May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (AGS, bushveld, Karl Graebner, 1 invisible), 634 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,508
Posts545,633
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
BrentD, Prof, bushveld, David Williamson, graybeardtmm3, improved modified, ithaca1, John Roberts, mc, Ted Schefelbein
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Drew Hause
Drew Hause
Unknown Belgian Maker (barrels possibly by Gilles Heuse, Nessonvaux) c. 1898-1910 "Cast Steel" - by METL's composition analysis very low carbon AISI 1002 with a measured tensile strength of 54,500 psi (similar to pattern welded barrels). Both bores with marked pitting.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Chambers lengthened by Briley Manufacturing 3-2019; requested Left 2 3/4", Right 3".
Briley BTW does not afford an "in the interest of science" discount frown

…………………………..LEFT………………………….…RIGHT

……….…..………Before……….After……….…..Before…………After

Chamber…………2 5/8”…….….2 13/16”………..2 5/8”……………3”

Bore………………0.723”………………………...... 0.725”
………(Marked 18.2 so possibly previously honed; 18.4 mm = .724”)

…………………………………WALL THICKNESS……………………………

End of chamber
……….Top……….0.100”……….0.090”………….0.105”……….0.086”@2 7/8”
…………………………………………………………………0.090”@3”
……….Side………0.110”……….0.110”………….0.122”………..0.102”@2 7/8”
…………………………………………………………………0.110”@3”
Start of forcing cone (estimated about 1/2” in length before chamber lengthening)
……….Top……….0.127”……….0.100”………….0.120”……….0.108”
……….Side………0.132”……….0.115”………….0.147”……….0.120”
3 1/2”
…….....Side………0.114”………………………….0.133”
4”
……….Top……….0.110”…………………….…….0.104”
……….Side………0.104”………………….……….0.125”
9”
……….Top……….0.072”………………….……….0.084”
……….Side………0.080”………………….……….0.084”

Summary of measured end of chamber wall thickness:
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=379803&page=3

Summary of recommended wall thickness:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZIo0y746UsSRZIgRuuxwAbZjSBHitO_EanvwLYc-kGA/edit

Impression
I was previously mistaken and now surprised by the loss of wall thickness lengthening one chamber only 3/16"

Lengthening a 2 5/8" chamber to slightly longer than 2 3/4" resulted in a (new) end of chamber wall thickness of about 10% less. There was also a significant loss of WT at the start of the forcing cone, but the resultant WT was still greater than the end of chamber WT.

Lengthening a 2 5/8" chamber to 3" removed about .020" of end of chamber WT, resulting in a below recommended WT.

I would NOT lengthen any vintage double chamber with end of chamber WT less than 0.110".
Liked Replies
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by ed good
so then, what conclusion can one draw from this thread?

Different ones of us may draw slightly different conclusions, but you will draw none. That's because you always want others to do the thinking, and the leg work, for you. You do nothing in the way of research for yourself.
5 members like this
by Drew Hause
Drew Hause
Actually Dogfox, I only impersonate a metallurgist here on DoubleGun.
I have however spent a lot of personal $s and time studying and discussing vintage gun barrel steels with the engineers at METL. It is quite likely that the "Cast Steel" barrel is Decarbonized steel, but I will know for sure when I have it zapped along with the vintage double frames for composition analysis. Those of us choosing to use ancient and obscure guns might be interested
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dnRLZgcuHfx7uFOHvHCUGnGFiLiset-DTTEK8OtPYVA/edit
I've also researched wall thickness recommendations (see the links above) and have discussed such with gunsmiths. I should have made clear that my recommendation was for vintage doublegun barrel steels.
I'm simply offering an opinion, and interested in opinions of others, including yourself. Please share yours, and the basis for that opinion.
2 members like this
by KY Jon
KY Jon
I think that crack is an artifact. It loops back onto itself if you follow it upwards. Could be a fiber. But the overall point to me still is why do many of the alterations that we do to guns. I no longer recolor guns. I no longer alter chambers, I just load shells that fit and are the safe pressures. But to be fair I have too many guns so it a gun is "marginal" for use I just do not use it anymore. It is a judgement call and people need to figure out their comfort level and do as they deem fit. The too short chamber, anti Damascus police, have no room in my life.
2 members like this
by Joe Wood
Joe Wood
Thanks, Drew, for your information. While it is but one gun it does offer a good illustration of the potential effect and consequence of lengthening chambers. Keep up the good workno one else is stepping to the plate with firm data. If nothing else data like this should cause those contemplating such changes to hesitate and reconsider.
1 member likes this
by Mark II
Mark II
Dr. Drew do you have the action to try a test to destruction ? I am absolutely not advocating lengthening chamber, but I bet it would pass proof. We all need as much "meat" as possible in barrels, as accidents happen. Sherman Bell's previous tests seem to indicate the old ones are tougher than some people give them credit for. But human nature what it is, people can even blow up new steel barrels. ymmv
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.