doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Good Day for just Looking #1 - 12/27/21 03:02 PM
It's 10 degrees F below zero, even too cold to take out the garbage. I just got the dog [wirehair] inside and he does not seem to be cold, but it's just a good day to look at some fun guns. Here's a John Dickson with a Brazier patent. Very old gun and a conversion to centerfire. Rebounding locks.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: ellenbr Re: Good Day for just Looking - 12/27/21 03:36 PM
That's one huge trigger - guard. Does it have a function?

Send some of that Cool weather Southward as we are & will be in the mid 70s °F for the rest of the year.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Good Day for just Looking - 12/27/21 03:56 PM
Raimey, the trigger guard is sort of pulled to the rear to open the gun. There seems to be an additional barrel locking catch on top of the receiver.
Posted By: GLS Re: Good Day for just Looking - 12/27/21 04:00 PM
Daryl, Nice gun. I second Raimey aobout temps. Send the wx to the South, but also the colder wx to the NE and Mid Atlantic to move the woodcock south. It's in the 70s here and we need the cold wx to send the snakes back into their holes and at least get the mornings cool enough for the MuttPak to run. Cooler wx is scheduled for next week. Gil
Posted By: Stallones Re: Good Day for just Looking - 12/27/21 04:31 PM
SURE GLAD I AM IN TEXAS AT 70 DEGREES !!
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Good Day for just Looking - 12/27/21 04:34 PM
Could you pleasure us with a pic of the action of the triggerguard bow?

Yeah, chiggers & ticks are about and the Louisiana State Bird is multiplying daily with the only thing keeping them @ bay is the wind.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Good Day for just Looking - 12/27/21 04:43 PM
Gun also sports a grip safety.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Good Day for just Looking - 12/27/21 05:08 PM
Raimey, this is the only other picture I have of the gun. I sold it years ago in Vegas after trading a Suburban for it. I think I made $35 on the car/gun trade, not counting the Vegas table, room, and travel costs. I "think" the notch under the barrel was a catch for the trigger actuated locking devise.

Posted By: battle Re: Good Day for just Looking - 12/27/21 07:36 PM
I'm in KY and it's 68. Playing golf Friday.
Posted By: mc Re: Good Day for just Looking - 12/27/21 07:54 PM
I'm at port aux chenes La.fishing about 70 something degrees.nice shotgun
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Good Day for just Looking - 12/28/21 12:07 PM
Raimey, these images, furnished by Steve Helsley, are of a 16 ga. Brazier pinfire. They nicely show the way the Dickson/Brazier locking mechanism works.

Posted By: ellenbr Re: Good Day for just Looking - 12/28/21 01:18 PM
Thanks Mr. Hallquist & Steve for the efforts. I do wonder who was on top on the scattergun - Suburban deal, or if it was a push?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Good Day for just Looking - 12/28/21 02:13 PM
Raimey, I got $35 more from the Dickson than I was asking for my Suburban. Like I said, I did not count in the Vegas table, lodging, and travel. But, I have really enjoyed looking at the pics and remembering the Dickson over the years. Actually, there is a rather small copy of one of my pics in the Dickson book by Dallas.
Posted By: bsteele Re: Good Day for just Looking - 12/28/21 02:51 PM
That is a remarkably shaped trigger guard for an English gun. I guess the only time I’ve seen that style guard would be on early French and Belgian (other continental makers too, I’m sure) guns. Very cool gun Daryl!
Posted By: Roy Hebbes Re: Good Day for just Looking - 12/28/21 03:35 PM
Happy New Year Daryl,
Enjoy the View and a very nice gun.
Best Wishes
RoY
P.S .
My Daugther resides in Prince George, B.C.and is currently facing the coldest Winter in 50 years .Minus 40.C. plus a recent 13 inch snow fall.Still there are many people who will not accept the fact that World temperature patterns are changing.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Good Day for just Looking - 12/28/21 04:04 PM
Roy, thanks for the greeting. I had to think a bit, but minus 40 C. is the only temperature that is the same on the Fahrenheit scale. Even living in Anchorage, Alaska, I don't think I experienced any colder temperatures. But farther north of Anchorage minus 70 degree F temperatures are not uncommon.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Good Day for just Looking - 12/28/21 10:57 PM
Today it is in the 70s°F and on Sunday afternoon we are forecasted to have snow?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: keith Re: Good Day for just Looking - 12/29/21 01:18 AM
One nice thing about cold winter weather is that it gives us the time to catch up on things like cleaning and examining our guns. I really enjoy seeing some of Daryl's shotguns. I especially liked the engraving and workmanship on his Charles Giddings hammer gun. Wow!

Originally Posted by Roy Hebbes
P.S .
My Daugther resides in Prince George, B.C.and is currently facing the coldest Winter in 50 years .Minus 40.C. plus a recent 13 inch snow fall.Still there are many people who will not accept the fact that World temperature patterns are changing.

I don't know a single person who does not accept the fact of climate change. The climate has always changed, and what we see now is nothing new. Saying that Prince George, B.C. has the coldest temps in 50 years only confirms that they have had that sort of frigid weather before. Greenland has that name because it was warmer and greener in the distant past. Remains of Viking Longhouses emerging from melting glaciers were there before they were buried under hundreds of feet of ice. The Obama's didn't spend almost $12 million on a house on the beach at Martha's Vineyard because they really believe it will be under water in a decade, as predicted by Sky-is-Falling alarmists... such as the guy who wanted to make a wager with Ted about an economist's predictions about Biden caused inflation.

One thing that will never change is the abundance of hysterical scientists and researchers who often turn out to be totally wrong about things. The same people who cannot give a guaranteed accurate weather forecast two weeks out are 100% confident of their predictions for 20 years from now, and they ridicule those who dare to question them or cherry-picked data. The next global cooling cycle is going to be a lot more detrimental to humanity than the current minor changes.

I put a new set of studded snow tires on my truck a few weeks ago because I expect winter to be winter... same as usual around here. I just stepped outside, and it's snowing. Flintlock deer season is here!
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Good Day for just Looking - 01/03/22 03:08 AM
Well, it did in fact snow tonight. So the prognosticators were most correct. Tomorrow may just be a good day to look.......

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com