doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: dhanks Rugged Gear carts are JUNK - 07/15/18 04:05 AM
So I ended up buying one of the 2-gun carts from Rugged Gear. Seemed to be well-built from the pictures on the website and I seen others using them. Here is the model I got http://www.ruggedgear.com/index.cfm/page...prod/prd308.htm

I've been using it since March 30th, so just under 3 months. I use the cart mainly on gravel roads for sporting clay courses; nothing extreme. Let me tell you, within three months this thing has broken down and is a complete piece of SH**. The design is terrible and is just prone to breaking. No roller bearing, metal, just plastic that will crack and break on the wheels.

This happened today during a NSCA shoot in California. Pretty embarrassing to be running the stations and have your wheels fall off your cart. I had about 25+ comments from other shooters regarding the Rugged Gear cart and how no one has anything nice to say about them.

I can't believe I wasted over $300 on this cart and it's just a cheap piece of plastic junk from China or God knows where. It can't even handle 3 months on a gravel road. I only shoot twice a week. That means I've used it less than 24 times and the damn wheels just fall off.

I got so upset I just went to Craigslist and bought a used BOB's REVOLUTION stroller for $50 and modified it. I took the Rugged Gear front pouch and installed it on the BOB. I also moved the shotgun mount onto the BOB as well.

Here is what I ended up with.

The BOB REVOLUTION is some good quality stuff and good design. All of the wheels are on ball bearings and use the same quick disconnect as mountain bicycles. The wheel lock is very solid, metal, and engages both wheels at once. The frame is designed to be very strong, light, and folds down into a small package. The frame also has a shock system to improve the ride. The fabric is installed into the frame with fisheye washers crimped into the fabric, so it doesn't tear over time.

The Rugged Gear cart has none of this stuff. Everything is done cheaply as possible and they charge you top dollar to boot.

I highly recommend that if you're considering buying a Rugged Gear cart, that you DO NOT and simply look at getting a used BOB's REVOLUTION baby stroller off Craigslist. Even has a nice mesh on the back for your hulls!
Posted By: gunut Re: Rugged Gear carts are JUNK - 07/15/18 01:56 PM
the model you link to has metal wheels.....the one you bought has plastic wheels....
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Rugged Gear carts are JUNK - 07/15/18 02:09 PM
What did Rugged Gear say when you contacted them?
JR
Posted By: crs Re: Rugged Gear carts are JUNK - 07/15/18 02:27 PM
Thanks for the tip.
Posted By: Austin Hawthorne Re: Rugged Gear carts are JUNK - 07/15/18 09:30 PM
I've had a rugged gear cart for over 9 years, and the only issue has been the wheel locks bending. They still work however, and I'm very pleased with the way it has held up.
Posted By: eeb Re: Rugged Gear carts are JUNK - 07/16/18 12:29 AM
Same here. I’ve had one for about 8 years and it has held up fine.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Rugged Gear carts are JUNK - 07/16/18 01:35 AM
Originally Posted By: dhanks
So I ended up buying one of the 2-gun carts from Rugged Gear. Seemed to be well-built from the pictures on the website and I seen others using them. Here is the model I got http://www.ruggedgear.com/index.cfm/page...prod/prd308.htm

I've been using it since March 30th, so just under 3 months. I use the cart mainly on gravel roads for sporting clay courses; nothing extreme. Let me tell you, within three months this thing has broken down and is a complete piece of SH**. The design is terrible and is just prone to breaking. No roller bearing, metal, just plastic that will crack and break on the wheels.

Let's try again for more info and clarity: what did Rugged Gear say when you contacted them about their product's failure?
JR
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Rugged Gear carts are JUNK - 07/16/18 01:49 AM
I don't understand the time frame. You posted that the wheels fell off "today", and that you then ordered the other cart off craigslist and modified it. Can't understand how all that happened in a day.

I'd be curious about Rugged Gear's response, too.

SRH
Posted By: dhanks Re: Rugged Gear carts are JUNK - 07/16/18 02:29 AM
The Rugged Gear cart broke within three months. It's a piece of plastic junk. The day it broke I bought a baby stroller off Craigslist and it was 100x better than the Rugged Gear. I modified the baby stroller and now use it as my main cart. I just moved over the Rugged Gear front pouch, otherwise it's the baby stroller.

It's Sunday, Rugged Gear won't get back to me until Monday. Doesn't matter though. The product is crap. I'm sure they will offer a new wheel, but why would I want another plastic wheel with no bearings that will break again? Terrible design to start with.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Rugged Gear carts are JUNK - 07/16/18 10:18 AM
Thanks, for the reply. You certainly had a busy Saturday. cool

Good job on the conversion.

SRH
Posted By: Hammergun Re: Rugged Gear carts are JUNK - 07/16/18 11:30 AM
I've had my cart for about 10 years and it's been fine. Although my wheels are metal. I don't know when they switched to plastic wheels.
Posted By: gold40 Re: Rugged Gear carts are JUNK - 07/19/18 12:25 PM

I "junked" my RUGGED cart after 3 years of constant break-downs and repairs.

Who currently makes a good gun cart?
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Rugged Gear carts are JUNK - 07/19/18 12:36 PM
Originally Posted By: gold40
Who currently makes a good gun cart?

http://www.gunstrollers.com/
JR
Posted By: Austin Hawthorne Re: Rugged Gear carts are JUNK - 07/19/18 09:31 PM
Good looking cart, but for $500.00 it should come with a caddy.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Rugged Gear carts are JUNK - 07/19/18 10:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Austin Hawthorne
Good looking cart, but for $500.00 it should come with a caddy.

Since when does $350=$500? It's $349.95 for the standard version which is all anyone needs.
JR
Posted By: eeb Re: Rugged Gear carts are JUNK - 07/20/18 12:45 AM
The Brits carry their stuff. Why can’t we ?
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Rugged Gear carts are JUNK - 07/20/18 12:55 AM
Originally Posted By: eeb

You don't shoot much registered tournaments, huh eeb? Parking is usually way away from a course/courses, which are often a half mile long or better. Shells, shooting bag full of gear (I believe in being prepared), a cooler full of ice and drinks adds up fast. You can't hoof that around and shoot well. Now if you're just goofing around on the short course behind the club house, well...
JR
Posted By: Austin Hawthorne Re: Rugged Gear carts are JUNK - 07/20/18 02:41 AM
Why belittle someone for asking a valid question? Not all of us shoot alot of registered tournaments, and you can shoot many courses with 4 boxes of shells in a pouch and a bottle of water in your back pocket. We may be goofing around on the short course, but we're having fun.
Getting back to the original post....Trashing a company, or their entire product line, just because you're dissatisfied with one purchase seems a bit harsh to me. Rugged Gear carts are, like most things, built to sell at a certain price point.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Rugged Gear carts are JUNK - 07/20/18 04:31 AM
No belittling intended, Austin, just a straightforward explanation. Sorry if it seemed so.
JR
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Rugged Gear carts are JUNK - 07/21/18 12:33 AM

Digweed doesn't. I shot in a tournament with him at The Meadows, near Macon, GA some years ago (2006), called the Triple Classic. He rode a golf cart and hauled his gear like everyone else. Richard Faulds did, too. Both Brits.

Maybe, when you're in Rome................. you shoot Roman candles.

SRH
Posted By: eeb Re: Rugged Gear carts are JUNK - 07/21/18 12:58 AM
Originally Posted By: John Roberts

You don't shoot much registered tournaments, huh eeb? Parking is usually way away from a course/courses, which are often a half mile long or better. Shells, shooting bag full of gear (I believe in being prepared), a cooler full of ice and drinks adds up fast. You can't hoof that around and shoot well. Now if you're just goofing around on the short course behind the club house, well...
JR

No John I don’t and I’m not even a registered shooter. But I do shoot my share of casual clays and vintage shoots and I walk. Carrying one hundred rounds, my gun, and a bottle of water is no big deal. I see a lot of guys out there who could use a good walk.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Rugged Gear carts are JUNK - 07/21/18 09:13 AM
Eeb, I like to walk too and do it often. I too carry 100 rounds and water. The problem came when I was with son and dau-in-law and we wanted to try out wife's 20 bore and dau-in-law's new 16 on a sporting clay course while still shooting our 12's. It was just clumsy carting two guns apiece around. Which is why I built that $82.00 (total cost) baby carriage gun-trolly. Won't use it every time but when it's needed it's there.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=518058#Post518058
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Rugged Gear carts are JUNK - 07/22/18 03:18 AM
Originally Posted By: John Roberts

JR

No John I don’t and I’m not even a registered shooter. But I do shoot my share of casual clays and vintage shoots and I walk. Carrying one hundred rounds, my gun, and a bottle of water is no big deal. I see a lot of guys out there who could use a good walk.

We have no disagreement. Two entirely different scenarios.
JR
Posted By: claycrusher1900 Re: Rugged Gear carts are JUNK - 07/23/18 02:02 PM
I found a used jogging stroller at at garage sale for $25 and built my own wood supports for the guns. Then I glued thick felt over the wood wherever the guns touch it. I used it primarily for 3 gun competitions (lots and lots of ammo/mags/etc). In all, I have $30 into it
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com