May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 305 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,737
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
canvasback, graybeardtmm3, mc
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#629116 04/23/2023 3:12 PM
by Ploughjogger
Ploughjogger
I’m aware that most makers made multiple grades of double with perhaps extensive variation between grades. I’m wondering what goes into grade that we can still readily observe. For example, does the amount of engraving give us a rough idea of original grade, or the figure in the wood? What else would have distinguished a “best” gun from something bought for a keeper, or some other lower grade?
Liked Replies
#629121 Apr 23rd a 04:12 PM
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
Certainly the wood choice as well as the external engraving can be generally used for stratification of grade.

But gun companies are in the business of selling guns. Certain brands were well known for putting all the money on the outside, and leaving the inside rough as a cob.
Others extended their extra finishing to the inside.

Don’t forget, sometimes, a manufacturer used different mechanisms between grades. That also effects quality tier.

Learning which models and features are desirable, evaluating condition, etc., are all part of the learning curve for double guns.

And, in my opinion, very possibly the most fun part.

The best lessons are the ones you pay for.
1 member likes this
#629255 Apr 26th a 02:12 AM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by canvasback
Ah, those French eh Ted.

Trying to keep track of the grades from Manufrance is impossible without a chart. And it gets worse for the high grades.

I was in the actual Manufrance building, well, part of it, anyway, when I was there. The entire building was about 8-10 blocks long.

The commissary was still across the street, a higher end restaurant when I was there, had a few good lunches that week. The Darne works was right next to Manufrance, and the St. Etienne chamber of commerce.

I had access to a ton of information about Manufrance, should have pursued more, but I had limited time. I concentrated on Darne, and, to a lesser extent on G. Granger, as Herve’ Bruchet and he were buddies, and besides, Richard was very accommodating with his time and what he was working on. I was about like your typical American tourist who wanders through H&H or Boss over in England, with the staff knowing this guy likely couldn’t afford one of the bow ties they sold, but, Richard was gracious, and considered me a friend.

I should have spent a month there. I should have ordered a new RHS and figured out a way to pay for the SOB when I got home. I should have kicked my crazy girlfriend to the curb before I left, and partook of some of the interesting ladies I met in the Irish bars that were all the rage back then (most of the bars had good looking, imported, Irish girls working them, who were thrilled to speak English to an American). Come to think of it, that would have made study of the Manufrance guns tough, as well.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Best,
Ted
1 member likes this
#629157 Apr 24th a 01:42 PM
by AZMike
AZMike
Just think:
Sears Roebucks--Good, Better, Best.....
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.