I'm with Stanton on this one. For me, it is not about cost or recoil. I realize some of us are on a budget. Others may have an injury or are at an advanced age in life where recoil is a genuine concern. Using 3/4 oz. in a 12 gauge will definitely save you money. However, whether you are shooting clays or live birds I want a decent amount of shot in the air. if you shoot competition you will understand why. 1 1/8 ounce of shot in a 12 gauge just "feel right" to me. I shoot all the gauges as well including 4 and 8 gauge. I shoot 1 1/8 ounce in a 12 gauge for the same reason I shoot 1/2 ounce in a .410 bore. Can you imagine shooting 1/4 ounce in a .410 gun? Doesn't make sense does it? When it comes to pattern and pure enjoyment I prefer shooting a light 10 at everything. Live birds get 1 1/4 ounce of English 7's with black powder or smokeless. When shooting clays I like using short 12 gauge inserts in my 10 with 1 1/8 ounce of 8's or 9's depending whether I am shooting sporting clays or skeet. Can't beat the pattern characteristics of a 10 bore period...well that is not entirely true as the 8 gauge is slightly better but not very practical. The old guys knew that back in the day. The extra weight doesn't bother me as a heavier gun settles into the hands better for me anyway.