doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: canvasback Roblin a Paris - History? - 06/10/13 05:14 PM
I acquired a French made gun a little while ago by the maker Roblin a Paris (according to the top rib).

The gun is not in my possession so the photos below are the only ones I have. They are not of a quality or detail level that I would choose. However, they are the best I have at the moment.

The gun is a sidelock, with 29.5" Bernard fluid steel barrels. #1 of a pair? Estimated production date circa 1900. I have had some communication with Raimey and will quote his notes for reference. Any further information anyone can provide about the maker would be appreciated.

Posted By: canvasback Re: Roblin a Paris - History? - 06/10/13 05:17 PM
Comments from Raimey:

“I believe the concern began with Ernest - Gabriel Roblin in the late 1840s or early 1850s and by 1876 Roblin had French patent 18204 for some addition to a sporting weapons platform, maybe on the Lefaucheux or A&D platform.

By 1889 it is Roblin et Fils and I'm sure when he passed the concern was reorganized under just Roblin a Paris.

Typically a maker worked for about 40 years and if he began in circa 1850 that would pair well with a transition to the son by circa 1889.

Any article from 1890/1891 notes that Roblin has been in business for over 30 years and at the time was one of the few Paris makers who actually had a workshop. They were cited for their innovations and quality.

I assume you know how hard I am on makers that are actually retailers, but Roblin seems to have been a maker, as time and time again E.G. Roblin held on to the fleeting thought that a Paris maker could pretty much make a sporting weapon in house while almost all other Paris makers were flocking to Liege for their wares.

Also he looks to have been a genius, with a French flare of course, on sporting weapons during the most interesting time of the evolution of the sporting weapon. Looking back in time we have 20-20 vision or better but at the time there was no guarantee that any specific maker was going to be the chosen one for the sporting weapon platform for the world and Roblin had it in mind that it might be he.

The attached is an 1863 patent; probably Ernest Gabriel Roblin's 1st and I would guess he had hung out his gun-making shingle some 5 - 8 years prior. I'd have to closely examine your Roblin but it may be the entity Roblin post 1900.

Charles Roblin was the son of Ernest Gabriel Roblin and was noted as continuing the tradition of quality that his father had started. Many times the patents of the hammerless scattergun platform of Ernest Gabriel Roblin is referred to as the Paris hammerless system.

From what I can tell all the proofs are Paris and post 1897. This strongly supports the stigma associated with Roblin; that he held out to the last in being a Paris maker.

Below is a translated contemporary text:

“Another gunsmith, a craftman with undisputed skills, Monsieur Roblin, he only makes shotguns. His weapons are distinguished by their austere style and manufacture. The appearance of simplicity does not exclude the elegance of form, it seems to even add. In details, as in the whole gun, we recognize that the artist is in love with his art. It is the art of self perfection (perfectionist). All of Monsieur Roblin’s guns have rebounding locks, that is to say, that the hammer, after having struck the striker recovers from battery to a safety catch from where it can’t move whatever we do with the gun. This curious invention, we believe, of English origin; Monsieur Roblin has refined and applied with a precision that can only be rented without reserve/reservation.”
Posted By: canvasback Re: Roblin a Paris - History? - 06/10/13 05:21 PM
A few more photos:

Posted By: SKB Re: Roblin a Paris - History? - 06/10/13 05:27 PM
Nice!! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Roblin a Paris - History? - 06/10/13 05:51 PM
Thanks to Marc for the translation effort.

1892/1897 Roblin advert

Fournisseur breveté de S.M.I.R.(Sa Majesté Impériale et Royale) l'Empereur d'Autriche(Franz Joseph I??) at 9, rue de la Ville-l'Évêque, à Paris

I could be mistaken, but I believe S.M.I.R./Sa Majesté Impériale et Royale equates to k.u.k.-kaiserlich und königlich

Charles Roblin 1901 advert

Fusils sans chiens, nouveau modèle - New Modell Hammerless

Charles Roblin 1905 advert

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Roblin a Paris - History? - 06/10/13 06:26 PM

Does it read:

Roblin à Paris breveté de S.M.I.R. l'Empereur d'Autriche ?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Roblin a Paris - History? - 06/10/13 06:39 PM
You may have already provided it on the L. Bernard thread, but can you post the Bernard tubeset number followed by the date?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: canvasback Re: Roblin a Paris - History? - 06/10/13 08:18 PM
Raimey, on the Bernard thread, two Roblin guns get mentioned, neither one of which is this gun. WC first references a Roblin gun with Bernard number 33??? and then mentions another Roblin set with the number 35257. That was the one I confirmed and it was a gun Kirby Hoyt had for sale.

I am trying to find out the number on my gun, as well as clarification of the top rib inscription.

Does anyone know what the "S.M.I.R." would stand for in the top rib inscription?
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Roblin a Paris - History? - 06/10/13 09:29 PM
Sa Majesté Impériale et Royale or k.u.k.-kaiserlich und königlich

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: Roblin a Paris - History? - 06/10/13 10:29 PM
Raimey,

as you have shown above it reads:

Sa Majeste le Roi, Empereur de L'Autriche!

Seine Majestät der König, Kaiser von Österrich

His Majesty The King, Emperor of Austria

Best Regards,
Wolfgang
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Roblin a Paris - History? - 06/10/13 11:37 PM
Wolfgang:
I am not positive/sure but I believe you are missing an I/J(Impériale) in S.M.I.R.?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: Roblin a Paris - History? - 06/11/13 08:17 AM
Raimey,

I mean S.M.l.R. always means "Sa Majeste le Roi" (ou la Reine) (small l not big I)....

for example:
SA MAJESTÉ LE ROI DES BELGES, SA MAJESTÉ LA REINE DE DANEMARK, SA MAJESTÉ LE ROI D'ESPAGNE, SA MAJESTÉ LA REINE DES PAYS-BAS, SA MAJESTÉ LA REINE DU ROYAUME-UNI DE GRANDE-BRETAGNE ET D'IRLANDE DU NORD

it is the common shortcut, I think.

Best Regards,
Wolfgang
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Roblin a Paris - History? - 06/11/13 12:25 PM
Sa Majesté Impériale (abrégé en S.M.I. )

I believe it is an I not a L. Then add the R of your choice.

I think the end result needs to be Imperial & Royal

Sa Majesté Impériale et Royale/Roi

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Roblin a Paris - History? - 06/11/13 01:27 PM
I'm pretty sure that Roblin et fils, etal. gave a 1 year warranty on their wares.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rs
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: Roblin a Paris - History? - 06/11/13 02:07 PM
Raimey,

you are right (as usual) I found it here:

http://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/Annexe:Abréviations_en_français

S.M.I.R. : « sa Majesté impériale et royale »

à la prochaine fois...!

Wolfgang
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Roblin a Paris - History? - 06/11/13 02:12 PM
I well hope there is a next time. No worries but I was just basing my guess on the k.u.k. phrase in French.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: Roblin a Paris - History? - 06/11/13 08:08 PM
Raimey,

please have a look on this link:

http://www.hunting-heritage.com/JANSEN-FLINTE-Web/index.html

on picture 4 you can see the reason why I said Sa Majeste le Roi, it's on the barrels of my gun.

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Roblin a Paris - History? - 06/11/13 08:50 PM
Hum, so is that a street or area? S.W. of the King in Bruxelles?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: Roblin a Paris - History? - 06/11/13 09:26 PM
Raimey,

picture is not so good: "Fabr. d'Armes de S(a) M(ajeste) le Roi Bruxelles"

Wolfgang
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: Roblin a Paris - History? - 06/11/13 09:37 PM
Littlegun.be:

Jansen Adolphe

Parfois orthographié JANSENS ou JANSSEN – armurier, fabricant d’armes de Sa Majesté le Roi. Rue de la Madeleine, 27 à BRUXELLES en 1908/1909.

Wolfgang
Posted By: WildCattle Re: Roblin a Paris - History? - 06/13/13 01:55 AM
Gunwolf,
What's the story with the flip-up back sight on your shotgun?
Is the gun rifled?
Best regards,
WC-
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Roblin a Paris - History? - 06/13/13 02:22 AM
No info mine on Roblin, WC?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: Roblin a Paris - History? - 06/13/13 10:21 AM
Quote:
What's the story with the flip-up back sight on your shotgun?
Is the gun rifled?

No, isn't rifled, but this was not uncommon for aiming especially with slugs.

Kind Regards,
Wolfgang
Posted By: Jeff G. Re: Roblin a Paris - History? - 06/14/13 04:32 AM
Hi Everyone,
It is nice to see some info on Roblin, I had learned very little since I acquired my bar in the wood sidelock with Barnard barrels.
See old link for some pics http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=35142&page=1
and
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...=true#Post38304

Jeff G.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com