doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: KY Jon Sleeving barrels. - 03/13/19 08:50 PM
With John Foster retired and now gone who is the go to person to have a set of barrels sleeved? Was looking at two guns which both need to ge sleeved. Any suggestions who is now the person to use overvin GB?
Posted By: builder Re: Sleeving barrels. - 03/13/19 09:19 PM
Talk to Toby Barclay.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Sleeving barrels. - 03/13/19 09:21 PM
Talk to Toby Barclay. He obviously has resources.

Back in the day Rowland Watson, Gallyons, Benjamin Wild all sleeved barrels too.

See if you can get in touch with Paul Stevens, aka “barrel browner” on here, I’m sure he could steer you in the right direction too, as he’s directly involved in the barrel trade.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Sleeving barrels. - 03/13/19 09:27 PM
Maybe Teddy will share who he got to sleeve his fine Mossburg pumper
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Sleeving barrels. - 03/13/19 09:34 PM
Hey JOe I like mossburg pumps. Got a 500 which has kill a ton of game and a 3 1/2” monster 835 pump that I killed three geese, in the air at the same time with three shots. Daily limit in 15 seconds and bragging right for the season. Just like a 870, 37, 12 and 42 they all work well. It’s the Indian not the bow or arrow.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Sleeving barrels. - 03/13/19 10:04 PM
I had one of those 835 pieces of craps....

Heck of tail...3 accurate fast shots out of the hardest kicking 3.5" 12 gauge magnum on planet earth.

I guess next you'll tell us you were laying on your back when you pulled this off...and three days later they dug you up.

Posted By: old colonel Re: Sleeving barrels. - 03/13/19 11:26 PM
Kirk Merrington did an excellent job for me several years ago
Posted By: eightbore Re: Sleeving barrels. - 03/14/19 12:29 AM
What gun and what was the total cost? The options and add-ons sound extravagant. I would like to use him.
Posted By: ed good Re: Sleeving barrels. - 03/14/19 01:01 AM
seamless sleeving jobs cost $2000, ten years ago...

gotta be more now...
Posted By: Rocketman Re: Sleeving barrels. - 03/14/19 02:07 AM
Toby or Kirk. Toby got out a Woodward BLE pigeon sleeving job (32" heavy sleeving). I love it.

DDA
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Sleeving barrels. - 03/14/19 04:12 AM
He was asking who over in “GB” does sleeving, not here in the USA.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Sleeving barrels. - 03/14/19 05:33 AM
Ky ain't sleeving no gun he's just making small talk.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Sleeving barrels. - 03/14/19 10:11 AM
I hear Johnson's is the best. My friend just had a Grant Hammer sidelever sleeved to 31" by him.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Sleeving barrels. - 03/14/19 02:15 PM
Holts has two hammerguns in this upcoming auction which I have placed bids on. Both will need to be sleeved and it’s noted in their description. If I win I am going to have the work done and the gun gone over in general before importing. I know a few gunsmiths in the US can tackle such a job, but in this case experience pays. I’ve seen several that were attributed to John which were flawless. I’ve seen many others which left a lot to ge desired. If I can’t get it done right I’m not interested in doing it at all. So the question of who is now the go to gunsmith in GB. They do more a month than are done in the US in a year.

And. jOe, go crawl back under your rock. You are not nearly as funny as you think when you are off your meds.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Sleeving barrels. - 03/14/19 02:29 PM
KJ, David Trevallion was going to have this fellow do the barrels for the Purdey which blew. Sounds like a recommendation but I don't if he sleeves barrels. SKB knows of him. Bill Blacker. www.billblacker.co.uk.
Posted By: KDGJ Re: Sleeving barrels. - 03/14/19 02:34 PM
KYJon,

Diggory Haddoke at Vintage Guns will have the contacts to do the work. Give him a call. Toby B is another one.

Ken
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Sleeving barrels. - 03/14/19 02:42 PM
Also a few weeks before he died, John Foster sent me this via PM:

"Hi Gene We don't do sleeving now we retired 3 years ago. If you want the gun sleeving the best guy in the UK is John Gibbs from Bath his phone # 01761436827 John is a good friend of mine. Johns email is johngibbs1549@gmail.com."
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Sleeving barrels. - 03/14/19 03:20 PM
I had an Elsie Specialty invisibly sleeved by our Texas member here posting as gunmaker. He did a fantastic job for me but I understand from his posts lately that he is not accepting sleeving work anymore. I think he will build you one from scratch though...Geo
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: Sleeving barrels. - 03/14/19 04:28 PM
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
I had one of those 835 pieces of craps....

Heck of tail...3 accurate fast shots out of the hardest kicking 3.5" 12 gauge magnum on planet earth.

I guess next you'll tell us you were laying on your back when you pulled this off...and three days later they dug you up.

I'd pick the Benelli Nova (without the optional recoil reducer) as the hardest kicking pieces of plastic crap that I've ever shot.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Sleeving barrels. - 03/14/19 07:51 PM
I can't wait for the pics...that no one will ever see.
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: Sleeving barrels. - 03/14/19 07:53 PM
I never shot one you're probably right....I knew of a fellow that had his retina detached by one.

Funny fellow he also shot the tip of his finger off shooting a short barreled AR off the bench at my gun club.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com