March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Lawrence Kotchek, Karl Graebner, Licensed to kill, KDGJ, Argo44, 1 invisible), 835 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,023
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#190842 06/01/10 09:55 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

We had a customer bring this gun into the shop and leave it for a recoil pad replacement. The original pad is curved at the base so I'm asking here if there is a contact number for AY in the U.S. to get an original pad.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If there is no OE replacement, you can cast a base to fit the curve of the wood and have a flat face fo a replacement recoil pad. Brownell's accra-glas with black dye is one good casting material. Coat the stock with wax or other release agent, plug the pad screw holes, wrap with stiff tape, and pour a cast level with the top of the tape. Remove the cast after it sets, remove any flash, fill any air bubble voids (super glue works good on small imperfections), polish, flatten face as needed, drill screw holes and any lightening holes, and install the new pad.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Damn, I was trying to avoid all that. Bummer no replacement.
Thanks though.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Seems kind of unlikely to me that the curved recoil pad was a factory job, BICBW. I'd cut the curved part off and install a normal, good quality pad in the normal way. I like Pachmayr Decelerators. I usually put a .6" thick one on .410s and 28 gauges. That way, you leave as much wood as possible for the next owner, who may want a longer LOP than I do. To me, a pad, forced into the curve made for the original plastic plate, looks like a half-a$$ed amateur job. And probably was.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've had excellent results bending Pachmayr Old English pads to fit a curved butt. I just heat them up using very hot water to soften them up and bend them by hand to match the curve. If you go at this slow the base will bend and not crack. It may take a few heatings to get the result you need. I would also suggest sanding the back of the pad to give a good,flat surface to start with.

Doug Mann
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was wondering if I could heat and bend. I always grind both the mating surfaces for best results. Thanks for the info Jim but, the customer has stated that he does not want it cut flat.

Sidelock
Sidelock

All the AyA fourtens that I have seen just had a plain wood finish butt and no recoil pad. It could be an after market addition rather than an original. Unless it is the single .410 Cosmos model and I have a feeling that that one did have a pad. Lagopus.....

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.