doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: RedofTx Manufrance Robust 16 value? - 11/07/18 09:23 PM
Sirs, good afternoon. Just wanted ya’lls opinions on value of a French shotgun. Manufrance Robust 16ga ejector gun. Serial 311800. It opens almost like it’s assisted. Really easy breaks open. Grey receiver and barrels. Tight with forend off and on. No pitting, dents in the barrels. There is only about 3” left of the leather sling left attached to the return mechanism inside the stock. So it really doesn’t have a sling anymore. Buttplate is broken in two. Local gun store wants $620 o.t.d. for it.
Is it worth this?
Can anyone determine the date based on the model and serial#?
Also if I go back, what would have been the factory chamber length?
Didn’t have my gauges with me at the time. I’ve never had a French shotgun before.

Posted By: wingshooter16 Re: Manufrance Robust 16 value? - 11/07/18 09:37 PM
The Robust was the blue collar bread and butter double from La Manu. Most of them were 65mm til after the second war, if memory serves. There are others on the board that can speak better to them than I, but that price seems a little high, but not much. If in the condition you describe, will probably out live you. My book only lists serial numbers and dates for pre war Ideals.

New sling parts and mechanisms are still available.

Mike
Posted By: RedofTx Re: Manufrance Robust 16 value? - 11/07/18 09:42 PM
Thanks sir. Several years ago, you brought Cocoa to E.Tx for a released quail shoot to introduce my then 16yr old son to quail and shooting over a good working dog. I don't know if you'd remember or not. You brought a French 16 with a sling to use.
Posted By: GLS Re: Manufrance Robust 16 value? - 11/07/18 11:08 PM
The 234 was produced from 1949 through 1974. The 234L (ejector) began production in 1950. The factory chamber length will be on the barrel flats in mm. I have the Robust book and it has an ad listing the chambers in 1971 as 70 mm or 2 3/4". I don't believe there is a serial number list existing. I have a 226 which was made between 1932 and 1940 with a serial number of 189xxx. Hundreds of thousands of Robusts were made in various grades. They were mail order guns in France. Gil
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Manufrance Robust 16 value? - 11/07/18 11:45 PM
I'll repost these robust model numbers which can be used to help date the Robust.

Posted By: wingshooter16 Re: Manufrance Robust 16 value? - 11/08/18 12:41 PM
Originally Posted By: RedofTx
Thanks sir. Several years ago, you brought Cocoa to E.Tx for a released quail shoot to introduce my then 16yr old son to quail and shooting over a good working dog. I don't know if you'd remember or not. You brought a French 16 with a sling to use.

I remember it well- especially walking out to her while we were trying to eat lunch to rebuke her for "barking up the wrong tree"- only to find a quail sitting on the limb.

I trust you and yours are well.

Mike
Posted By: canvasback Re: Manufrance Robust 16 value? - 11/08/18 01:54 PM
Originally Posted By: GLS
The 234 was produced from 1949 through 1974. The 234L (ejector) began production in 1950. The factory chamber length will be on the barrel flats in mm. I have the Robust book and it has an ad listing the chambers in 1971 as 70 mm or 2 3/4". I don't believe there is a serial number list existing. I have a 226 which was made between 1932 and 1940 with a serial number of 189xxx. Hundreds of thousands of Robusts were made in various grades. They were mail order guns in France. Gil

Close to 950,000 to be a little more specific. One of the most successful SxS designs ever produced.
Posted By: 2-piper Re: Manufrance Robust 16 value? - 11/08/18 02:14 PM
A former co-worker of mine had a very nice 16 ga Robust. It had the roll-up sling in the butt & as I recall a swamped rib, very light but don't know its exact weight. I do not remember if it had MonoBlock barrels or not but I do distinctly remember they did not have the step of the "Fretted" barrels. I first became aware of it in the early 1970's but it was an older gun. I believe it would have been older than the one shown here. Anyone have any knowledge as to what model it may have been.
The gentleman who owned it has been deceased for several years & I have not the foggiest idea as to where it went.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Manufrance Robust 16 value? - 11/08/18 02:31 PM
Sirs, good afternoon. Just wanted ya’lls opinions on value of a French shotgun.

How much you have invested ?
Posted By: RedofTx Re: Manufrance Robust 16 value? - 11/08/18 02:58 PM
It has been at local gun store for a month. I'm looking at it right now. I don't really have to have it, but I've not had a french gun before, and it is really tight and light as well. So, so far, $0 put out on it.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Manufrance Robust 16 value? - 11/08/18 03:11 PM
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Sirs, good afternoon. Just wanted ya’lls opinions on value of a French shotgun.

How much you have invested ?

Why bother asking this jOe? Why not just start in with the crapping on other peoples' guns. It's what you do, isn't it. Dispense with the preliminaries...get down to the business at hand.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Manufrance Robust 16 value? - 11/08/18 09:21 PM
Redoftx I wouldn't pay $620 for it...if you cant shoot it or just end up not liking the gun it will be hard to get your money back.

Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Manufrance Robust 16 value? - 11/08/18 09:24 PM
Canvasback I don't recall replying to a canadian moron.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Manufrance Robust 16 value? - 11/09/18 04:43 AM
Red, just as reference or for fun, here are the current Manufrance Robust and Ideals for sale on the French gun site Naturabuy.fr if you want to take a look.

https://www.naturabuy.fr/Fusils-Juxtaposes-Manufrance-critere-13574892.html

If you need help with the French gun terms, try this line:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=480959
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: Manufrance Robust 16 value? - 11/10/18 04:42 AM
Depends. A lot of times these guns have incredible walnut on them that makes us all smile
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Manufrance Robust 16 value? - 11/10/18 03:55 PM
Not much finish remains on that particular example. Some guns live hard lives. The chamber length would have been marked on the flats at the proof house, either 65 (short) or 70, or 2 3/4”. The original bore size at time of proof will be marked as well, using that you can determine if the bores have been honed or otherwise tampered with.
The sling is repairable, the butt plate can be replaced, but, none of that will be free. You still have a gun missing most of it’s finish at that point. Quite usable, but not a collection focal point, so to speak.
I suppose it all comes down to if you can make use of the gun. The design itself is trouble free.
Good luck.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: RedofTx Re: Manufrance Robust 16 value? - 11/10/18 05:04 PM
Thank you all for the replies. I know an item's value can be so subjective, mainly between buyer and seller and how bad buyer wants it, unless it is a rare piece or piece with provenance. But 1)I don't have a 16, 2) it feels like it would be light and a pleasure to carry in the field.

Thanks.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Manufrance Robust 16 value? - 11/10/18 05:31 PM
I’ve bought guns for less reason than that. It should be very light.
Again, it will come down to what you need/want. That said, you could do much, much worse on a 16. Just about any of the hardware store American 16s, think Savage, Stevens, Winchester 24, etc. will be pigs by comparison.
Again, Good Luck.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Manufrance Robust 16 value? - 11/12/18 05:45 PM
The metal on that one doesn't look great, especially considering it's a relatively modern (post-WWII) gun. I'd check websites like gunsinternational.com and gunbroker to see what they're going for in the States. Just based on the photos you posted, I think the asking price is on the high side.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com