doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: HomelessjOe Doubles and Ducks - 01/21/11 10:48 PM

Had to break ice in Stuttgart Ark. last week....got my limit of 4 Greenheads with 5 shots with my W & C Scott sidelock.

Post up some pics of your duck hunts this year.
Posted By: AmarilloMike Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/21/11 10:56 PM
Great picture Joe - thanks for posting it.

And nice shooting!

Best,

Mike
Posted By: Dave K Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/21/11 11:09 PM
More funny hats !

Enjoyed the pic thou,not breaking ice here,they are driving their pickups out to the bob houses here (just another place to drink).
Posted By: skeettx Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/21/11 11:10 PM
NOW that is what I am talking about !!
Heading duck/goose hunting in the morning
Mike
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/21/11 11:32 PM
Way to go, jOe! I'll be posting some late next week, hopefully. Heading out for the L'Anguille River, Arkansas early Monday morning. Plan to hunt for three days with my Super Fox HE and my BSS 3".

Great picture. Hmmm, 80%, ...........why'dja miss one? shocked

Stan
Posted By: Kraft Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/22/11 12:02 AM
Always good seeing your pictures JOe..... wishing you'd post more often.
Have a good one;
Kraft
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/22/11 02:04 AM
Pardon me, but which of those capable duck hunters is jOe?
Thank you,
Mike
Posted By: GJZ Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/22/11 02:12 AM
The handsome one.
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/22/11 03:27 AM
They are both handsome, but which one is jOe? I'm curious as having had the odd difference of opinion with the lad I wondered what he looked like in person!
Mike
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/22/11 03:35 AM
That's him on the left...Geo
Posted By: Terry Lubzinski Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/22/11 03:57 AM
Not quite sure if my post qualifies.Should be "Singles and Geese"
but pictured is a limit of snow geese taken with a Greener single
10 with 40" barrel and 3 1/2" chamber. 9 1/4 lbs. Not saying we don't miss, but I always get my bird on the first shot......
Terry

Posted By: Tyler Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/22/11 05:12 AM
Glad to be able to put a face with the posts. Looks better in person than in print.
Posted By: RMC Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/22/11 05:28 AM
jOe, Thanks for posting the pics. That's the best part of this Forum. Where's Buster???

Terry, Great and unusal gun, Good pics. That's a great gun to bang away at the Snows. Love the dogs too.

Will dig out pics and post next week. Randy
Posted By: Fishnfowler Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/22/11 06:39 AM
I go out a bit with my 1910 Elsie.

My pup is the real star of the show:

Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/22/11 07:05 AM
Great job Joe, thanks for the pics!!

Sweet looking Elsie!!
Posted By: nhcrowshooter Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/22/11 11:42 AM
My hunting partner and I put a pair of Parker 10 bores, an EH and NH to good use this past season. Opening Day 2010 2nd half NH coastal zone.

Posted By: PA24 Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/22/11 02:09 PM
Good job jOe.........keep it up........

Cheers,
Posted By: lagopus Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/22/11 02:51 PM
Nice to see you hunt with a Chesapeake there Fishnfowler. They are a rare bred here in England but I have been using them for years. I just lost my old one a couple of weeks ago so only have the 2 1/2 year old pup now. I will be getting another in due course. Smart dogs. I use mine for deer tracking as well.

Joe, is that single Greener their 'Far Killing Duck Gun' model? I've not done much duck shooting this season. Something I've done less of since I can no longer use lead shot. I find tungsten based shot the best but very expensive. Lagopus.....
Posted By: tunes Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/22/11 11:11 PM
Hi jOe. Here are some pics from Soth Dakota this past fall. 16ga Seeber and Kent Matrix.

tunes
Posted By: George L. Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/23/11 02:56 AM
Lagopus: The Greener that I have that is marked "Far Killer" at the top of the lever is a 12 bore SxS with 32 inch barrels.

Best Regards, George
Posted By: chopperlump Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/23/11 03:25 AM
I really enjoy the pics and it is nice to associate a face with a name. Good work, lads! Chops
Posted By: dal Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/23/11 03:34 AM

1959 Antonio zoli 16ga. sxs. Two green wing teal and a hen mallard. #5 bismuth, home rolled.

Posted By: Terry Lubzinski Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/23/11 04:00 AM
Hello Lag,
The Greener single 10 only has W.W. Greener,Birmingham
on the top of the breech portion of the barrels, and W.W.Greener on the bar portion of the lockplate. The serial number dates it to 1886. Appears to have been built for thin brass cases and the bore size is closer to 9 bore.
Minimum barrel wall 50 thou plus near the muzzle,about a 100 thou halfway down the barrel.Balances very well.Pretty decent sighting plane and you start off a foot closer to the target....
Terry
Posted By: Dwight Beske Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/23/11 04:11 AM
Hi Terry, all looks great, will try to get after the snows in March/April. Could be a little more ice now with the -25 night before last. Snows wait for open water on the way north.
Posted By: RMC Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/24/11 03:00 AM
Early goose season was as quiet as last years. Have permission on 3 farms. Opportunity came twice during the season. First shown below with the Fox A (early) 12ga.,#1 barrel,30" F/F. Nice handling gun. Second pic is same gun with my girl "Oakley" as in Annie. Two weeks after this pic, I got thrown from my horse and broke my back in 4 places. Rodeo career officially over. Blessed not to have broke my neck. Had to cancel the Dakota outing, first miss in 20plus years.

My parents own a small lake and when my brother and I visit, we bring the guns and dogs to jumpshoot the lake. Always quite a mix of ducks on the lake. Woodies and Hoody fell to my LC Specialty 12ga.,30", M/M. Kept the guns in the truck so my bride (an othopedic nurse) wouldn't get wind of my hunting intensions. Her last words are always "Don't do anything stupid with your back" Getting on the horse was the stupid part. Brother Glen has an outstanding Golden that does the water work.

LC Ideal, FW,12ga., 28", M/F. Nice upland gun, backup waterfower. This day it went to the front of the class and took two geese lifting out of the corn

Oakley's first retrieve,she's just shy of 1 yr., late October, preserve hunt. Outran Glens two goldens, snatched up the bird and delivered to hand. Does it get any better than that.

Posted By: tunes Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/24/11 03:34 AM
Hi Randy,

Great pictures. Sorry to hear of your fall. Here's wishing you a full recovery.

tunes
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/24/11 03:37 AM
Randy, did you ever try professional photography? Those pics are outstanding!!
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/24/11 01:28 PM
Originally Posted By: treblig1958
Randy, did you ever try professional photography? Those pics are outstanding!!

Buy one of his calendars if you'd like to see his good pictures...Geo
Posted By: lagopus Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/24/11 05:17 PM
Terry, it is a nice looking Greener; a no nonsense wildfowler. I have a single 10 by Sumner of Liverpool which doesn't get out half as often as it should. Lagopus.....
Posted By: Coryreb Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/24/11 08:13 PM
You guys and your plastic decoys. Geez. You would think people with doubles would have more class than that. smile

Picture with our hand carves we all carved before the trip out to AK this year.

Picture of my Chesapeake with a Harli

My 13 year old nephew after a good hunt (we shoot mallards too)

Favorite double picture of 2010. My RBL with a Alt. Teal

Posted By: lagopus Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/24/11 08:26 PM
Another Chessie; nice to see. Harlequin ducks too. I have only ever seen a few when in Iceland. They must be about the most beautiful of the ducks. Here's a picture of my old Chessie; sadly no longer with me, and a male goosander (very similar to the North American merganser) that I can shoot under special license here in England as they are a pest to wild trout fisheries. The gun is a double by F.Dumoulin of Beligium. I use it as a carry about gun along the river for potting the goosanders and cormorants. Lagopus.....

Posted By: Coryreb Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/24/11 08:38 PM
Very nice Chesapeake. Great to see good, strong working dogs.

Actually saw a pair of goosanders in Alaska this year. First time I have seen in person. Was not able to get close enough for a shot.
Posted By: Craig Larter Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/24/11 08:47 PM
Super Fox 12ga 32" 3"

Vanderbilt's Simply Divine (call name DeeDee)Watching ducks circle,

Posted By: MarketHunter Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/24/11 08:53 PM
Craig,

Good to see somebody still using a Ken Martin. I knew Ken back in Southern Illinois when I was a young goose guide. We all hunted with his calls till the re-tuned Olt A-50 got so popular.

I visited him at his shop down there at Olive Branch several times till he retired and moved to Idaho again. He was a Parker man, in his hunting days shot a VH 12 gauge which he still had up until his death. I've often wondered whatever happened to that gun.

Destry
Posted By: Craig Larter Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/24/11 09:11 PM
Destry:
Ken displayed at the St. Charles decoy show for years, I bought many calls from him, I still think they are one of the best.
He was a very nice man, I would have loved to shared a blind with him.
Posted By: tudurgs Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/24/11 09:31 PM
Lagopus - A gamekeeper friend of mine who was on an estate on River Findhorn described that all the keepers on the river would arrange several days a year when they would all go out and take as many gosanders as they could. By synchronizing their efforts, they kept the birds stirred up and were able to get more of them
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/24/11 09:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Craig Larter
Super Fox 12ga 32" 3"

Vanderbilt's Simply Divine (call name DeeDee)Watching ducks circle,

Very nice looking Lab indeed- and a female (?) black duck and a male woodie- quite a contrast. I wish the HE 12 I once owned looked as nice as yours- some "shade-tree" gunsmythe tried to convert the pg (as shown on your gun) to a straight hand grip-- didn't know wood grain and recoil- so the stock was splintered when I bought it years ago- Acra-Glas fixed it (somewhat) but it was about as ugly as home-made poop- forearm was replaced with a beavertail that came from a dead beaver- but it shot like a house on fire--alas--

I have seen a few of Ken's fine Calls- my "Dr. Death" for Canadas is the Jim Blakemore custom walnut call I won at a DU Sponsor Event about 22 years ago- he is from Olive Branch, Illinois I believe- the call is signed and with that address-

Only place where I differ from your fine fotos, Mr. Lartner- is the "Bling"-- as the code of both snipers and Mil special ops. is clear (assuming you wish to live) No Rattle-No Shine- so all my leg bands are in a R.G. Dunn cigar box- more from male Mallards than from any other of the waterfowls I hunt- very few hen mallards or woodies or teals that I have seen "in hand" wore leg "irons" mainly found on Canadas- and a few times, more than one per deceased bird--

My 4 year old male black Lab "Khartoum" does great- except for one little "hang-up" Early season before the freezes hit us, I always remove his collar before a waterfowl hunt- so he can't get it caught in brush or debris and get choked- do not use the Neoprene Camo "Vest" on him until it gets colder- BUT- with the vest on- he won't go into the water to retrieve- with the vest off, he's after a dead bird or the rare crippled one like white gets on rice- Figure that one, ey??
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/24/11 11:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Coryreb

Nice pics....I'd like to see some better pics of the dA'coys and how you have them rigged.
Posted By: RMC Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/25/11 05:06 AM
Great pics all, keep'em coming.

FishnFowler,Where are your kids photos? Didn't you post a year or so with your kids and their turkeys? Also, give us a name for your dog. He's an important part of the hunt team.

NHcrowshooter. you guys don't even have a place to sit in the boat. Those Parkers must be pretty tightly choked to select all the greenheads out of the flock. What loads were you using? Are the Parkers both damascus?

Craig, Beautiful HE, Your a very fortunate lad that you posted that photo after Destry had found his HE, He'd have been on your doorstep pleading for a sale. Beautiful photo of DeeDee

Dal, where did you find the greenwing, they are headed south by the time we get the go ahead on waterfowl.

Coryreb, too be young again, great set of pics, the harlequin and Alutean teal are outstandingly beautiful. Hope you brought em back to mount. How did you manage to get the Chessie in your carry on luggage? What's his name? Thanks for sharing.

Geo. Email your address, I lost it.....
Posted By: popplecop Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/25/11 01:50 PM
Used a Western Arms Long Range Gun in 16 with 30" barrels F&F with KentMatrix No. 6s. Very deadly rig for ducks over decoys. Just a hardware store shotgun, but in 90+%, had to put a slip on pad but hey it works for me.
Posted By: Coryreb Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/25/11 04:35 PM
RMC

I did bring them back to have a few to mount. Have a harli, teal and a pair of pacific eider that have been mounted. Also on the trip, we took a fairly good number of ptarmigan and a couple caribou to eat as well. Will have to post pics of those too.

The dog question is easy. Alaska Air is the hunter's best friend. They fly dogs for a flat rate of $100. And they do an awesome job. They always treat us well. That dog in the pictures is HRCH UH Clipper's Dakota Hunter - "Dakota". Also, AK Air flies 100 lb boxes of meat at checked bag price. Flew 400 lbs of meat home for $200. Not bad considering what other airlines charge. I love AK Air!
Posted By: Coryreb Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/25/11 04:47 PM
Teal mounted from the trip...

Bull caribou... (We were there in about two months ago now. The bulls had already lost their antlers.)

First day ptarmigan hunt - 28 in a day. A record for us but the dog helps a lot out there.

Posted By: Coryreb Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/25/11 04:59 PM
Joe-

We took a rig of all cork and wood birds as well as hand made silos. The silos in the picture are floating on a V board. Can't find duck silos that we like so we make our own. We also use V boards to float commercial made geese silos that are readily available.

My partner and I's plastic company makes and sells the V boards that the silos go on as well as a land based model.

There are free patterns for the silos and more information on the V boards on our website. www.sittingducks-ltd.com

Here are some on the Bering Sea while hunting for Pacific Eider.

Fuzzy picture of one batch of harli decoys.

Posted By: MarketHunter Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/25/11 07:34 PM
Craig,

I'd always wanted to hunt with Ken as well but he'd not gunned for years and years even when I knew him in the mid-80's. He'd been a guide at one time and actually gave advertised calling lessons at the club he worked for.

I've got one of his very early goose calls without the name branded on it and the extra large bell mouthpiece. It's the earliest semi-commercial type. The only thing earlier is a straight barrel goose call made from cedar he did when he first got started and just gave to friends. I only know of one of those, have been hunting one for ages to add to the collection.

Destry
Posted By: lagopus Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/27/11 04:09 PM
Tudurgs, and then came the Wildlife & Countryside Act and goosanders got protection in Scotland. As a result they multiplied and spread south and now they are a pest in England. I am semi retired but work part time as a Riverkeeper; that is I look after the fishing interests and ecology of a section of the River Dove in England for the land owner, the same river made famous by Izaak Walton but I look after the section below where he mainly fished. As a result I can get a special licese to cull them from 1st. September through to 15th. April. Pity they are inedible! Lagopus.....
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/27/11 07:13 PM
Pic from a couple years ago. I don't use the forearm on that Western Field 12 ga when hunting waterfowl....just collects water underneath.
Posted By: tunes Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/27/11 08:02 PM
Great Looking Teal mount Cory.

tunes
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/27/11 09:18 PM
The frozen tundra of East Rockaway, NY last Saturday, 1/22/11. The black ducks wouldn't come near us but it was a good day for Canada Geese and brant.

We're less than 2 miles for the NYC line. Every so often I would think I was catching a glimpse of a goose in the corner of my eye but when I turned my head it was a jet landing at JFK.

I'm holding a Stoeger 12ga.

Posted By: Fishnfowler Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/28/11 12:14 AM
Originally Posted By: RMC
Great pics all, keep'em coming.

FishnFowler,Where are your kids photos? Didn't you post a year or so with your kids and their turkeys? Also, give us a name for your dog. He's an important part of the hunt team.

All too glad to post pics of the kids. That was me with the kids all limited out on turkeys with double guns. Here is the oldest boy with his first goose, his gun isn't in the picture, but it is a Savage 330 that both my Father and I shot. He took this goose with 3/4oz of #5 nice shot at 1300 fps and about 20 yards out. The chessie is "Copper," and she is a hunting machine. There is a pic of her with the same goose, it isn't very good, but you can see she doesn't let something like a goose get in the way of a retrieve.

Here is that same boy with his first grouse earlier in the same day, here he has his savage in the pic, (not a duck pic, but couldn't resist).

Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/29/11 01:35 AM
Just got home from Arkansas last night and brought a few pics, as promised.

Wednesday mornings' results, 7 limits of mallards and 5 others

My Arkansas buddies

And my grandson with a few blackjacks in Jawja

all my best, Stan
Posted By: Terry Lubzinski Re: Doubles and Ducks - 01/29/11 02:56 AM
I can see the family resemblance... smile
Nice pics
Posted By: CBL1 Re: Doubles and Ducks - 02/06/11 07:52 PM
Out on the foreshore of the Exe Estuary, Devon, UK using my Paton double 8ga for the first time smile Two double misses at Canada geese but a huge amount of fun had nonetheless. Great memories to cherish during the off-season.

Posted By: suddenthunder Re: Doubles and Ducks - 02/06/11 11:47 PM
Now just how much does your date weight? That girl looks huge, The paton that is.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Doubles and Ducks - 02/07/11 04:13 AM
I can almost hear Destry drooling way down heah'. wink

Stan
Posted By: greenhornet Re: Doubles and Ducks - 02/07/11 04:58 AM
[quote=Terry Lubzinski]Not quite sure if my post qualifies.Should be "Singles and Geese"
but pictured is a limit of snow geese taken with a Greener single
10 with 40" barrel and 3 1/2" chamber. 9 1/4 lbs. Not saying we don't miss, but I always get my bird on the first shot......
Terry

nice gun more picks please blush
Posted By: CBL1 Re: Doubles and Ducks - 02/07/11 09:17 AM
Originally Posted By: suddenthunder
Now just how much does your date weight? That girl looks huge, The Paton that is.

Surprisingly reasonable - effectively 12lbs which for a double-eight is on the lighter side. It has 32inch Damascus barrels which help keep the weight down - but the barrels alone weigh 7lbs smile. With a 2oz load, it almost exactly conforms to the old 6lbs/1oz shot rule so recoil not an issue.
Posted By: suddenthunder Re: Doubles and Ducks - 02/07/11 02:59 PM
THAT'S AWESOME! Congrat's looks like a great shooter!
Posted By: Rigby Re: Doubles and Ducks - 02/07/11 04:53 PM
Tell us more about your Alaska trip. I'm desperate to get up there for a hunt. Where were you? Did you have a guide? I don't know anyone else who has taken their dog up there.
Posted By: MarketHunter Re: Doubles and Ducks - 02/07/11 06:00 PM
CBL,

Very nice, I do like the gun for certain. I've flighted the pinkfeet coming off a loch near Aberdeen with an 8 bore and it's a memory I won't ever forget.

Destry
Posted By: lagopus Re: Doubles and Ducks - 02/07/11 08:22 PM
Markethunter, was that Lock Skene by any chance? If so I have shot there a few times. I used to take a weeks roe deer stalking and a couple of goose flights thrown in. Used the old Lang double 8. Oddly there are more pinkfoot geese than greylags there but try as I might I never got a pink; had a few greys though. A right and left with a double 8 takes some beating. Lagopus.....
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com