Originally Posted by Shotgunlover
It is probably best to leave the sear geometry last, after ensuring that all other causes (such as wood shrinkage etc) can be ruled out. Sear work is one of those "once done cannot be undone" things and I have seen some high end double ruined by a rush to change the sears. All by skilled smiths who were too busy or too lazy to proceed cautiously. Like they say, fools rush where angels fear to tread etc.

A.H. Fox guns sears are some of the ones that amateur "gunsmiths" destroy the proper angles on the sear ends from time to time, and through the years I have heated Fox sears in my forge and forged the tips longer and recut the angles and rehardened and tempered the sears---and they are still out in the field working. A.H. Fox sears are particularly problematic if too short as their length is critical to other functions of the gun than just trigger pulls as many of the participants of this site know.

Yes, "sear work is one of those once done cannot be undone" things for so called gunsmiths who do not know anything but part changing.