May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Purpleshells), 1,117 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,513
Posts545,667
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
bushveld, eeb, Jtplumb, mc, Parabola
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#636552 10/18/2023 5:51 PM
by Culit
Culit
Hi all,
Looking for some help.

This was my grandfather’s shotgun. Here's what I know about it. SN: 143655, 16 gauge, sxs, 26 ¾ inch, black powder, Krupp 3 Ringe Weapons Grade Steel, chocked barrels, 70 mm chambers, extractor, Greener safety, made March 1 or Jan 3, 1908, by J P Sauer and Sohn, Suhl, Germany. The Krupp barrels were made in Essen Germany. Barrels have a mirror finish. There is also a single crown on the right side of the flat. I’ve read that was Sauer's indicator of excellent barrel material and shooting abilities.

The engraving of the dachshunds is very detailed. If enlarged, there is a buckle shown on one collar and faint markings of field vegetation can be seen around them.

Any help identifying what model it is, what the initial T on one and the initial W on the other underside of the barrels indicate would be appreciated. The initial H appears on the flats of the stock. Is this a rare gun? I can’t find any similar photos of this fine 1908 Sauer sxs shotgun. Let me know if any of my interpretations of markings et. are incorrect.

Would hand polishing the flats affect the value? Approximate value of this shotgun?

Thanks,
Bob

enter web address for gallery of photos. No password needed

[img]https://bobbasil1.shootproof.com/gallery/22699817/home[/img]
Liked Replies
#636562 Oct 18th a 08:40 PM
by keith
keith
That is a nice shotgun in pretty nice condition considering its' age. I don't see a lot of vintage German doubles that have a straight grip stock. It certainly doesn't look like it has ever been refinished. Some here would say that the mirror bores would indicate they have been honed, since it was built prior to the introduction of non-corrosive priming. But I'd say it was simply proof that the owner was a guy who knew enough to clean and oil the bores after shooting it.

Cleaning the flats with some 0000 steel wool and oil would not hurt the value. I would refrain from using any abrasive cloth or sandpaper at all. And if you get exuberant and start polishing the rest of the gun, all bets are off. Incorrect cleaning and polishing, no matter how well your intentions, will adversely affect the value. The outside of the frame looks like it still has a fair amount of case hardening colors hidden under some oxidation. Some guys here have found that case hardening colors in this condition can be dramatically restored with cleaning in an ultrasonic cleaner. You can do a search of old threads here for ultrasonic cleaning, and probably see photos of what is possible. So don't scrub that stuff off.

There is also a sub-forum here that specializes in German and Austrian guns, and you might get some more information from guys who hang out there. The best way I know of to ascertain value is to watch the prices for completed sales on the larger gun auction sites. But you have to compare guns in the same grade and overall condition, and remember that even things like the time of year or the day and time an auction closes can affect the final sales price. Opinions of value are often misleading at best.
2 members like this
#636619 Oct 20th a 10:33 AM
by L. Brown
L. Brown
You should definitely keep that gun as a family heirloom. Per the serial number list I have from a Double Gun Journal article, 1908 is the correct year of production.

The fact that the gun does not have "Made in Prussia" would indicate that it was not made for export. Do you have any idea where and how your grandfather acquired the gun? Guns in Germany were confiscated by US occupying forces after WWII. Some of them ended up coming home in duffel bags. At any rate, the gun was likely initially acquired in Germany after which it made its way to the US.

looking at photos from the DGJ articles, your Sauer is not one of the really high grades. The higher grades would have had a scalloped receiver rather than the straight line back which yours has. Going higher grade still, those guns had incredible deep relief game scene engraving. But yours is clearly not just an entry level gun either, as indicated by the engraving. As Ed pointed out, the Greener side safety is somewhat unusual on a Sauer. The closest I can come to a possible model match for yours would be a Model VIII. Same cocking indicators. Same straight backed receiver.

I'm sure you may read more from Sauer collectors. Enjoy your gun! My very first classic sxs was a Sauer from the between the wars years. Far more basic than yours. No matter the grade, Sauers of the vintage of your gun were all very well made. Enjoy it!
2 members like this
#636631 Oct 20th a 04:26 PM
by Der Ami
Der Ami
Culit,
I didn't "blow up" any of the photos, until you mentioned a 70 on the extractor. Such a mark, indeed, indicates the chamber was lengthened to 70mm (2 3/4") and special ammunition is not likely required. My opinion differs from others very often, but polishing the barrel flats as you described would not hurt at all. If my German gunsmith friend took this gun in for any work, he would likely also polish the barrel flats, the sides of the locking lugs, the extractor, and the muzzle, if corrosion was present; I saw him do this many times, just as an automatic service. These are areas that would have left the factory polished bright. If these areas are blued on a German gun, I would suspect it was reblued in hot salts making the rib solder joints suspect. In my opinion this gun should be used and cherished by you and/or other members of your family.
Mike
1 member likes this
#636632 Oct 20th a 05:32 PM
by canvasback
canvasback
Originally Posted by Der Ami
Culit,
I didn't "blow up" any of the photos, until you mentioned a 70 on the extractor. Such a mark, indeed, indicates the chamber was lengthened to 70mm (2 3/4") and special ammunition is not likely required. My opinion differs from others very often, but polishing the barrel flats as you described would not hurt at all. If my German gunsmith friend took this gun in for any work, he would likely also polish the barrel flats, the sides of the locking lugs, the extractor, and the muzzle, if corrosion was present; I saw him do this many times, just as an automatic service. These are areas that would have left the factory polished bright. If these areas are blued on a German gun, I would suspect it was reblued in hot salts making the rib solder joints suspect. In my opinion this gun should be used and cherished by you and/or other members of your family.
Mike

My gunsmith, CJO from this board and many of you are familiar with the quality of his work, would polish those areas as well.
1 member likes this
#636735 Oct 23rd a 05:08 PM
by LeFusil
LeFusil
Like I said, I’ve never seen a Greener side safety block anything other than the trigger blades on any FP, a&d, or trigger plate. Admittedly, I have NEVER been inside a drilling. I didn’t notice that any of the guns that were being discussed in this thread were drillings. I’d still be very interested in seeing any action where either the Greener side safety or a tang safety blocks the movement of the Hammers/Tumbles or sears. I’m always up to learn about new solid info.

Dustin
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.