doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Kensal Rise Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/22/10 07:29 PM
It's been a while since I've posted, but wanted to point up my most recent Love-Hate experience with the good folks at Galazan. This one involved $1895 worth of their new extra barrel sets for original Parker 0 frame guns.

First, the Love: I unabashedly love Galazan/CSMC. Nobody else does what they do, and nobody else could even consider offering a product like this. I'm grateful to even have the chance to dump this much money on a "new" set of Parker barrels.

Now the hate: Their customer service stinks. Especially when I'm phoning in, ready to drop nearly two large on a set of barrels they haven't even made yet. My issue? A simple question. Will they make these barrel sets with extractors or ejectors as you wish? And do they come with a "wedge bite" or the old solid steel bite?

Simple stuff. But the lady who answered the phone didn't know. However, the fellow she transferred me to in the shop said they would make them either way, as I liked. Cool. Now about the wedge... he told me most 0 frame Parkers didn't have the wedge. What did that mean? I said mine did. He said they didn't know if these barrels would have a wedge bite or not yet. I said I'd order them anyway, and I got the lady back.

I told her I wanted a set of 28-bore barrels with an extractor. She said they didn't offer extractors. I said the fellow "out back" just said they did. This went round and round for five minutes. I eventually asked for Tony Galazan, assuming he might be able to clear it up for $1895.

I got someone who I assume was Mr. Galazan. He told me it was "ejectors only" but they would work like extractors if my gun was so built. True enough. He then hung up. And I was cut off.

In a dogged effort to enrich Galazan by a measly $1895, I phoned back. I got the original lady. I then put my $500 deposit down on the barrels against an indeterminate delivery day.

I also ordered a few other Galazan goodies, then said "goodbye."

My point here is this: Grace, appreciation and deference to the customer seems to have evaporated in today's world. And, sadly, the shooting world as well. It was almost like Galazan couldn't be bothered by some bumpkin who wanted to spend only $2000 with them for a product that doesn't exist yet. Amazing.

Nonetheless, I'll still deal with Galazan. I've been married before. And I can take the abuse.

Best, Kensal
Posted By: H&H12 bore Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/22/10 07:42 PM
Know how you feel. I get miffed when certain well known gun dealers get all hussied up when you ask them barrel specs.

"We didn't measure that" well could you?
If I am getting ready to spend 6500.00 on an antique gun with damascus barrels then you had better well answer to the best of your ability without the attitude. or better yet like some of the lesser known dealers, put the barrel specs in the listing and avoid all these "pesky" questions from us tire kickers.

H&H
Posted By: gunut Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/22/10 08:01 PM
Sir;
For $1895 are these barrels fitted to your receiver and forend or just taken off the top of the stack and sent to you parcel post...leaving the fitting and all the added expense in your lap??..."I said Id order them anyway" They know when they have a addict in there sights....promise him nothing and make him pay 4 it...
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/22/10 08:23 PM
laugh crazy cry ...all in the name of "fun" too. Why do we do this to ourselves????
Posted By: RHD45 Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/22/10 08:32 PM
I like Kensals attitude. When we lose our sense of humor we lose something that is essential in this world of ours.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/22/10 10:00 PM
I'm going to buy the barrels. Every time I've bought a set of barrels that don't fit my gun, I wait seven years and either I find a gun that they do fit or someone offers me three times what I paid for them. I thought the Skeuse .410 barrels were expensive at $900. Today, I'd like to have a set for three grand.
Posted By: Kensal Rise Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/22/10 10:14 PM
Friends:
Thanks for your humanity. I try to look on the brighter side of things -- arduous as that may be at times.

And no... the barrels allegedly come totally finished, blued and ready to fit right-out-of-the-box. I trust whatever fitting is necessary may not endanger the finish, etc. But if there are "glitches" I expect that to add that expense to the outlay.

But what the heck. This is supposed to be fun, right?

Best, Kensal
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/22/10 11:19 PM
If the CSM barrels are supposed to fit "...with minor fitting..." as they claim, you'd think they would offer the fitting service?
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/22/10 11:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Kensal Rise

I got someone who I assume was Mr. Galazan. He told me it was "ejectors only" but they would work like extractors if my gun was so built. True enough. He then hung up. And I was cut off.

Sounds like the guy I met several years ago.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/23/10 12:40 AM
I believe they do offer to fit them, or at least that's what they told me when they first came out with 16ga barrels and I asked a few years back. They were quite up front that some fitting would be necessary.
Posted By: chopperlump Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/23/10 12:46 AM
Glad my Nitro Specials shoot as well as those 3 grand guns. And I'm a republican, too. Chopper
Posted By: gunut Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/23/10 01:55 AM
My friend has a I think '1896' damascus barreled 0 frame 20ga GH.....wonder if he would put out $2000 for a aftermarket set of steel barrels for it.... I think not ...fact is he keeps trying to talk me into buying it ....once again I think not
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/23/10 01:56 AM
Certainly they will require "fitting". How many barrels have you tried from one double, to the next, that fit. Some may be close but it is rare for them to fit. I have fit a few barrels from one donor gun to another and found it takes a few minutes to more than I can do without a few choice words. Luck of the draw for 2K. I would have them fit them. If they can not do it tell them to keep the barrels.
Posted By: Coryreb Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/23/10 03:00 AM
I recently had a similar experience just last week with CSMC.

After bragging a few weeks back about the customer service I got when I called a few weeks ago to upgrade the wood on my RBL, I received equally bad service last week when I was in the area.

I was called by a client to visit New York for a meeting last Wednesday. I jumped on a plane 6 AM on Thursday morning and landed into NJ about 8 am. I called CSMC as soon as I got off the plane to try to schedule an appt to visit the gun room. When I called, the customer service person asked what I wanted. I said I was in the area on a rare trip to New York, I live in the mid west and I really wanted to visit the gun room as my RBL is there, being fitted with new wood and I was also thinking of having an A 10 made.

She said she would check with Lou and get right back to me. Well, she came back to the phone and said, we have no appts available AT ALL for Thursday. I got off the phone, checked the flight schedule for return flights for Friday and figured I would just fly out later on Friday than planned so I could visit the gun room on Friday. Flights were available later so I called back. Talked to Lou and he said "Friday's are busy here, we don't have time for you to visit the gun room on Friday."

So, no appts were available for TWO DAYS for me to visit and order a min. $5k gun? Wow. Times must be great if you can turn back customers willing to fly in and drive up to order a 5 to 10 k gun. Priced what I wanted online and it was $8k.

Oh well. I need to use the crap out of the RBL and my 21's anyway. I just can't believe that a customer that has already spent several thousand with the company cannot get an appt to walk the gun room and show them what they want but apparently, it is impossible to accomodate on any kind of regular basis with CSMC.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/23/10 03:54 AM
They, CSMC, are not real good about dealing with customers in person. Not the first dealer or factory with poor people skills. I have dealt with other dealers and makers who act like you are their long lost son when you call. I have had them pick me up at the airport, meet me in person and take time to answer all question asked. This for a sale from a few hundred dollars to several tens of thousands of dollars. Service and personal attention makes me much more likely to spend money. Poor service, short or poor answers to specific questions tells me my business in not very important or appreciated. Call it a good list to deal with.

CSMC in not on that list. No sin. They are what they are. They make a decent gun and will sell you it for their price. Do not expect top notch service, instant answers to questions or even fast response to questions. If you will be happy buying and shooting a gun out of the box you are in luck. If you want a custom made gun, for a tenth of the going rate, you will be a little unhappy.

I bet if you called a K-80, Kolar or P-gun dealer and asked to see his guns they make room for you. Life is short, buy where people like you and your money, not just your money. The real test is does the dealer answer you calls the week after the sale? That is the mark of a dealer you can deal with over and over again and also send other to in the future.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/23/10 12:58 PM
A friend contacted them recently about a used gun in their inventory. He's no rookie when it comes to doubles and asked all the right questions. Based on their answers, he had them ship the gun. Well, he showed me the questions he asked, showed me the gun, and virtually every answer they gave him was wrong. He asked whether the chambers had been lengthened, and the response was that an empty 2 3/4" shell drops in just fine. Wait a minute . . . GALAZAN SELLS CHAMBER GAUGES! I even own one. They couldn't use one of their OWN chamber gauges to answer that simple question?
Posted By: dubbletrubble Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/23/10 01:18 PM
I have always found that the woman that answers the phone is rude and not helpful.
I always feel like I'm begging for everything from her.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/23/10 01:56 PM
Begging a women is a bad habit to start. cry Just ask me.
Posted By: Nitrah Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/23/10 02:01 PM
you guys must be wrong. No one else could have taken a skb action, rounded the frame, laser engraved it and charged so little as twice the price. Plus we have countless tales of how great they were to fix all the problems these guns had, from ejector rods to poor finish.
Posted By: Joe Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/23/10 02:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Nitrah
you guys must be wrong. No one else could have taken a skb action, rounded the frame, laser engraved it and charged so little as twice the price. Plus we have countless tales of how great they were to fix all the problems these guns had, from ejector rods to poor finish.

Yah, but at least the A-10 is "hand made". crazy (please read sarcasm here if you are not sure).
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/23/10 02:53 PM
I don't see how barrels that are made to fit from one size to a smaller size can fit. If you had a 28 ga, and were going to .410, the breech end would have to be larger on the .410 set to match up to the 28 ga. breech balls. The same would be true for a 16 ga set to fit a 12 ga gun.

I think Larry had it right, you would have to send them the receiver to have them fit, then blued. Unless of course you wanted to do the job yourself. I would think the fitting would be extra.
Posted By: Joe Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/23/10 03:04 PM
When I was considering ordering a set of their mythical .410 Parker bbls last summer (I decided not to as I don't like to give someone my money with the hope that someday I'll get something in return), I asked them about weight and fit. I was told the .410 bbls would fit the 28 ga forend (is that possible?) and that they would weigh no more (is that possible?).
Joe
Posted By: Kensal Rise Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/23/10 03:19 PM
Friends:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed a less-than-genial demeanor at CSMC. I only hope that I (some day) get a pair of barrels that will come close to turning up to my frame, do not require cutting wood from the forearm, and can be fit without much ado.

God only knows where the firing pin centers will be.

Still, I keep telling myself that I've spent more than my deposit money in one night in Vegas. And couldn't talk about it on any BBS.

Best, Kensal
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/23/10 04:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Joe
Originally Posted By: Nitrah

Yah, but at least the A-10 is "hand made". crazy (please read sarcasm here if you are not sure).

Yeah, I used to say that about our airplanes: "All hand made, no two alike" laugh
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/23/10 04:14 PM
"God only knows where the firing pin centers will be."
That is the main question. You would have to know if the frame sizes are the same between gauges.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/23/10 05:23 PM
Originally Posted By: JDW
"God only knows where the firing pin centers will be."
That is the main question. You would have to know if the frame sizes are the same between gauges.

I think the Repro barrels should be pretty straight forward for at least the 0 and 00 frame guns. The 0 frame was used on the 20g Repro and the 00 was used on the 28g Repro.

I have no idea on the issues for the CSM barrels proposed for the original Parkers.
I can't say that I'm that impressed with CMSC on customer service, some has been good, some so-so. It's hard to get employees to represent your company the way you would like it represented. With that said, not all cutomers are good customers. In my line of work, it's amazing how many customers don't come prepared to do business. I wonder sometimes if they have ever purchased anything before in their lives. One problem that I think double gun owners have is that they think that because they are spending so much money on a double gun, that they are entitled to exceptional service. Sure you maybe spending a lot of money, but the clerk is not only waiting on you, but probably 3-4 other people, trying to please everybody is tough. One should not expect to be treated like they are the only customer a business has ever had, unless you are a Crown Prince, Arabian Royalty, or Russian Mobster/Oil Baron. One thing that would help CSMC is to staff the phone with a knoledgeable person that knows something with out having to put you on hold, or call you back.
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/23/10 09:50 PM
"One should not expect to be treated like they are the only customer a business has ever had, unless you are a Crown Prince, Arabian Royalty, or Russian Mobster/Oil Baron"

Why, is their money different than yours or mine? Also regardless of how many people call on the phone and ask about certain items, issues, problems, or things that they might not understand, it is the persons job to help out as best as he/she can and be polite in doing so.
Remember, McDonald's is hiring.
Posted By: Linn Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/23/10 10:18 PM
Just before retirement I had occasion to teach a sales course to a number of in-house employees. Key to the program was:
1) treating customers right over time builds Customer Satisfaction
2) Customer Satisfaction over time builds Perceived Value
3) Perceived Value over time builds Customer Loyalty

Loyalty means that the Customer comes to you first--with problems, questions, etc. They want to buy from you, the focus on price goes down fast.
Lastly, it costs less to keep a customer that it does to get a new one.
Posted By: GF1 Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/23/10 10:41 PM
This was easy for me - met Tony at a big show, he acted rudely (I was ready to order a new 21...not so fast); spoke to Lou about a gun on the phone a few years later, ready to buy as well, he acted like he was irritated and doing me a favor to speak w/ me. That was enough.

Might be the water up there in the NE, but I want nor more of them. And from what I've since seen of their production (including the new A-10 in the latest SSM, talk about wood to metal fit!), I have no pangs of regret.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/24/10 02:58 AM
My perception of the commisioned guns I've seen (Fox and 21), was that they were impeccable for their price. My perception of their RBL line was that they were inconsistant in quality, mostly finishing quality.

The first real indications I heard about customer relations issues was when the RBL project was started. I think that's when their personalities started showing. Expectations for them were high and pressures were high as well. They've continued to stay in the pressure cooker with their following projects with the RBL variants and now the A-10 line, all the while continuing to offer the commissioned type guns. It's gotta be a tough place to work at sometimes. But, that's no excuse from me. I think they need some professional PR and sales staff to go with their growth. Obviously, Tony and Lou have shown chinks in their armour and it's gotta be hurting them in the long run.
Posted By: GregSY Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/24/10 03:18 AM
I guess this is kinda like when a kid sees his old man drink bourbon every day and then people wonder why he has a drinking problem 20 years later.

Training employees to act in a particular manner is really a Band-aid for the real problem. How does one lead a company? By example, not training courses.

What causes CSMC employees to have a crappy attitude? Obviously they see it in their leader and two things happen:

1) They follow his example
2) They know they won't get in trouble for it since he does it

Personally, I can take one look at those gaudy 21's and Foxes and know what to expect.
Posted By: Timothy S Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/24/10 03:57 AM
Originally Posted By: Chuck H
I think they need some professional PR and sales staff to go with their growth. Obviously, Tony and Lou have shown chinks in their armour and it's gotta be hurting them in the long run.

Chuck, I think you hit the nail on the head.

Tim
Posted By: colin.kendall Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/24/10 03:33 PM
In 1994 my wife went to London for two weeks active duty with the Navy Reserve. I asked here if she could visit Holland and Holland and Purdey's for me. Along with her studying for the fleet wide exam and playing tourist, she was able to visit both of these institutions. She told me the personnel at both establishments were extremely courteous and helpful to her. They helped her find a book on each of them that she bought for me and then gave her directions to the other establishment. She came away definitely impressed. It says a lot for the English. Pity the people at CSMC couldn't take a lesson in manners and courtesy. I hate when people, especially those in sales, act like that. I have walked out of stores because the sales personnel were rude. Told the management. Some of them could have cared less. There used to be a gunshop in Woodbridge, Va. around 1984 and 1985 called B&B Guns. I used to go in there, occasionally, and the guy behind the counter was downright rude. Walked out and told him where he could put the sun. later on, he ended up working for National Pawnbrokers in Arlington, Va. He hadn't changed. I heard he finally left.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/24/10 04:51 PM
I've been very lucky. Tony Galazan took the time give a full one hour tour for me and Builder a couple yrs ago. He was genuinely courteous and we were floored he took the time for us. Lou was also very courteous to us while we waited for Tony a few minutes. Your mileage may vary.
JDW the answer is YES. Robber-Barons buy $100K guns like you and I Buy underwear. It could also be that CSMC has East Coast Attitude. a lot of the Eastern Companies that we deal with are not the most Polite. Gotta love N.Y. N.Y. !!!:)
Posted By: Kensal Rise Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/24/10 07:29 PM
Friends:
All of your commentary is most fascinating. And I never expected to see this thread live so robustly. In view of many thoughts, especially those of colin Kendall, this experience comes to mind:

Years ago I was privileged to chat with Peter Blaine, then General Manager at Purdey's Audley House. I asked him what he saw as his major role there. This was his response:

"To make people comfortable with spending this much on a gun."

I recall this because he said nothing about mechanisms, fit, finish, dimensions, models, delivery times, etc. Instead, his primary mission was to engage (sell) the customer on the experience and pride of dealing with Purdey. The product stood on its own merits.

Best, Kensal
Posted By: colin.kendall Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/24/10 08:09 PM
One more experience comes to mind. From 1970 to 1973 I was stationed at the Sub Base in New London. I finegaled a tour through the custom shop that Winchester operated at their New Haven factory. I was greeted by the person in charge. I can't remember his name, but his picture is in the book about the Model 21. He gave me a tour of the facility. I got to see masters of their trade at work on Model 21s, Model 12 Super Pigeon Grades, Model 52s, and some Model 70s and 94s. These gentlemen took time out of their work to shake my hand, show me what they were working on, and answering any and all questions that I had. I was 21 at the time and I came away with a better appreciation as to why these rifles and shotguns cost so much. What really impressed me, though, was the courtesy that was displayed to me. Not all people in New England are like those at CSMC.
Posted By: Kevin Springman Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/26/10 12:47 AM
My experience with CSMC has been nothing short of outstanding. Yes, I have purchased some guns from them, but I visited and contacted them frequently before I ever purchased a gun from them and always received the same great CS. In their defense, I know that they are under-staffed and most have no idea how many calls they field in a day. I have had three factory tours, and their phones ring non-stop and everyone wants to talk with Tony or Lou. We all want to be treated like we are the only customer, but many times unfortunately it is not possible in this crazy, hectic business world.
Posted By: Kevin Springman Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/26/10 12:48 AM
Originally Posted By: colin.kendall
One more experience comes to mind. From 1970 to 1973 I was stationed at the Sub Base in New London. I finegaled a tour through the custom shop that Winchester operated at their New Haven factory. I was greeted by the person in charge. I can't remember his name, but his picture is in the book about the Model 21. He gave me a tour of the facility. I got to see masters of their trade at work on Model 21s, Model 12 Super Pigeon Grades, Model 52s, and some Model 70s and 94s. These gentlemen took time out of their work to shake my hand, show me what they were working on, and answering any and all questions that I had. I was 21 at the time and I came away with a better appreciation as to why these rifles and shotguns cost so much. What really impressed me, though, was the courtesy that was displayed to me. Not all people in New England are like those at CSMC.

Your experience there was exactly like my trips to CSMC. I got to meet with most of their craftsman and all took time to talk with me.
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/26/10 01:59 AM
Originally Posted By: GregSY

What causes CSMC employees to have a crappy attitude? Obviously they see it in their leader and two things happen:

1) They follow his example
2) They know they won't get in trouble for it since he does it

Nailed it, everything flows downhill. I've seen it time and time again. There's a Plumbing Supply Company here in NY, Best plumbing. Everyone there you will talk to is customer oriented, friendly and helpful. I have the opportunity to do work for the current owners, they are the same way. I also had a chance to work for the current owners father many years ago. He started the company and was the same way. It comes down from the top.

I will say however, when I went to CSM it was over 13 years ago, I don't remember seeing Lou there, I dealt with another gentleman, Dick Perret. He was a perfect gentleman. He had the opportunity to introduce me to Tony, who was perfectly rude.

Back in 1985 I was backpacking through Europe, didn't even own a gun but was planning on getting one for hunting. At the time I had read an article about the guns of James Purdey and Sons. So i made my way over to Audley Street, walked in to look around and was promptly greeted, relieved of my backpack and shown around for about 20 minutes or so. I don't remember who it was that took care of me but he was a true gentleman, not at all condescending and answered all my questions. This for a backpacking American in denims.

I knew enough to know I was out of my price range but as I was leaving I was naive enough to ask him what his opinion was of the Browning BPS pump gun I was thinking of getting.

Without missing a beat, not a hint of a smirk, he said to me, "That's the gun made by Miroku of Japan for Browning? It's a fine weapon and will serve you well until you're ready to come back and have us make you a gun."

I still hope to take him up on that offer some day.
Posted By: Bailey PBradshaw Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/26/10 02:17 AM
A good customer and friend once told me "this is supposed to be fun, if it stops being fun, I will find something else to do." That just hit home with me.

I've called CSMC twice and received polite and courteous correspondance. At the recent DSC show, the CSMC booth was manned by a late 30's looking guy who seemed irritated by my precense there, like I had intereupted his social agenda. Went down to Holland's booth to buy a hat, and received all the attention I wanted, nothing more, nothing less. The sign of exemplary customer service. I do beleive it is a skilled position and very important.

Now let me think.....who's name would you say carries more prestigue??
Posted By: kalpich Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/26/10 02:25 AM
I bought an RBL 12 from them last year. It was delivered right on time and was out-of-the-box perfect, and I couldn't be happier with it. I spent alot of time looking at all my options and bought it with both eyes wide open, especially given the fact that CSMC is first and foremost a profit-making enterprise, and not some nostalgic relic of a firm.
Posted By: wburns Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/26/10 03:34 AM
I will take one of them nostalgic relic guns any day over an RBL.
Posted By: builder Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/26/10 03:39 AM
Just after the RBL 20g. was offered for sale Chuck H came East and we took a trip to visit the factory. We were welcomed by Lou who was very gracious and he introduced us to Tony. Tony gave us more than an hour tour of the new factory and the new machines. He was very friendly and took a lot of time showing us around and how some of the machines worked. We took all the pics we wanted. I could not believe how much time he spent with us. I can only say good things about CSM based on a wonderful experience.
Posted By: George L. Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/26/10 04:01 AM
My Dad sold Packards, Auburn, Cord & Dusenberg cars during the 1920's. On his business card he had printed: "The Customer is not always right, but he is always the Customer" I never forgot that, Tony shouldn't either.

George
Posted By: GregSY Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/26/10 04:45 AM
It's pretty clear from what I have read that Tony is a bi-polar manic depressive schizophrenic*. You just gotta catch him on the good days.

*I'm not a doctor but I play one in my toolshed.
Posted By: CParker Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/26/10 05:31 AM
In keeping with the title of this thread here's my two cents... Many of their products are not available anyplace else, I love my RBL, and I like buying American products. That said, my Parker replacement barrels are a total piece of s**t and their customer service is as bad as it gets, just insulting and pathetic... love/hate indeed.
Posted By: King Brown Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/26/10 01:01 PM
"1) They follow his example."You got that right, GregSY.

In another life, as a reporter often working with militaries around the world, I was invariably correct in my speculation about the character of the man at the top from the performance of guys down the line.

With navies, particularly, I can't remember being wrong. Coming up the brow, before stepping aboard, sailors' facial expressions of another nosey landlubber for company were a good line on the captain.

It applies to civvy life, too.
Posted By: SKB Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/26/10 01:18 PM
Recoil Rob,
funny thing is....I had the exact same experience at Purdey's......a real class act that has stood the test of time, even for a young Yank backpacking about.
Steve

As to CSM.....I order online usually, much easier that way.
Posted By: GregSY Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/26/10 01:57 PM
Nobody has manners like the British.

That said, I find their actual performance at doing what they so pleasantly promised can be a bit short at times.
Posted By: nialmac Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/26/10 03:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Kevin Springman
My experience with CSMC has been nothing short of outstanding. Yes, I have purchased some guns from them, but I visited and contacted them frequently before I ever purchased a gun from them and always received the same great CS. In their defense, I know that they are under-staffed and most have no idea how many calls they field in a day. I have had three factory tours, and their phones ring non-stop and everyone wants to talk with Tony or Lou. We all want to be treated like we are the only customer, but many times unfortunately it is not possible in this crazy, hectic business world.

Yeah Kevin, but you are very tall. They might have been afraid. How will they treat a skinny little guy like me?
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/26/10 06:40 PM
Tony Galazan is a quirky, unique character who is hard to get close to or understand all the time; a man of few words comes to mind. He suffered a terrible facial burn as a young person that has left a sizable scar on half of his face and neck area. It may or may not have something to do with how he reacts to or treats people, but he definitely marches to the beat of a different drummer. That may cause him to come across as rude or short to some people, and I understand that, but I really do not believe Tony Galazan is a mean-spirited guy. Having said that, I have had nothing but good, fair exchanges with him in years past, beginning in the very early '80's, way before he started up CSMC and was just a dealer in fine guns.

Lou Frutoso has always been a real gentleman whenever I talk to him on the phone, and I look forward to meeting him in person some day. I've spoken with him at least eight or ten times in the last six weeks or so about a 12 ga. RBL, and he could not have been any nicer. Same goes for Carol H., who answers the phone at CSM often; great gal.

Whatever the case may be, we all should remember that Tony Galazan has brought a lot more to our world of fine guns than anyone else in this country has been able or willing to, and I, for one, am appreciative of that.
JR
Ditto.
Posted By: King Brown Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/26/10 07:02 PM
Fair enough; I have no quarrel with any of the above. I don't think any of us are apologists for rudeness and bad manners, however, especially where we enter in good faith with business.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/26/10 07:28 PM
John Roberts, I agree with your take. I waited a long time to order a RBL, but when the 12 came out I "needed" one to shoot the two or three cases of steel shot I had laying around. Well, still haven't done that, but maybe next fall. My RBL 12 ga came fairly early on and it was ok except that you could see daylight under the adjustable pad, between the wood and pad. I emailed and they responded immediately, sending a handfull of extra pads to try. That didn't do the trick , so they asked me to send the buttstock and receiver back. In a short time I got the gun back, fixed with a new buttstock of somewhat higher quality than the original. In a perfect world things would be perfect the first time, but I applaud their customer relations in my case.
Posted By: Gunflint Charlie Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/26/10 08:38 PM
Six years ago I sent them 16 ga. M-21 for correct and documented "Win. Custom Shop" rebluing, changing pistol to straight grip, and a custom splinter forend. Spoke with Tony on the phone as he examined the gun, got a written quote, and said "go". The gun came back wrong in more ways than I want to detail, and it had to go back 3 or 4 times because when the guy working on it corrected one thing, he damaged or otherwise screwed up something else. The worst was getting it back after barrel rebluing with the right barrel way off face, left one tight to the breech. Eventually they would no longer return my calls and I sent the gun to Andy W., who did good in repolishing/rebluing a poorly polished frame, and refitting the bolt to restore the takeup screw's function after they put the barrels back on face.

I expected to never do business with CSMC again, but as the reports of RBL finish quality became consistently positive, I broke down and ordered one - thinking they might care more about fixing one of their own guns if there was a problem. I did send it back to fix a minor barrel finish problem and a sticky bolt. I can't ask for anything more in customer service than I got from Adam, who assured me they'd take care of the problems and promptly did.

Jay
Posted By: Chicago Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/26/10 11:05 PM
I read this thread with great interest for a number of reasons: 1) I came close to ordering a custom Fox on several occasions 2) I did order and return one of the early RBL's for quality of finish issues 3) My son used to order items on line and 4) I have always thought what they were trying to do may be the last time we see this from an American manufacturer and I applaud these efforts.

My experiences have been mixed and I debated ordering a custom Fox for about 20 years. I spoke to them numerous times and they were generally helpful. For a long time I just could not justify in my mind spending the money when I could get really fine used guns for less. When I was finally ready to pull the trigger in maybe 2005 I called to make an appointment to be fit for a gun and was told they don't do that. After recovering from this shock I asked them who they would recommend and they offered no assistance at all. That phone conversation with Lou saved me about $18,000. So they sell custom fitted guns but neither offer fittings or know anyone who will provide a fitting - very strange compared to any of the Brits.

The issue of quality of finish on the RBL'S has been beat like a dead horse so I will only say they made absolutely no effort to correct the problem so I told them to send me a refund and they did.

My son used to order items on line and then their e-mail system was hacked and his credit card number was stolen, items charged and it took him awhile to straighten all of that out. CSMC offered no apology for his problems, nothing.

Despite all of this I still think what they are doing is great for the double gun world. It is beyond my comprehension how the experiences noted on this thread can come from the same company. I wish them well because when they are gone I doubt we will see another any time soon. They don't fit my needs for guns but clearly do for many folks. I still purchase gun cleaning items from them.

P.S. Don't buy the soft gun case (canvas/leather) the zipper stinks and the thing is huge.
Posted By: boltonguy Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/27/10 02:05 AM
Originally Posted By: Kevin Springman

Oddly enough, my experience is similar to what Kevin describes above. I'm somewhat local, being from Massachusetts, and have spoken with Adam on the phone several times while ordering my RBL-12. I was planning to be in the Hartford, Ct, area today so scheduled an appointment with Adam this morning to discuss some work I'd like to have done on my RBL. He was very friendly and polite and let me poke around their show room for a while and play with an A-10 they had on hand.

I have absolutely had nothing but pleasant experiences with CSMC. But then again, I tend to be very polite and perhaps that helps. Despite the adage that the "customer is always right," some in business firmly believe in sending certain clientele to their competitors, with good reason. We shouldn't need to earn a company's customer service but should not be rude and unreasonable customers either.
Posted By: Ghostrider Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/27/10 02:27 AM
I have been dealing with Galazan for about 4 years. During that time I have had an opportunity to visit the shop twice and have had multiple dealings with Carol, Adam, Lou and Tony. The service has always been great and I have been treated as a valued customer and a friend. I have traded guns, bought several RBL's 28, 20, and a 16. Workmanship very good and the wood nothing short of spectacular. I always try to be polite, and have been treated with respect in return. I am sorry there are those who have not had such experience as mine, It does surprise me.
Posted By: Ithaca Fan Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/27/10 04:09 AM
On a slightly different note one of the best experiences I've ever had dealing with high end gun companies was with Perazzi at the Grand when it was still at Vandalia. As soon as I walked in the door a man walked over, shook my hand and said in his Italian accent "is there anything I can do for you"? The guys at the Browning building were not to be disturbed as they were all in the back on smoke break. When I walked in both buildings I was carrying an Ultra XT. Some day I will take my Ultra XT to the Perazzi bldg and say "yes there is something you can do for me".
Posted By: Dick_dup1 Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/27/10 03:02 PM
I have been reading this Thread with interest over the last few days and at first the usual dissatisfied customers weighed in. Now it appears that another group is making their feelings known. It's interesting how the two groups are so opposite?
I first met Tony in the early 1990's when he was still making M21's for USRAC and was selling his own M21 without the Winchester name. I watched the guns over the years and CSMC evolve into a fine gunmaking company. I have met Tony subsequently and discussed particular M21's with him and found him to be knowledgable, open and honest in his evaluations. I have known Lou for about 10 years and have had many dealings with him, a few in person and many on the telephone. I have found him to reliable and he has a very good memory. Carol has always treated me fine on the phone.
I have an RBL, a M21 and a Fox, all purchased from CSMC. Each of the guns is well made and in terms of the M21 and Fox, I would have paid much more for a gun made in Europe of comparable quality but it just so happens I like M21's and although I had never had a Fox in my hands in my life, had enough confidence to order one from CSMC. The gun was completely to my specifications and I'm well satisfied.
As far as offering fitting, if you can afford the tab for one of the bespoke guns, then certainly you can find a fitter.
As for watching and not ordering a Fox for 20 years for some slight, you have missed out on one of the most superb upland game guns being offered today and if you order today it will cost a lot more than when CSMC first offered the Fox.
I believe communication is a two way street and if you have good communication skills, you will do well in life and get what you want. If your skills are not good and you refuse to learn, then you will be constantaly chafing at percieved slights and problems that arise.
Those that have encountered problems and percieved slights and chose not to business with CSMC because they can't work things out, are missing an opportunity for some great shotguns.
Me, I have some guns I couldn't get anywhere else at the price and they are as well made as any being sold today or being sold in the past.-Dick
Posted By: Chuck H Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/27/10 03:30 PM
Since this thread has mutated a bit to be more about customer service in the gun biz than just CSM, I'll add a little something I heard the other day at the range.

I was returning my friend's CSM 21 .410 barrel and he was sitting with a couple other guys. It turned out one of them was an owner of a pistol range and store/gunsmithing biz geared toward the combat pistol sports. He stressed the importance of customer service over and over and making the customer welcome, regardless of whether they are complete newbies or veteran competitors. This struck a cord with me as pistol shooting was once my biggest passion. It's possible, the single biggest reason I am shooting shotguns today is because the pistol community, in general, was an unwelcoming, clic. The business side of combat pistols was permeated with counter clerks that were more intent on furthering their own agendas or fantasizing about being a Bruce Willis movie character than helping you. The shooting clubs were not much better and some of the members were downright scary people.

BTW, the shotgun crowd, is THE most welcoming group of shooters of all the shooting sports, and the best bunch of people I've had the pleasure to be around.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/27/10 03:35 PM
For anyone near Des Moines, CSMC is at Pheasant Fest through tomorrow (Sunday). They have at least a couple dozen RBL's there, in about every configuration imaginable, plus some Rizzinis and A-10's.

I realize we're mostly doublegunners, but a friend directed me to the Benelli booth and said "Pick up their new 28ga auto." Very close to 5#. Far as I can recall, I have handled one 28ga double lighter than that: one of the old Zoli-Rizzini OU's imported by A&F. That Benelli is a real wand.
Posted By: Gunflint Charlie Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/27/10 04:05 PM
Well, regarding "perceived" problems and unreasonable customers ... I'll add a few more details of what I "perceived" of the quality they delivered after "correcting" the problem they created of one barrel off face on my 21. The gun wouldn't close without forcefully being slammed shut, the toplever was left of center, and the lockup was loose unless the lug bite set screw was turned in all the way - as if it wasn't there at all. My perception of all this left me feeling dissatisfied. If anything I was overly polite in my attempts to get them to take the gun back yet again, knowing I was completely at their mercy to do so or not. They chose not. Carol was always very nice, but the guy I dealt with, Todd - who's no longer there - would no longer talk to me. Obviously they'd reached the point of losing money on my gun.

Like I said, Adam was great taking care of my RBL.
Posted By: btdtst Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/27/10 07:54 PM
My experience with CSMC has been nothing but good. I met Mr. Galazan a few years back and spent about an hour or so with him as he showed me around their operation. Was nothing but a friendly and enthusiastic gentleman. My phone conversations with Carol Hartman, Katie Efty, and the rest have all been pleasant and helpfull and if they could not answer my questions they quickly found someone who could. Yesterday I went to the Pheasant Fest expo specifically to see CSMC's display and met Lou Frutuoso and pestered him with questions for quite some time. Again, nothing but very friendly and very helpful. I ordered an A-10 last fall and wanted to see what I was purchasing. This will be my fifth shotgun purchase from them. I don't/won't spend money with people or companies that make me unhappy....and my wife says everything makes me unhappy since I am old and cranky! YMMV.
Posted By: Last Dollar Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 02/28/10 10:10 AM
Kensal Rise is the name of a street in London...Kensington I think? Que No?
Posted By: Mark Ouellette Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 03/02/10 12:25 AM
A couple years back I “pestered” Lou several times via telephone as I considered ordering an RBL. He was always polite and professional. During the last year I purchased two RBL 12’s. Both had minor issues which surprised me but Adam corrected them promptly. Carol took my orders on both occasions and is as professional as she is nice. In future years I will certainly order more guns from them.
Posted By: GregSY Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 03/02/10 03:10 AM
Tony is just great. A couple years ago I was shopping in their showroom and I happened to mention that I needed a new liver. Tony, right on the spot, offered to give me one of his. Carol drove us to the hospital and Lou even held the IV bag while they did the operation. Afterwards, we shared a semi-private recovery room. You can be sure of one thing - next time I need a major organ transplant, I'll be back at CSMC.
Posted By: RHD45 Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 03/02/10 03:29 AM
I think that pretty much says it all.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 03/02/10 03:51 AM
Originally Posted By: GregSY
Tony is just great. A couple years ago I was shopping in there showroom and I happened to mention that I needed a new liver. Tony, right on the spot, offered to give me one of his.

Tony had TWO LIVERS????....Kidneys maybe...Geo
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 03/02/10 12:41 PM
Lou, who "measured" the chambers on a Parker a friend called on by dropping in a fired 20ga hull, was at Pheasant Fest. They had various tools sold by CSMC on display. I thought about asking Lou what the chamber gauge was for, and asking him to show me how to use it. smile
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 03/02/10 02:23 PM
GregSY,
That's the funniest thing I've read this year.
Posted By: homer Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 03/02/10 04:06 PM
Ditto
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Galazan: Love-Hate Relationship - 03/02/10 04:42 PM
My guess is that Greg won't be getting a new 2010 CSM calendar from Tony.
JR
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com