Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Fellas,

I’ve taken something on that I may regret, but I’ve contacted Lyman Products about resurrecting a product that they discontinued back in the 1960’s when roll crimping fell out of vogue.

At that time, and for many years prior, Lyman produced a little roll crimping head in the various gauges that chucked up in either a hand-held drill or drill press. They even made a large, hand-crank tool designed around these heads called the Lyman Ideal ‘Star’ Roll-Crimper.

Those of you that have had the pleasure of using this small roll-crimping head know that it turned out beautifully tight roll crimps far beyond what today’s reloading supply houses are offering. The key to quality here is likely Lyman’s six small ‘bumps’ (or rollers) within the head that effect such a nice turn-over………whereas modern roll crimpers often have just one, or possibly two such rollers. I’ve used one of Lyman’s 12 ga. crimpers for rolling Federal paper loads (pictured) for the various vintage shoots I attend and have had folks claim they looked better than the vintage crimps from many years ago. A good friend uses one for his plastic Federal 16 ga. loads (also pictured) with much satisfaction…… as they sure look pretty.

So what’s my commission from Lyman, you are asking? Well, none actually, but I do need a quality 16 ga. roll crimper and have gotten Lyman to possibly reconsider once again manufacturing this item …..based on shooter response.

So, I’ve offered to float this information around on a few of the shotgun-related boards to query what interest might be out there for their tool in 16 ga., 10 ga., and possibly 20. I’ll provide Lyman the links to these threads, with their assurance that they will review shooter response and decide whether it merits a limited run.

A very helpful woman in their Product Development Div. even went so far as to rummage around the plant and discovered a dusty box of a dozen 12 ga. roll crimpers from the end of production, which are being made available for $18. ea (less shipping) through their Customer Service Dept. Attn. Nancy, (800) 225-9626. (Consider that most of today’s crappier ones run @ $30. a pop!) Once these dozen Lyman crimpers are gone, they are truly gone, but ordering one would at least give you the opportunity to see for yourselves just how well they do work.

But more importantly, I’m needing to hear if any of you would likely purchase this little tool from Lyman - if remanufactured – as well as positive reports from those of you that have and still use this product. I’d ask that you remember the Lyman folks will be reviewing all of this so please keep it polite, concise, and to the point. Who knows, but with the current resurgence in vintage shooting and loads, we might convince them to make a one-time limited run in 20 up through 10 gauge.

Stranger things have happened, and ‘Thanks’ in advance to all of you who choose to contribute your thoughts.

Rob Harris

Conner, MT

Last edited by Robt. Harris; 06/05/09 11:55 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just now ordered one of the 12 gauge crimpers so there are only 11 left. Also urged them to start making them again in 12 and 16 gauge.
nial

Boxlock
Boxlock

Yes Sir! I think they crimp the best! Good market for Lyman as the ones now avilable are junk compared to Lyman's old one! I'd like to have one in 10ga, 16ga, and 20ga Lyman.... I have 12
Robt, you think they could be talked into a special run if they are nervous about bring them back as a ctalog item?

DorN

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ten gauge is what people need because the only cheap empties available are 3 1/2" and when you cut them off, there is no crimp memory for a star crimp. A roll crimp is the only sensible way to load those things as far as I'm concerned. I would also like an eight gauge, but I won't hold my breath.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: doubleornothin
Robt, you think they could be talked into a special run if they are nervous about bring them back as a ctalog item? DorN

Well, that's a question I'm hoping to eventually get an answer to from the folks at Lyman. I'm just appreciative that they'll even review these responses and decide if there is a market, limited or not.

Eightbore,

I concur that the Lyman 10 gauge head is just as much needed as the 16 at this point, but now that the few 12 ga. ones will soon be sold out, my wish is that all three of these gauges could one day be again available. I've a 'ten' that I'm about to be handloading for and could sorely use one. No luck finding one so far.....

All Best,

Rob

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd like one in 16.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rob, I love your over shot cards. Where did you get those!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Dave,

They are actually made up and printed off the home computer. Mine are the Harris & Hussy ones (as shown, and not to be confused with Harrison & Hussey, the gunmaker) as my wife can be a bit of a 'tart', but more truthfully, helps with the assembly of these 12 ga. black powder loads. The purple sixteen with the airborne pigeon was done by a good friend who is much more adept on the computer than I, and in fact, helped me with the design of my over-shot card. You can set these up to get about 150 cards out of one 8-1/2" x 11" sheet of heavy card stock. Then either punch them out or cut them out at your leisure.

I'll warn you though, you wouldn't want to use them with your name on them if heisting the corner convenience store as they do end up everywhere! .....but at least they are biodegradeable and fun to use in the old, vintage guns. Glad you liked them.....

Rob

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a 10 and 12ga. would buy a 16 and 20

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd certainly take one in 10 gauge if it were offered. And I'd probably stockpile a 12 and a 16 as well, just to have them in case I ever went to short shells in either gauge.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.