doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: BIRDSHOOTER stock refinishing - 08/15/10 02:58 AM
refinhing a stock with purdeys warthog system. how fine should my last grit of sandpaper be? 400 or more? thanks, jeff
Posted By: mike campbell Re: stock refinishing - 08/15/10 03:03 AM
Try this:

http://www.outdoors.net/site/features/feature.aspx?Forum=Firearms&ArticleCode=3037&jse=1
Posted By: BIRDSHOOTER Re: stock refinishing - 08/15/10 04:33 AM
thanks mike, want to bring figure out, very nice fiddle back, there were a few in the other post. when you wet this down it lights up. i don't think i want to use the red stain in the purdeys kit ( warthog ). any thoughts? jeff
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: stock refinishing - 08/15/10 05:52 AM
I say go to 600 and then polish w/ 000 or 0000 steel wool to whisker TWICE. You cannot make the wood smooth AFTER the finishing starts unless you remove all the finish. So why bother slapping the oil on 320 surface? The better it looks dry the better it will look period. If the wood looks like you want it wet then stain will get you nothing.
But - I have no idea what the Purdys crap will make it look like. Good luck on that. The best stockers in Italy mostly use TruOil. Wonder why?
good luck w/ the limey goo
Dr.WtS
Posted By: BIRDSHOOTER Re: stock refinishing - 08/15/10 04:44 PM
dr.wts, called the good folks at brownells and asked about stock finishes, what did they think was best then told them that i had the warthog kit, they said that was the best finish.have done a few stocks over but never used this finish. just hoping someone had. thanks for the input. jeff
Posted By: Kensal Rise Re: stock refinishing - 08/15/10 11:30 PM
Birdshooter:
It's just me. But apply the Purdey Warthog as perscribed and worry not. Tru-Oil is OK for a bodger finish. It depends on what you are working on. And English gun? Stay with the Purdey Warthog "crap" in my opinion. But it's your gun in the end.

Best, Kensal
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com