doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Jerry Mouer Wm. Powell & Sons 12g "Snap Action" - 01/25/14 07:30 PM
I brought home this Wm. Powell & Sons Lift Top Lever “Snap Action” 12 ga from an auction last weekend. I had not seen this type of action before and thought it was very interesting , I needed to examine it in detail.
There is absolutely no loosenes of the barrels in the receiver, even with the forend off, the fit is amazing. The locking surface on the rear barrel lug and the lifter lever are hardened tool steel inbedded, kind of like the hardened steel wedge on the rear lug/bite on Parker Bros. barrels.
I have read that this type of action dates back to 1867-9. The Patient #1287 is stamped on the water table. The serial number is 4947, can anyone come up with a year of production? The locks have rebounding hammers. Fitting the stock to the metal, wow, what a job that would be, note that the bottom of the receiver is wood!!
Now I will try to show some pics.

Posted By: ellenbr Re: Wm. Powell & Sons 12g "Snap Action" - 01/25/14 08:01 PM
Jerry, are the tubes punched steel or pattern welded? Steve should be along shortly with the info you seek.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Jerry,
This gun was built using two of Powell's patents - No.1163 of 1864 (action) and No.1055 of 1869 (retractable firing pins).

It was part of an 8 gun shipment to Schoverling & Daly in New York on September 24, 1872. No. 4947 is listed as being 12-b with 32" Stub Damascus barrels and weighing 7 1/4" pounds. It is a "Plain " grade gun that cost £15.

Stock dimensions aren't listed but it appears to have more drop than those sold to English clients.

Any and all images are welcome - hi res if possible.
schmjh@pacbell.net
Steve
Posted By: Jerry Mouer Re: Wm. Powell & Sons 12g "Snap Action" - 01/25/14 09:24 PM
I missed a picture, will try to add.
Jerry,
One more bit of info. The Powell's Patent number (1287) indicates the number of times (to that point) Powell's snap action patent (1163 of 1864) had been used. Numbering started at 100 in 1864.
Ultimately slightly over 3000 were made (hammer, boxlock and sidelock).

Most of Powell's hammer guns used Stanton locks. If you ever have them apart - please let me know who the maker was.
Steve
Posted By: Jerry Mouer Re: Wm. Powell & Sons 12g "Snap Action" - 01/25/14 09:57 PM
Steve,
Wow, more information then I could hope for, Thanks.

I need brighter light setup for higher quality photos. I'll try to set up a better system.

The barrels on this gun are 27" and tips the digital scale at 7 lb. 4.4 oz.
The bores are to perfect, not a pit any where, they measure .724, both tubes, no choke, I think they have been honed, they are just to perfert.
Thanks again,
Jerry
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Wm. Powell & Sons 12g "Snap Action" - 01/26/14 01:13 AM
Note that 13 gauge as marked for the original bores is .710" in size. How ever as Steve says this gun was shipped in 1872 it would precede the use of a 13/1 mark. Original bores then could have been anywhere from accepting a .710" diameter plug gage to a depth of 9" from the breech up to just not accepting a 12ga (.729") plug. Technically as it would still not accept the .729" plug it would still be "In Proof" from a standpoint of the bores.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Wm. Powell & Sons 12g "Snap Action" - 01/26/14 02:11 AM

1874 Schoverling & Daly Advert noting as being agents for Powell

This is very near the time that H.A. Lindner hung out his shingle and the marriage of Schoverling & Daly with H.A. Lindner really took off.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Mike Bonner Re: Wm. Powell & Sons 12g "Snap Action" - 01/26/14 02:21 AM
Nice bar-in wood action!
Posted By: james-l Re: Wm. Powell & Sons 12g "Snap Action" - 01/26/14 04:05 AM
I think these are interesting guns, I have a Barratt and Sons boxlock, it was made under this lifter patent. The use # is 2951, I understand that this maker made several of these or at least 2, as this gun is the #2 gun of a pair. It was originally had Birmingham proofs but has been reproofed and carries London 1 1/8 nitro proofs. Sadly some idiot has refinished the wood with shiny varnish and has a poor recheckering job. Someday I will get around to redoing it.
More photos at: http://s36.photobucket.com/user/james-l/library/Barratt%20and%20Sons?sort=4&page=1

Posted By: lagopus Re: Wm. Powell & Sons 12g "Snap Action" - 01/26/14 11:14 AM
Jerry, William Powells still exist. The moved a few years ago from Birmingham to near Banbury in Oxfordshire. The should be easily traced on the web. They made these actions for a number of other 'Gunmakers'. I was looking at one by Maleham very recently.

James, a Gunsmith friend of mine (sadly recently deceased) owned the name to Barratt of Burton-on-Trent and also the other Burton gun firm of Coltman. Sadly the records did not exist. Burton is only a few miles from me and quite a few Barratts turn up. I have seen a number of Barratt/Powell lift levers. Interesting and collectable guns. Lagopus.....
Posted By: Roy Hebbes Re: Wm. Powell & Sons 12g "Snap Action" - 01/26/14 11:22 AM
Steve,
William Powell also sold this gun engraved on the rib;
"John E Long, Detroit." For many years I owned one such gun #5709.
Powell's records showed that this gun was one of five guns exported bearing the Long name. This particular gun was game scene engraved, Bar in wood action, Straight stock drop at heel 2 1/4 inches. Regret no pictures available.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Wm. Powell & Sons 12g "Snap Action" - 01/26/14 12:09 PM
Roy:
Is this it:

John E. Long, an American Gun Maker did business at 110 Woodward Avenue, Detroit, Michigan from 1872-1875

http://historical.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=6081&lotIdNo=103002#Photo ?

I don't have an account and can't see the larger images.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
james-l,
Your gun should have "8936" on the barrels.
It was sold to Barratt & Son on 24 February 1890 for £23/10/0. It was marked with the Barratt & Son serial number "5234" and paired with No.5121.
It is described in part as a 28" 12-b that was choked full (left) and 1/4 (right).
Steve
Posted By: Roy Hebbes Re: Wm. Powell & Sons 12g "Snap Action" - 01/26/14 03:40 PM
ellenbr,
More than likely a gun from the same shipment. The only difference seen is the stock style.The serial numbers are very close.[ 6 numbers apart].William Powell has excellent records of sales, as a result in most cases thet can provide details of past transactions.
Powell's can be reached by E mail @; sporting@williampowell.com
I believe that John E Long may have been established by the Birmingham business man/financier, and one time guardian of the Birmingham proof house Samuel Buckley J.P. Samuel was also at one time a director of B.S.A.
Roy,
Both guns were purchased for Long via S. Buckley & Co. Gun No.5702 was purchased on 7 May 1874 and No.5709 on 11 June 1874.
Posted By: Jerry Mouer Re: Wm. Powell & Sons 12g "Snap Action" - 01/26/14 04:03 PM
Steve,I removed the locks this morning, found them is excellent shape, I wonder what oil was used to coat them.
The barrels appear to have been trimmed back many years ago.
I made achange in lighting so I hope the picture quality is better than yesterdays.

Jerry,
Thanks. They look like Stanton locks.
Your barrels were shortened from their original 32" length.
Posted By: lagopus Re: Wm. Powell & Sons 12g "Snap Action" - 01/27/14 08:35 PM
Stanton's name very often appears under the mainspring or bridle. Closer examination may reveal an odd letter of his name to give a clue. The oil in the locks appears to be linseed oil that has worked its way in from the stock being oiled and then gone like varnish with age. Good protection though. Lagopus.....
Posted By: Hammergun Re: Wm. Powell & Sons 12g "Snap Action" - 01/27/14 08:40 PM
I can just make out Stanton & Co. under the mainspring of the bottom lock in the first photo. That auction is local to me, I'm glad a forum member was the winner. Enjoy that gun.
Posted By: Jerry Mouer Re: Wm. Powell & Sons 12g "Snap Action" - 02/11/14 07:40 PM
I needed to address a couple of cracks above both of the locks, also splice in a missing piece of wood above the left sice lock.
I snaps a few pictures of the receiver out of the stock. I would hate to attempt this very compacated inletting job as you can see the wood extends out to the knuckles of the forend.
Take a look!

[img]http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac295/stockwork/014_zps06d066cf.jpg[/img]

BTW the stock extension is solid Horn, the pattern is empressed in the horn.
[img]http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac295/stockwork/014_zps06d066cf.jpg[/img]
Jerry,
Looks like an old repair. You probably have a crack in the stock where the standing breech meets the water table. The mixture of the cut-out area for the lever/firing pin retractor spring and the very thin wood behind the lock plates makes for a very weak area.

I've repaired a couple of these. It's quite a project. Good luck.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com