pre-war 30-06 JP Sauer came home today buckstix 04/18/24 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by Der Ami
You have mentioned a desire to scope the 8mm and I cautioned against changing the rifle in a way that can't be undone. I have noticed that the front base is dovetailed, and the rear one is screwed down with 4 staked in screws. They can be carefully removed (with screw locations preserved, so that when replaced the stake marks and engraving will match) and a Cerrosafe model of the interior of the bases can be made as samples to duplicate in making new rings. This type ring will be considerably easier to make and fit than Shuler claw mounts would. An important consideration is to ensure the locking lever in the front base doesn't go all the way down and bottom out. If it bottoms out, you don't know if it is tight.
Mike
Hello Mike,
Yes, I will not alter the rifle in any way. In fact I will not even remove the bases. I plan to make a "hook" & a "peg" to precisely fit the bases, and then attach them to some old vintage steel see-thru scope rings that I squirreled away years ago.
14 645 Read More
Re: 20 ga LC Smith Ejector Gun 30" ed good 04/18/24 02:43 PM
see new price...
4 976 Read More
Re: Birmin ham chic ed good 04/18/24 02:42 PM
see new price...
6 1,166 Read More
Re: WTB Purdey label susjwp 04/18/24 11:48 AM
Check eBay. Peter Dyson in the UK, Henry Krank, have repros. There is a poster on eBay in the Ukraine that has both paper and leather trade labels.
2 139 Read More
ISO Aime Maisonnial label Dave in Maine 04/17/24 11:00 PM
I'm looking for a label - original, reproduction, computer file of the image, I don't care - to go with my Aime Maisonnial. Intend to build a hard case for it and a label would be very nice to have.
0 68 Read More
Re: E.M. Reilly; History; Chronology; Serial Numbers Argo44 04/17/24 08:58 PM
Chapter VIII. 1860 – 1867: 58. 1863-1873: Pin-Fire vs Center Fire
The chapter has been edited to include observations on two styles of center-break, Central Fire rifles and shotguns being offered in the 1865-1869 time period,
-- Thin fence, noseless hammer guns which copied pin-fire type actions, which was widely used 1865-1870
-- Broader and deeper fences with a back splash guard and normal hammer, which became ubiquitous from 1870 - 1930
. . . . . .based on the following line:
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=645601#Post645601

I will add that this attempt at understanding the relationship between "Central Fire" guns from 1865 and their pin-fire precedents began with this misunderstanding. I looked at the Dickson and immediately said, "converted pin-fire." The Dickson records say otherwise. It stuck in the mind and this germinated into the above understanding:

https://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=635255
971 1,782,978 Read More
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.