I grew up hunting with a hammer SxS, never knew better than to be intimidated by hammer and flushing birds. I killed my first grouse on the wing with one near Stevens Point and my first pheasant near Racine and pretty much everything I killed was with a hammer gun. Reach pulled the right hammer as I was bringing tthe gun to my shoulder. IF I needed another round it wasn't that slow to reach up and pull the second hammer. Wish I had some pictures from the 50's and 60's. I hunted a number of years with a Beretta O/U percussion shotgun and it worked on grouse and ducks in MN and N. WI.. I still rely on a hammer shotgun for ducks. I used a hammer drilling doing control work in southern WI in the 1960's and still kill some coyotes with it.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Mine aren't fancy but still do the job

The hammer shotgun from my youth, it hung in my BinL's country grocery store with my old-time ice harvesting gear and some of my collectable trapping gear until he sold the place, now it all adorns his livingroom and entry way with his big bass and antler collection.

I did gothrough a period of modern equipment but 20 yrs ago started to phase them out again.