May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, MattH, KY Jon, 2 invisible), 1,159 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,510
Posts545,655
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
GLS, John Roberts, Karl Graebner, RARiddell, Run With The Fox, Ted Schefelbein
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#628967 04/20/2023 8:55 PM
by FallCreekFan
FallCreekFan
“Bamboo rods are like really good whiskeys or vinyl records. People who think they’re better and worth the money should get them. And people who don’t shouldn’t.”
John Gierach

With the perceived decline of (or is it the increased) interest in double guns I’ve been thinking about this quote and wondering how much it may apply to doubles. (BTW Gierach has plenty of both.)
Liked Replies
#628969 Apr 20th a 09:16 PM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
IMO, his quote is pretty much spot on. There are things of interest to me that I will spend, what most might call, stupid money on. I still look for a good deal on them, however, not wanting to get "upside down".

I know what you mean by "the decline in interest in double guns", but with the prices some auction houses are realizing for them I'm beginning to wonder about that, so called, decline in interest. FWIW, I've had what is considered to be the best in whiskey, and have owned lots of vinyl LPs and 45s. I spend my money on neither, so I guess I'm in the group he calls "people who don’t". grin
2 members like this
#629027 Apr 21st a 10:19 PM
by PALUNC
PALUNC
I personally like the finer things in life. I am not a rich man but I strive to have the very best I can afford. And in many instances more than I can afford.
2 members like this
#629124 Apr 23rd a 04:44 PM
by GLS
GLS
The past and present Brit gunmakers are to doubles as to what past and present American split cane rod makers are to rods. Both are at the top of their crafts. Gil
2 members like this
#629035 Apr 22nd a 12:02 AM
by BrentD, Prof
BrentD, Prof
Originally Posted by Bluestem
Wax poetic about bamboo rods if you like, but I have never seen a sport using one to have anything other than a modern (i.e., plastic) line slithering through the guides. Yes, you can still buy silk lines, but nostalgia has limits and practicality takes over.

If you can still buy silk lines, some "sport" must be using them. I was not aware that they were available. More power to 'em.
1 member likes this
#629004 Apr 21st a 04:23 PM
by Daryl Hallquist
Daryl Hallquist
The cane rods sort of relate to modern rods like driving a vintage car relates to driving one of today's. It is more than just the performance that counts in the enjoyment. In the same way, the vintage guns I shoot ad something to the experience that modern guns cannot.
1 member likes this
#629034 Apr 22nd a 12:00 AM
by Bluestem
Bluestem
Wax poetic about bamboo rods if you like, but I have never seen a sport using one to have anything other than a modern (i.e., plastic) line slithering through the guides. Yes, you can still buy silk lines, but nostalgia has limits and practicality takes over.
1 member likes this
#629060 Apr 22nd a 01:40 PM
by arrieta2
arrieta2
I enjoy fine split bamboo rods too. Like a fine shotgun do they fish better that a fiberglass rod, probably not. But like a nice shotgun I appreciate the hand workmanship and the small number of the ones made.

John Boyd
1 member likes this
#629063 Apr 22nd a 02:03 PM
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
I used to fish silk lines regularly. The older rods I was using had the smaller line guides. Silk is 3 times denser and only 1/3 the diameter of modern lines. It's great to use but....it does have a care and feeding component. There are now modern equivalents that mimic silk's characteristics. Sylk was one.
1 member likes this
#629142 Apr 23rd a 09:21 PM
by Run With The Fox
Run With The Fox
Agree- heard a story about Harold Steele Gillum-lived in Litchfield, CT. and like Everett Garrison, was a "one man" shop producing top quality split cane rods, whereas H.L. Leonard , Thomas, and Jim Payne were more into production of rods with many very skilled workers on an "assembly line" basis. Story about "Pinky" Gillum was he was extremely secretive- worked out of his house in the basement, and when a rep. from A&F in NYC made a call on him one evening, his wife invited him in, and shouted down the stairs going to his basement shop "Harold, there's a man here to see you about your fly rods, and Pinky came up, well-worn shop apron on, and holding a 3" wide sash paint brush in hand, said: "Sorry, I was just getting ready to varnish a few salmon rods- what can I do for you!"" RWTF
1 member likes this
#629141 Apr 23rd a 09:15 PM
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
Silk lines used to only float for me for about 4 hours and you'd then have to turn them around or dry them and re-dress them. There are now beeswax based line treatments that will last much longer. In the western US, silk really hasnt been that much of an inconvenience. I'd just unspool the damp line onto the floor of my truck and it'd be dry when I got home. In more humid climates....maybe not.

In rods designed for them, silk line really makes the rod come alive. Fishing today actually, in New Mexico on the San Juan below Navijo Dam, but....with modern equipment (Hardy stuff).
1 member likes this
#629316 Apr 27th a 08:34 PM
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
I’m OK with fundraisers.

I support many. They are what they are.

As a guy who has been facing health challenges for 14 years now (with only one end in sight), my perspective on obstructionism or overcoming challenges has probably evolved differently than for others.

I don’t look for excuses to say no. I find ways to say yes.
I even apply that in my career. They pay me to find the way.

I want all of my equipment worn out and threadbare when they close the lid on the box. Even if it meant that my last five trips were at a local pond.

I don’t want to buy anybody’s stuff at their wife’s yard sale, I want to see them wear it out even when it’s hard to do.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.