doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: RARiddell Stevens 311A, not high class but strudy - 12/30/15 03:50 PM
Hey guys I was curious to see what you might know about this model. I know its probably not a model that gets a lot of discussion on here,but pretty sure most have seen or shot one at point. I'm looking at a 20ga for my son. I haven't had the chance to put my hands on one, so any impressions or details will be great!
Posted By: wyobirds Re: Stevens 311A, not high class but strudy - 12/30/15 05:06 PM
A Stevens 311 was my first SxS, followed by a Model B and both were 12 Ga. shotguns with 30" barrels. They are heavy and in my case slow to respond to a fast moving target. Thirty years ago I bought my wife the 311's predecessor, a 1940 vintage 16 Ga. Model 511 Stevens. The 16's wood is much better than the previously mentioned 311's and the gun's 26" barrels make it more responsive than my experiences with 30" barrels. I'm not sure about new 311's, but the older 311's are built to last and it might be a good idea to buy a used gun. Your choice of 20 Ga. is in my opinion a good one for a first SxS.
Posted By: Gr8day Re: Stevens 311A, not high class but strudy - 12/30/15 05:13 PM
I think you described it quite well. 311's are a good way to start off in the world of doubles and the 20 gauge looks and handles better than its larger siblings IMO. Personally, I'd avoid the latter ones with the plasticky tenite stocks. I do remember having to constantly tighten up the drawbolt, so a good long screwdriver would be handy.

The .410 version is about the ugliest gun ever made. Sorry, but I had to say that.
The 311 / 5100 / Fox B gun are reliable, not too complicated and inexpensive.

A great starting gun or poor weather gun. Or a way to get into 20g or .410 guns at a lower price point.
A 20 ga. was my second shotgun over 50 years ago. Began a lifelong fondness for SxSs. I began to get serious about waterfowl, and a friend's 12 ga. version put me on 12 gauges for a long time. They are not Purdeys or 21s, but they work.
I bought a Fox B for Cowboy Action Shooting, and took it dove hunting. Let my son use it and he wouldn't give it back.

It works and works, never a problem, and you can hunt dove, ducks, rabbits, squirrels, pheasant, or whatever is legal game.

I say go for it, and if you want to trade it some day, there will always be a market.

HHH
EXCELLENT! Thanks Guys. The 311A has that classic look to it. I'll check out the other ones as well.
My dad bought me a Stevens 311A for my 13th birthday. I had been using a 20 gauge single barrel Winchester 37 belonging to my uncle for the past 4 or 5 years. Mine has (yes, I still have it!!!) 26 inch barrels in 12 gauge, choked IC and Modified. I killed a lot of birds, squirrels, rabbits, snakes, and one pig-stealing bob cat with mine. A sturdy gun, no doubt.

Wyobirds, you mention an "earlier" model than the 311 with better wood, the Stevens 511?? I thought the 511's were actually the successors to the Stevens 311s and were marketed under the Savage name??? The only 511's I have ever seen were in fact marked as Savage and the wood on them was not nearly as good as the wood in my 311A.
Posted By: wyobirds Re: Stevens 311A, not high class but strudy - 12/30/15 06:40 PM
Perry, I'll double check and get back to you.
Solid guns; a 20ga would be a great kid's gun. Older is better; the later ones can be pretty clubby. If you can find one of the non-tenites with the 5100 stamp on the action they seem to be the nicest of the bunch. I have three 5100's (16ga, 20ga, and one of those "ugly" .410's grin) and all have walnut stocks with real cut checkering and twin ivory beads. They always get the "heavy" comment, but my 16 is 6lbs-15oz and the 20 is 6lbs-12oz; far from svelte but not all that bad compared to some; mine are 28" so 26" would save some weight no doubt. They were my first doubles and have served me well.
Posted By: wyobirds Re: Stevens 311A, not high class but strudy - 12/30/15 07:30 PM
Perry, my error. The gun is 5100.
Posted By: bobski Re: Stevens 311A, not high class but strudy - 12/30/15 08:03 PM
i had numerous 311's . 12 16 20.
sold them all.
i got tired of holding the forearm and having it come off in my hand when fired.
Posted By: SWAMPMAN Re: Stevens 311A, not high class but strudy - 12/30/15 09:55 PM
I think that Stevens 311's and 5100's are really great guns. My first sxs was a Stevens. I bought it from Bill's House of Guns in Merrill Wisconsin it is a 311 12 gauge. Nice stock, durable gun. I think I paid $125.00 for it used but in great condition.
I still use it today. They are still a bargain.
It would be interesting to see how many double shooters got started with Stevens Shotguns.
Sounds like a great poll Swampman!! I elect you PollMeister!!!

Put me down as a Yes.

My dad paid $78 for mine in February of 1962 for my 13th birthday. I believe I checked the serial number on mine once and found that it was actually built sometime between 1958 and 1961-is?!?! Purchased from the hardward department of Carl Mears and Sons fertilizer and farm supplies in Fair Bluff, NC!!

The first gun I took home was a Remington Sportsman 12 gauge semi-auto AFTER Mr. Carl had told my dad that the Browning A5 "Humpback" I had wanted was $115. The Remington was an even $100. Well, that joy lasted until my mother heard the $100 price tag and "helped" my dad realize that "we" could not afford that. Soooooo, the Remington went back to Mears and Sons and the Stevens 311A for $78 (actually it may have been $73??) came home and stayed and my love for doubles was begun.
Posted By: Rockdoc Re: Stevens 311A, not high class but strudy - 12/31/15 03:38 AM
I had a 16 gauge 5100 and shot it very well. I wish I'd never sold it! Before I forget, make certain you keep the stock draw bolt tight or you'll risk cracking the stock at the top where it fits against the action. I'm speaking from personal experience!

Steve
Posted By: btdtst Re: Stevens 311A, not high class but strudy - 12/31/15 04:54 AM
I bought a new 311, 20 gauge in 1963 or 1964. Saved big time for it. $60 or so if I remember correctly. Was a quantum leap over my first shotgun a Mossberg 185K bolt action. Shot it for years on quail, phez and ducks. I, of course, thought it magic if I shot a 3" shell in it. Never shot more than a few (less than a box which I still have). Good little gun, especially for a newbie! Finally sold it to a friend for his son. However, it did develop ring bulges in both barrels about a half inch behind the muzzles. How and why this happened is a mystery to me as this was way before steel shot was ever thought of and other than a few ~15 three inchers through it all loads were 7/8 or 1 ounce lead field loads. No, it was not due to barrel obstructions, Dunno. Great little inexpensive shotgun.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Stevens 311A, not high class but strudy - 12/31/15 01:27 PM
The gun that started me on the "Road to Ruin" where nothing would suit but a SxS was a pre WWI J Stevens Arms & Tool Co 12 ga. As I recall paid $25.00 for it in 1954. It was heavy, never weighed it, had 30" M&F barrels. As best I recall I think it was a 325 model. I always called it my "Pore Boy's 21 as it had the same Ugly cigar Box lines. Unfortunately I traded it off many years ago.
A couple of years later bought a Rem 870 20ga with 28" modified barrel. Much to my dismay I shot the old J Stevens a lot better in spite of all its theoretical disadvantages. Soon traded the Stupid Pump in on a Parker Trojan & never looked back. Mostly have Lefevers now but a few other odds & ends.
I started my hunting career with a Stevens 311 in a .410 that was my uncles. The first time he took me to a wooded lot across the street from his house and let me fire it.
I used that shotgun for a few seasons killing squirrels and a few cottontails. I loved that shotgun and had to give it back as his grandson was coming of age.

When in Germany in the service I bought in the gun club a Remington 11-48, .410 with 25" vent barrel imp. cyl. I loved shooting that gun also and still have it.
My dad was a NC quail hunter before I was born and had an older 311 in 16 gauge. He sold it to the local volunteer fire department in November, 1968 to buy "us" a .22 rifle. He passed away three weeks later from a massive heart attack.
A few years later, when I was a teenager, I tried to track the gun down. No success.
I bought an old prewar Stevens 12 gauge when I was in college in VA. Thing broke at least two hammers when I had it. Had to pawn it for book money and forgot to redeem it...
I'm another that started out with a Stevens ............ actually it was stamped J.C. Higgins, a 26" barreled .410 S x S with Tenite stock and forend. I thought it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. Nearly rubbed the bluing off it making sure it never rusted. Gorgeous figure in that Tenite butt. laugh

Killed my first doves with it, my first quail, my first rabbit, my first squirrel, and my first owl. Before I'm scolded remember, in those days it was quite proper to kill raptors that raided the chicken yards.

SRH
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Stevens 311A, not high class but strudy - 01/09/16 01:51 PM
I also started with a Stevens: .410 single, Model 94, handed down from my older brother. Oddly enough, we were a .410 family--Dad also had a .410 single--in pheasant country. But we were also pretty opportunistic hunters, and shot a lot of squirrels and rabbits with those guns.

Back in the 50's, new sxs were pretty scarce. I lusted after a 311 in .410. Once I was working in a service station and had some money, Dad found me a Savage 420 OU 20ga. Paid $65 for it, including a decent soft case. Probably a better choice than a .410 311, but those old American-made Savage OU's are about the clubbiest critters around. Even in 20ga! Eventually saw the light when I bought my first sxs, one of the Ithaca SKB's.
My Dad bought me a Stevens 311 to go deer hunting. All I can remember is that 12 gauge was heavy but a typical American hardware store shotgun, the one gun fits all mentality, do everything and hunt everything with it.

He bought it at a bar. The guy had it in his trunk and they struck a deal. We went bird hunting and after cleaning the guns I laid my Stevens on the tailgate of a pickup truck and after getting drunk another guy went out to move the truck off the hard surface road. He didn't realize the truck was in gear and tried to start it. The truck jumped and the 2 shotguns laying on the tailgate fell off and landed right on the road. He started it put it in reverse and ran right over my Stevens and another guys Remington 1100 crushing the barrels.

The gun I bought to replace my Stevens, a 16 gauge Nitro Special, I also bought from a guy at a bar. He was tired of all the lay offs and strikes at the steel mills going on and said he was driving down to Dallas Texas for a job and needed money to get their. It was in a neat take down case and after putting it together thought it was a Stevens. I liked the gun but I really liked that take down case it was in and asked if the case comes with the gun. He said yep and we made the deal. He put the money in his pocket, saying that was enough to get him to Texas, hopped into his car and drove off. Over the last 30+ years, I've bought and sold numerous shotguns (I had to give back to my cousin the NID I got from my Uncle after he passed away) but I still have that Nitro Special and the case.
Can you post of picture of the NS and Case?? I would like to see it.
I'll get right on it. smile
Here's my Nitro Special when I had it fixed up back in the early 80's, this is from South Dakota,

I had it redone about 5 years ago because the color casing had worn so badly it started looking pretty bad and the takedown case it originally came in.

That old 'Barn' gun has done everything I have asked of it, including taking a few deer along the way. (I have bought my girlfriend at least 3 dozen pair of shoes, I have these and a pair of tennis shoes and some old lacrosse boots.) smile
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Stevens 311A, not high class but strudy - 01/10/16 02:03 PM
There's a man with his priorities in line. Fine ol cased shotgun and worn out shoes. Gotta love it!

That pics a keeper. smile
Thanks a bunch Bill!!!! smile

Its her kids, then her, then if and only if there is any money left over, which doesn't happen very often, me.

But please excuse the misdirection of our thread, back to our Stevens shotguns, another good old 'barn' gun!!! smile
Posted By: Gary D. Re: Stevens 311A, not high class but strudy - 01/11/16 06:49 PM
My first SxS was a tenite-stocked 311 16 gauge, which my dad had bought new in the late 40's and handed down to me in the mid-60's. Finish is mostly long gone, horrid balance, and surrounded by a few much more desirable shotguns in the safe- but it's one of those "I'll never part with it" guns to me. Sentiment can be a powerful thing...
Thanks for posting that photo!!! That is a really good looking piece that I would also hang onto.
Posted By: JLN Re: Stevens 311A, not high class but strudy - 01/13/16 02:30 PM
Great stories. I started my interest in SxS with a Stevens 5100. Our house was broken into when I was 16 and we lost the 20ga 870 I was using. My grandpa pulled a Stevens 5100 20ga out his closet with a tenite stock on it. I used that through college to hunt doves. It was the first SxS that I restocked with a semi-inletted stock and all that got me onto liking and working on SxSs. Nice to know so many others have good memories of a Stevens too. I have lots of options for my boys, but maybe I'll start them on that Stevens 20ga.
Posted By: Scar270 Re: Stevens 311A, not high class but strudy - 01/17/16 03:28 PM
I disagree about the sturdiness of 311's. I have owned 4 311's and 1 511. They only lock up on the top snap, there are no locking under lugs, a 12 gauge will only last about 3000 shells before it will be loose and start to vibrate. Top snaps are readily available. From numerich, which means to be its a common occurance, i have replaced at least 8 of them. The stocks also tend to crack out under use.

They may be fine in a subgauge, I never shot my subgauges enough to really test them out, but I am sure they will shoot loose too, may just take longer.

They also dont open fully unless you hold them open to load or replace the hammer springs with reduced power springs.

The only good thing is they are cheap. If you want a cheap SxS to say you have one, and not shoot it a whole lot, they will get you by.

I have sold off all of mine, and I have no regrets, which says a lot, I have trouble selling guns.
I didn't like mine because of the weight. While deer hunting it was no big deal as that weight was a benefit as it would soak up the recoil from a slug but, while bird hunting with it most of the time its was cracked and slung over my shoulder while walking. I wouldn't buy another because of that.
Originally Posted By: Scar270
I disagree about the sturdiness of 311's. I have owned 4 311's and 1 511. They only lock up on the top snap, there are no locking under lugs, a 12 gauge will only last about 3000 shells before it will be loose and start to vibrate. Top snaps are readily available. From numerich, which means to be its a common occurance, i have replaced at least 8 of them. The stocks also tend to crack out under use.

They may be fine in a subgauge, I never shot my subgauges enough to really test them out, but I am sure they will shoot loose too, may just take longer.

They also dont open fully unless you hold them open to load or replace the hammer springs with reduced power springs.

The only good thing is they are cheap. If you want a cheap SxS to say you have one, and not shoot it a whole lot, they will get you by.

I have sold off all of mine, and I have no regrets, which says a lot, I have trouble selling guns.

I have no reason to doubt you on the 3000 rounds killing the gun on a 12 gauge, but;

A lady shooter on our trap shooting league had a 16 gauge 311 that her Dad had purchased in the 1950s, used pretty hard, and gave to her in the mid 1960s. She hunted infrequently, but, at least once a year, for ducks and pheasants in North Dakota with her brothers, and, I can say without doubt, I witnessed more than 3000 rounds through her gun in the decade and a half we were sponsored by our employer on the trap league. I dated her, briefly, and just assumed cleaning and maintenance chores for the entire time we shot together.
It was a nice gun when we ended the league, after a decade and a half. I couldn't find anything wrong with it when I cleaned it up for her over the years. At least one sub gauge out there was well used and still going strong.

Another thing comes to mind. Once you get off this board, and are dealing with the typical Wal Mart shopper, 3000 rounds is MORE than a lifetime of shooting! Otherwise, we wouldn't see so many of them that look just like new and aren't worn out.

Never owned one myself, my cheapies have been Nitro Specials, and a Western Arms Long Range, and I haven't managed to break or wear them out.

Best,
Ted
Originally Posted By: Ted Schefelbein

Never owned one myself

If you've never owned one then why the argument ?
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe

Never owned one myself

If you've never owned one then why the argument ?

Did you see where I said I had no reason to doubt his figure on 3000 rounds for the 12?

I'm NOT arguing, you are just too simple to understand that.

I didn't own one-but, cleaned and serviced a lady friends 16 gauge 311 gun for a decade and a half, once a week, and a strip at the end of the year. You are, again, too simple to understand that I got a feel for how the gun was holding together over that time. The original poster had nothing to add with regards to subgauges, and I did. So, I added it, for what it was worth. It is a conversation with multiple people adding their experiences, good, and bad.

And then, the village idiot shows up-guess who?

Since you had nothing to add regarding 311 guns, good or otherwise, why did you post anything? Are you displaying your stupidity in full bloom for everyone to see?

You are too simple to understand most things. Really.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Scar270 Re: Stevens 311A, not high class but strudy - 01/17/16 07:00 PM
I agree 3000 rounds is a lot of rounds for many people, depending on the particular top snap i could sometimes get more rounds, but I wouldnt bet very high on it.

I was using it, well 2 of them, as I alternated as they needed repairs, as my regular trap and sporting gun.

Have moved on to shooting Browning BSS's now. Not any more svelt then a 311, but handle a bit nicer for me, and way stronger. 23,000 rounds, was well used when I got it, and so far only trouble was a broken ejector trip, something I believe was a defect in that specific part, not the design.
I'm not going to be getting in any line to run out a find a 311 or 511 or a 5100. Most of the people who I have met who owned them were not die hard shooters, or, if they were, they moved on to something else after a 311 got them going.
If you want a low buck gun to figure out if the sport is for you, a 311 is a good start, and can likely be moved along if the sport isn't your cup of tea, or you jump in with both feet (and, your wallet) and move onward and upward to bigger and better things.
A salesman where I work, who could definitely afford a much better gun, has used a Savage model B in 16 gauge his entire life, and has killed bushel baskets of grouse with the thing. His family owns a multiple thousands of acre ruffed grouse shangra-la near Lake Vermillion in northern MN, and he has owned only one gun since he was a teenager, maybe 60 years ago. No problems, no skeet or trap, just grouse hunting, maybe a dozen times a season, but, it has always worked well for him and still does.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Stevens 311A, not high class but strudy - 01/18/16 01:23 PM
It only takes "ONE" bolt to hold a double shut. Most doubles of moderate price & downward when fitted with multiple bolts have one which actually does all the work. The top bolt is further from the hinge pin than an underbolt thus has a mechanical advantage.
A couple of guns of renown using a single underbolt are the Parker Bros & WW Model 21.
Some guns of note using only a top bolt are Lefever Arms Co, D M Lefever, Baker, Fox, L C Smith, Syracuse Arms, Ithaca NID & Nitro Special (branded Lefever).
Nothing at all wrong with the concept of a single top bolt. Any shortcomings of the 311 are likely in the mat'l or fitting, not the fact it is a single top bolt.

'

Easy to see who he is....

Just look in the mirror Mr. Sniffle'bean.
Uh Huh. Exactly what info per 311s and their ilk have you added to the conversation?

Nada. Same as always. The only post I can find concerning input from you per a 311 was where you low balled a seller who had one here a few weeks past, with the excuse that your grandson needed a demonstration of how cheap you really are.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=429664#Post429664

The little feller would be so proud.

Best,
Ted
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe

'

Easy to see who he is....

Just look in the mirror Mr. Sniffle'bean.

Guess the mirror was fogged over Mr. Snifflin'bean....
Posted By: Joe S Re: Stevens 311A, not high class but strudy - 01/18/16 07:53 PM
My first gun was my grandfather's 60's era 311!
Some folks like 'em, some don't. Gee, who knew?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com