April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (ChiefAmungum, Der Ami, Argo44, AGS, Jeremy Pearce, Hoot4570), 405 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,795
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You're a 19 year old kid.

You're critically wounded and dying in
the jungle somewhere in the Central Highlands of Viet Nam .

It's November 11, 1967.
LZ (landing zone) X-ray.

Your unit is outnumbered 8-1 and the enemy fire is so intense from 100 yards away, that your CO (commanding officer) has ordered the MedEvac helicopters to stop coming in.

You're lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns and you know you're not getting out.

Your family is half way around the world, 12,000 miles away, and you'll never see them again.

As the world starts to fade in and out, you know this is the day.

Then - over the machine gun noise - you faintly hear that sound of a helicopter.

You look up to see a Huey coming in. But.. It doesn't seem real because no MedEvac markings are on it.

Captain Ed Freeman is coming in for you.

He's not MedEvac so it's not his job, but he heard the radio call and decided he's flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire anyway.

Even after the MedEvacs were ordered not to come. He's coming anyway.

And he drops it in and sits there in the machine gun fire, as they load 3 of you at a time on board.

Then he flies you up and out through the gunfire to the doctors and nurses and safety.

And, he kept coming back!! 13 more times!!
Until all the wounded were out. No one knew until the mission was over that the Captain had been hit 4 times in the legs and left arm.

He took 29 of you and your buddies out that day. Some would not have made it without the Captain and his Huey.

Medal of Honor Recipient, Captain Ed Freeman, United States Air Force, died last Wednesday at the age of 70, in Boise , Idaho I bet you didn't hear about this hero's passing, but we've sure seen a whole bunch about Lindsay Lohan, Tiger Woods and the bickering of congress over Health Reform.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well said, Mike. Thank you for reminding us. Daryl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Mike.
Well said.

Good Shooting
T.C.
The Green Isle
Sidelock
Sidelock

That poor guy has been dying 'last Wednesday' since August of 2008. Still well worth remembering what he did to deserve the Medal of Honor!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

For a good read concerning these Huey pilots google, Operation Dustoff, Maj. Charles Kelly. Kelly was my cousin's husband, and was the driving force behind the beginning of Operation Dustoff. I attended his funeral, which was replete with a fly-by of the missing man formation. Quite an impressive funeral, for a young man like myself.

May we never forget.

Stan

Last edited by Stan; 02/07/11 04:02 PM. Reason: misspelling

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is that 'Too Tall' portrayed in the movie We Were Soldiers?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
Is that 'Too Tall' portrayed in the movie We Were Soldiers?

I wouldn't think so. Kelly was killed July 1, 1964. The battle at Ia Drang was in November '65. Great movie, though. Great book, too.

Stan
"Too Tall" (to fly) was Ed Freeman

Last edited by Stan; 02/07/11 06:19 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, that was Ed, 6 foot seven, portrayed by Mark McCracken in Col.Hal Moore's, portrayed by Mel Gibson,"We Were Soldiers One and Young". President George Bush, the first, awarded him the Medal of Honor for gallentry above and beyond the call of duty in actions in the IaDrang Valley, LZ X-Ray, November 1965. as was pointed out above he's been gone since August 2008 but it's still well to remember our heroes since they're becoming harder to find IMHO.

Best Regards, George

To see my guns go to www.mylandco.com Select "SPORTING GUNS " My E-Mail palmettotreasure@aol.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, Mike. Your post was so right-on it could have been chiseled in stone.

Just a few night's ago I mentioned to my wife that I think the word "hero" has taken over as the most abused word in everyday parlance. The former? "genius"

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.