Originally Posted by canvasback
I'm not so sure I'm as enthusiastic about Charles the person.

Good Lord, you said a mouthful right there.

Later this month, I’ll go to the grave of my mother and father at the Fort Snelling National Cemetery, and put flowers on their graves and pick up whatever is left from previous trips. Dad was an orphan, and the perfect candidate for the 30 year career he served in the Marine Corps. Eileen Mary Catherine Nolan, my mother, was Irish. She could trace her family back to about the mid 1300s, and if she had ever learned to use a computer, could have likely gone further. I told her as much. But, she thought doing so would add very little positive to the very negative family history she already knew.

Her opinion today would be vastly different, on almost every, single, point than Gene’s. I have simply let most of what she told me go, she knew the date her last living relative was killed in Northern Ireland, but, to a much younger me, it was far away, and I was glad for only that.

To the Englishmen who read here, I’m glad the ceremony was beautiful, and peaceful. No disrespect intended, but, I missed it.

Carry on.

Best,
Ted