Karen,
I found there to be a learning curve when I developed my browning and etching process, what has your experience been?

These days I do not etch much, very little really, and rarely finish damascus as it just does not fit into my shop schedule. On the rare occasion that I do brown barrels, I use a modified browning formula out of Angier's and a 29% Ferric Chloride solution reduced 9:1, not dipped but applied with a brush and washed off immediately.

How do you etch your barrels Peaches?

Did the process you tried the first time end up becoming your final one?

In 2008 I had an apprentice in my shop, great guy, no secret there. Manito Lara was his name and he did outstanding barrel browning, he no longer works for me so after 2014 I had to work out the process on my own. It took a bit to figure out, I can do it but it is usually not worth my time to offer browning services.

One point of correction though Karen, Manito Lara did all of the browning in my shop while he was employed with me, I did and always have done my own rust blue. You are lying in the other thread about me asking Doug to blue for me, never happened, I did not like Doug.

Here is a gun I completely restored, including the browning. That was a great rifle....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A close up of the browning and a bench made front sight, all done in house by me except Charles Lee inlaid the Gold bead.

A set of shotgun barrels that I browned.

If you ever get the courage, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would enjoy seeing the work of an expert such as yourself. Maybe you could take the time and offer us some advice from your extensive experience. Stockbending maybe? wink

All my best to the biggest princess on the board.
Steve