doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/07/18 09:43 AM
Adding my second pump gun to the stable, I picked up my first Ithaca model 37 in 16 gauge yesterday. Neat gun. In grouse hunting circles, this gun seems to be highly regarded, so for years I've looked on and off for the right gun at the right price. This 28" barrelled 37 has a full choke (this will need to be remedied), a left handed safety (I'll be changing this over soon), a beefy all-leather sling, a padded soft case, and believe it or not, a side-mounted aperture sight which uses the preexisting bolts in the receiver. Obviously, I'll be removing the aperture sight because this will be a bird gun, but kind of a neat thing regardless. This gun was born in 1952. Seems like a lot of gun for the $217 shipped I paid for it.

Now, to find an English stock for it...
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/07/18 03:18 PM
It isn't off topic at all. There has been a version of that gun in my safe for the equivalent of five dog lifetimes. The right one is indeed a fine grouse gun.
I'm not sure when the Ithaca company went to the cheaper version of the buttstock for the 37 maybe 1956 or so, but, they are truly ugly compared to the earlier efforts. More than one 37 has had it's pistol grip rasped off, but, last I checked the folks at Upper Sandusky will sell you a brand new copy of whatever version you want, so you don't need to sacrifice the original. Ditto on the safety. Hang onto the lefty version, someone down the road might need it should you decide the 37 isn't your cup of tea.
Remember to pump! Skeet goes a long way toward keeping you sharp on pumping your gun. Yes, I have forgotten to pump a gun in the heat of the moment, likely from my mostly complete conversion to double guns, over the years. If you will be hunting woodcock, do remember to plug your gun. I have used a pencil, in a pinch. The barrels on the guns of your era are NOT interchangable. You will probably be working with the barrel you have, either relief of the existing choke, or Mike Orlen can set you up with reasonable cost choke tubes.
A long time ago, I used a Remington 17 (same gun, different name on it) to take a limit each of grouse and woodcock on a sunny afternoon near Orr, MN, and became camp hero for a day. I never shoot more than a brace of any birds these days, but, a 37 would be more than enough gun for the task.
I think you will enjoy it.
There are many fellows here who enjoy pumps along with their doubles. You should, too.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: ChiefAmungum Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/07/18 04:28 PM
I am fan also, sounds like yours was set up for turkey hunting, or possibly deer with Forster slugs. Mine is choked mod. When I used it for all hunting I would load a spreader first followed with a regular shell making it a two shot gun good for grouse, the choke remains mod. After a while keeping the sequence in order became second nature. Not sure how much you would gain in a full choke. I bought mine with a lefty safety too. The bottom ejection made them attractive to the left handed I suppose. Mine still gets out, mostly for doves now though.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/07/18 06:19 PM
I got one (a 12ga model 37) for Christmas in '63 when I was a soph in High School. I added an extra barrel in full choke and shot it for everything until I was 40.

Switched to jam-o-matics for a coupla years and then entered my doublegun phase. I still keep a few pumpguns around, but i don't shoot them much anymore...Geo
Posted By: Woody402 Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/07/18 08:02 PM
Originally Posted By: fallschirmjaeger
Adding my second pump gun to the stable, I picked up my first Ithaca model 37 in 16 gauge yesterday. Neat gun. In grouse hunting circles, this gun seems to be highly regarded, so for years I've looked on and off for the right gun at the right price. This 28" barrelled 37 has a full choke (this will need to be remedied), a left handed safety (I'll be changing this over soon), a beefy all-leather sling, a padded soft case, and believe it or not, a side-mounted aperture sight which uses the preexisting bolts in the receiver. Obviously, I'll be removing the aperture sight because this will be a bird gun, but kind of a neat thing regardless. This gun was born in 1952. Seems like a lot of gun for the $217 shipped I paid for it.
Now, to find an English stock for it...

I Will swap you for the lefty safety? Could always use another.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/07/18 08:14 PM
Originally Posted By: Woody402

I Will swap you for the lefty safety? Could always use another.

Careful, the safeties are not interchangeable. Learned that the hard way...Geo
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/07/18 09:11 PM
Did the safeties change at some point during the run of the 37? Any idea on what I should look for to know which safety will work?

Woody, what year was your gun made?

Interestingly enough, this gun came a seller in western NY.
Posted By: ChiefAmungum Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/07/18 09:24 PM
Not sure about the safeties, I had no problem swapping mine for a right handed safety. My gun is among the first run to have interchangeable barrels, 1964. There maybe early vs. late safeties? My gun has the later stock but pre the pressed, ugly checkering, in fact no checkering at all. Perhaps George could elaborate on his safety experience.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/08/18 12:04 AM
Not sure but I think changes were made in 1964 so that barrels were interchangeable and that was also when they messed with the safety design. Mine was pre-64 and I swapped safeties with a guy who wanted a righty for his son and I wanted a lefty for one of my sons. Wouldn't fit.

There is a metal tab in the back of the trigger on the older ones which prevents the safety from the newer ones from fitting. Or at least that's what I think I remember...Geo

My older one fit his gun but his safety from the later (press checkered) gun did not fit mine.

post script: Woody, if you need a left handed safety from the newer model, I'll give you the one I have if I can remember how to take it out of the gun.
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/08/18 12:33 AM
Pretty sure safety design never changed. You will have to pull the trigger to change it. I have not changed one in a long while but also think you have to remove the trigger to get in in. Watch you don't loose the spring loaded detent when you pull out the safety. There may be instructions somewhere on the web in one of the takedown posts.
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/08/18 01:31 AM
OK. I checked the Parts manual that gives instructions for changing the safety from one hand to the other. First off, There is a part number for a right hand and a part number for the left. Same part numbers for all gauges and all years. Second you have to pull the stock, remove the trigger plate (Bottom screw near the wood end of the receiver) drive out the hammer pin, then the trigger pin. Pull out the old safety and slide in the new one being careful to control the detent and spring. REASSEMBLE IN reverse order. You will have to deal with the hammer spring.
Be sure to use the correct screw drivers. I have seen a ton of buggered screws over the years.
Good luck!
Posted By: Woody402 Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/08/18 12:15 PM
Did the safeties change at some point during the run of the 37? Any idea on what I should look for to know which safety will work?

Woody, what year was your gun made?

Interestingly enough, this gun came a seller in western NY.

I have several righties so i have something that will work.
Posted By: Woody402 Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/08/18 12:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
Not sure but I think changes were made in 1964 so that barrels were interchangeable and that was also when they messed with the safety design. Mine was pre-64 and I swapped safeties with a guy who wanted a righty for his son and I wanted a lefty for one of my sons. Wouldn't fit.

There is a metal tab in the back of the trigger on the older ones which prevents the safety from the newer ones from fitting. Or at least that's what I think I remember...Geo

My older one fit his gun but his safety from the later (press checkered) gun did not fit mine.

post script: Woody, if you need a left handed safety from the newer model, I'll give you the one I have if I can remember how to take it out of the gun.

I will take you up on lefty safety. I have a tendency to push a right safety on with
My trigger finger. Especially if it’s a longer safety. I dont Like to switch my guns but donwith Ithaca’s. Dangerous with others using it,I’m used to a right hand safety etc.
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/08/18 01:36 PM
Woody402,
You have the king of M-37 repairs and parts right there in Ithaca--Les Hovencamp-Diemond Gunsmithing.
ps In spite of Geo's experience, the design never changed. You have a choice of a right or left hand safety. Independent of gauge OR year.
Posted By: Mike A. Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/08/18 03:09 PM
I love 37s and have had about a dozen. But since I started using doubles about 3 decades ago, pumps have become single shots for me when the situation requires instant muscle memory. I guess I should still shoot one just in the interest of "conservation"....I know the birds would thank me!

You'll enjoy yours, I'm sure. I've always thought them the best designed pumps (I include their Remington ancestor in that). But, my Remington Arms buddies always say: "You've never owned a 31!"
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/08/18 04:06 PM
Originally Posted By: Walter C. Snyder
Woody402,
You have the king of M-37 repairs and parts right there in Ithaca--Les Hovencamp-Diemond Gunsmithing.
ps In spite of Geo's experience, the design never changed. You have a choice of a right or left hand safety. Independent of gauge OR year.

When I offer gun-smithing advice, you must all remember that I'm about as good at gun-smithing as I am at rocket science. Nevertheless I'll stand by my statement that my older 37 has a tab on the back of the trigger that is not present on the newer ones.

That tab is what prevented my insertion of the lefty safety in place of the righty. I never took anything apart on the guns to do it, just depressed the detente, pulled one safety out and stuck the other in. Worked in the new model didn't in my older gun...Geo
Posted By: KY Jon Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/08/18 09:12 PM
I love 37's. Took a solid rib 12 ga. Sporting Clay shooting yesterday. It is still choked full and smoked birds with authority, when I did my part that is. I forgot how light they are and was glad I had one ounce loads to use in it. They are as slick pumping as you could ever ask for. Almost working themselves.

Les has fit a couple barrels for me on the older pre-interchangeable guns. He is great on these 37's.
Posted By: GLS Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/08/18 09:24 PM
Les can fit the old barrels to the old guns without having to modify with an adapter and re-blue the receiver as does the Ithaca factory at Upper Sandusky. On one of my newer 20 gauges, a 1957, he fitted a barrel from 1942 which he also opened to IC to complement the original modified barrel. The only modification was to the barrel threads and not the receiver as does the new group. Gil
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/08/18 11:03 PM
Has anyone dealt with this company? It seems I could get into a relatively cheap English stock (uncheckered of course) through them.

http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web_pages/Plate-pics/Ithaca-Stocks/ithaca-37.htm
Posted By: GLS Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/08/18 11:34 PM
Caleb, why a straight stock? Gil
Posted By: John Roberts Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/08/18 11:39 PM
Originally Posted By: GLS

Same here. Shoot it a while as is before changing grip style.
JR
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/08/18 11:52 PM
+ 1

Looks is the only reason to have a straight gripped gun, IMO. No way do most shooters have as good control of a recoiling gun with a straight grip as they would with a pistol, or at least a POW, grip. I accept straight grips on some of my 410s because, it's next to impossible to get some of them otherwise, a little slender gun looks good with a straight grip, and there's next to no recoil to contend with. But, to me, they look funky on a pump gun or a jammamatic. But hey, if you shoot it lights out, that's what counts.

SRH
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/09/18 01:10 AM
I haven't dealt with that stock company, but, I have bought new wood for an older gun from Ithaca, in Upper Sandusky. They offered to put new wood on my model 17 Remington, which, was tempting. They also produced straight stocks for Ithaca 37s.
I can't speak to "control" differences 'twixt straight and pistol grips, but, my informal bird count over the years shows the very great majority were killed with straight stock guns. Yes, I hunted with both styles of stock, but, just do better with a straight stock. On grouse. Woodcock too, but, haven't shot any, recently.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/09/18 10:57 AM
Originally Posted By: GLS

Gil,

I honestly don't have much of a good reason - I wish I did. I just kind of like them. Ever since I saw a picture of Frank Woolner's Winchester Model 59 auto with the English stock (his grouse getter), I just thought it looked kind of interesting. To my eyes, it looks interesting on a pump as well. I've also owned two O/U guns with English stocks and I enjoy them.

I think someone else on the board has a Winchester Model 12 with an English stock... Ted perhaps?
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/09/18 09:55 PM
Not me. My first year model 1912 20 gauge wears a reproduction stock from an Italian company-Sile, perhaps? I've forgotten the name.
But, it is a full pistol grip. I do own about half a dozen pump guns, perhaps 5 more than I need, but, I like 'em all.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/09/18 10:52 PM
Sorry Ted!

I remember who it was. It was Lloyd...

Lloyd, if you happen to read this thread, please chime in with your thoughts!
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/09/18 11:54 PM
Another Ithaca question...

The barrel on my gun has the same serial as the receiver, however it also has a "-4" following the serial string on the barrel. Did Ithaca make different barrel weights and could this represent which barrel weight it was? Just speculating...
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/10/18 12:46 AM
Straight stocks on pumps.....I've tried both and both work. I sold my M12 in 16 and I do miss it. Probably not as critical on a pump but still nice (if it fits, it's all about fit...& weight).
Posted By: Walter C. Snyder Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/10/18 01:13 AM
-4 is the choke. Full in this case. 2 is mod., 1 IC. etc.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/10/18 01:14 AM
Another Ithaca question...

The barrel on my gun has the same serial as the receiver, however it also has a "-4" following the serial string on the barrel. Did Ithaca make different barrel weights and could this represent which barrel weight it was? Just speculating...

No, Dude. That indicates a full choke. No promise it still is, but, it left Ithaca a full choke.

Shorter barrels are lighter. Longer barrels are heavier. Not much more to it than that.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/10/18 10:46 AM
Ah yes. That makes more sense. I was recently reading about Fox guns and the different barrel weights used (and sometimes marked as such) and thought 'hmmm'. Overactive imagination I guess. Thanks for clarifying guys.
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/10/18 01:44 PM
I have an Ithaca Model 37 Deerslayer that my wife gave me on the day I made Captain. Moments after she presented me with it at Squadron Hq the S1 clerk came bursting in to tell me that my XO had just shot himself with a 1911. That is a total other story for another time but to this day I still feel that the best thing I could have done for the US Army would have been to take that 37 back to my troop and finish the job that he started!! The bottom line on that gun is that it has been used for deer hunting probably three times with only one occasion resulting in the harvesting of a deer with a slug, but it has sure killed a lot of quail!! One of the slickest little pumps I have had and now one of only two that I still possess.

O
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/16/18 09:16 PM
I finally got the safety out tonite (stock bolt was being a bear to remove). I am sure there is a better way to remove the safety, but I had to strip down the entire trigger assembly to get it out. Oh well, it needs a good cleaning anyways.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/17/18 01:10 AM
You did it the right way. Cleanliness is next to Godliness.

Good luck with the new gun(s).

Best,
Ted
Posted By: GLS Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/17/18 10:14 AM
Caleb,
It's been awhile since I've removed an M37's buttstock, but rather than use a screwdriver, a 12 point socket will fit over the square bolt's end. It's a lot easier to apply torque to the socket than with a flat bladed screwdriver which will tend to slip out of the notch. I don't recall the size of the socket, but while the bolt is out, you can "trial and error" for fit. Gil
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 07/17/18 11:47 AM
Thanks Gil, you nailed it on the head... 7/16" to be exact. That's how I got the bugger out. It looked like it was starting to rust to the wood. When that happens, it's near impossible to break it free - at least in my limited experience. When I reassemble it, I'll probably wax the smooth shank of the through bolt (not the threads) to prevent that from ever happening again.
Posted By: kgb Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 08/15/18 04:22 PM
Are you going to have the choke opened or have tubes installed? Last year I bought a 20ga m37 with a Full choke and took it to a shop with a pull-through gauge to confirm the constriction. With cheap shells the gun does not seem to shoot so very tight (I have not patterned it to check though) and it's worked fine on Pheasant and quail. Unless you're restricted to hunting dense cover and need an open choke it might be worth patterning to check just what the barrel can produce now.
Posted By: fallschirmjaeger Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 08/15/18 04:53 PM
KGB & others,

The safety has been swapped...no issues. The Raybar front sight has been swapped for a bead and the choke has been opened to just a hair over cylinder. The gun will be doing duty for woodcock and grouse when I feel like carrying something different than a double. Thanks for all the interest and discussion...
Posted By: Woody402 Re: OT: My First Ithaca 37 - 08/16/18 01:45 AM
Originally Posted By: Walter C. Snyder
Woody402,

If I ever need work on my Ithaca’s I will definitely take it to Les. Matt B. always speaks highly of his work. GunBlack also. Trying to get together with him to shoot next week. I’m going to have to get an Ithaca SXS if I continue to shoot with him. Not my foxes.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com