doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: shrapnel George Daw Side By Side - 02/23/18 04:20 PM

George Daw is hardly ever heard of, but he was instrumental in the early development of center fire cartridges. This is one of the first.

This shotgun was made in 1866. It is extremely high quality fit and finish. It is a round body, back action gun with Stanton sidelocks. I was lucky to find it in a gun shop that didn't know what he really had. I have taken turkeys with this gun...

Posted By: skeettx Re: George Daw Side By Side - 02/23/18 04:41 PM
THANK YOU for sharing
Mike
Posted By: SKB Re: George Daw Side By Side - 02/23/18 04:51 PM
I have have only had one Daw in the shop but it was an extraordinary gun. It was a .50 cal percussion gun, gifted from Prince Albert to the Bishop of Bond ST(William Bishop who ran Westley Richard operation in London) and used in a deer park. It was a lovely rifle. Daw was a great maker and under appreciated in my eye. Wonderful gun you have and you look like a happy man. Enjoy it in good health.
Posted By: jbrooster Re: George Daw Side By Side - 02/23/18 05:59 PM
Beautiful gun! How do guns like this lock up?
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: George Daw Side By Side - 02/23/18 06:05 PM
All you have to say is George Daw we already know its high quality. smile

He built some beautiful muzzleloaders.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: George Daw Side By Side - 02/23/18 06:41 PM
Stunning piece! Good find.
Posted By: Nick. C Re: George Daw Side By Side - 02/23/18 08:25 PM
Wow, that's superb.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: George Daw Side By Side - 02/23/18 08:37 PM
Outstanding gun, beautiful bird
Karl
Posted By: treblig1958 Re: George Daw Side By Side - 02/23/18 10:06 PM
Originally Posted By: jbrooster
Beautiful gun! How do guns like this lock up?

The one underbit that is activated by the piece that wraps itself under the trigger guard. J.D. Dougall maybe?
Posted By: Hammergun Re: George Daw Side By Side - 02/23/18 10:20 PM
Diggory Hadoke's book on hammer guns has the same type of Daw gun on page ten. He describes it as a "rounded bar bolting system ". Beautiful gun.
Posted By: SKB Re: George Daw Side By Side - 02/23/18 10:27 PM
If you look closely at the first picture posted you can see the round locking bolt.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: George Daw Side By Side - 02/23/18 10:39 PM
Here it is, cased...

Posted By: jbrooster Re: George Daw Side By Side - 02/23/18 11:42 PM
Originally Posted By: SKB
If you look closely at the first picture posted you can see the round locking bolt.

I see now. Thank you. I really enjoy learning about how these guns have evolved.
Posted By: JBLondon Re: George Daw Side By Side - 02/24/18 01:46 AM
I have a cased Daw as well and will have to get additional photos up. It is one of my favourite guns to shoot.

Here is one described by Hadoke:
https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/articles/462-2/5362-2/

The first model central fire shotgun made in Britain is a Daw as shown on the cover of Crudgington & Baker's The British Shotgun Vol. 1. I had to look closely but mine is not the same gun.
https://www.anglebooks.com/the-british-shotgun-volume-one-1850-1870.html
Posted By: Roy Hebbes Re: George Daw Side By Side - 02/24/18 01:51 AM
Shrapnel,
I own a Fine George Daw Shotgun #526.
I would respectfully point out that Daw is very well known to collectors of vintage English shotguns. For example it feature as the gun on the cover picture of volume 1 of David Baker & I. M. Crudgingtons epic book [ runs to 3 volumes] The British Shotgun!
By the way, have you checked under the heel plates to see if the spare extractor and nipples. a feature of all early Daw guns are still in place?
You have A very nice Daw good to see you have put it to good use,regret mine languishes in my safe!
Posted By: shrapnel Re: George Daw Side By Side - 02/24/18 04:27 AM

As a matter of fact, mine is 547 and was a double feature in "Shooting Sportsman" By Steven Dodd Hughes.

Posted By: barrel browner Re: George Daw Side By Side - 02/24/18 08:53 AM
James Blacker of Bill Blacker and son has the Daw name he may be able to give you some more info on the gun P.M me if you want his number.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: George Daw Side By Side - 02/24/18 02:07 PM
Originally Posted By: barrel browner
James Blacker of Bill Blacker and son has the Daw name he may be able to give you some more info on the gun P.M me if you want his number.

I believe Steve contacted them as he found out when the gun was made, to whom it was shipped and that it had been sent back to Daw for repairs at one time.

I also have Daw's book on his patents...

Posted By: PALUNC Re: George Daw Side By Side - 02/24/18 02:28 PM
Check out the latest Dave Carrie video. He visits the George Daw booth at the British Shooting Show. He gets to see some old black powder shell loading machines.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: George Daw Side By Side - 02/24/18 04:36 PM
Originally Posted By: PALUNC
Check out the latest Dave Carrie video. He visits the George Daw booth at the British Shooting Show. He gets to see some old black powder shell loading machines.

Wow! I did check it out. Those guys need to learn English so you can understand what they are saying...
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com