doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Lawrence Kotchek some paper hull questions. - 09/10/23 10:56 PM
so I just bought a crap ton of old once fired 12 gauge paper hulls. About 1000 are Federals which I know about. Most are Western or Winchester Super target (which I assume are the same hull) supposedly from the Grand back in the 60's. Then there are some Remington Shure Shot and Canuck Trap & Grand marked Hulls too.
The questions are...
can I use Federal Paper data for these assuming low pressure?
Do they all take 209 primers or do I need old 109 Remington primers?
I think I have about 7000 total
Thanks
Posted By: Researcher Re: some paper hull questions. - 09/11/23 12:39 AM
The quick answer is weed out the Federals and throw the rest into the incinerator.
Posted By: skeettx Re: some paper hull questions. - 09/11/23 05:00 AM
I have loaded thousands of the Winchester Super Target hulls with PB
Started using the Lee Hand Loader and moved up

All the hulls you mentioned take the 209 primer, except the Rem hulls

Is the 7000 total, hulls or Rem *57 primers
I only have 5000 of the *57 primers left
Mike
Posted By: Lawrence Kotchek Re: some paper hull questions. - 09/11/23 01:28 PM
its 7000 hulls plus whatever I already had.
I dont know if I have any 57 primers still or not as I have been using them in a 209 primer pistol for dog training
Thanks I should have old data around but would rather use a plastic wad rather than cork & felt. I do have a few pounds of PB
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: some paper hull questions. - 09/11/23 01:52 PM
So, not to be disrespectful, but I am trying to figure out why you guys like/use paper hulls. I see gobs of them in the trash cans out at the club, and I can't understand why you guys prefer them over plastic hulls so much. Do plastic hulls mess up your guns ? Can somebody educate me on this? Thanks.
Posted By: GLS Re: some paper hull questions. - 09/11/23 02:47 PM
Jimmy, those that like them do so for the same reason we like double guns, SXS. Nothing practical; just adherence to tradition. Gil
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: some paper hull questions. - 09/11/23 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by GLS
Jimmy, those that like them do so for the same reason we like double guns, SXS. Nothing practical; just adherence to tradition. Gil
Okay. I see. I thought maybe the plastic hulls would mess up the damascus barrels or the older guns or something. So you guys prefer the Federal paper hulls, huh? That's great. Thanks for the information. I appreciate it.
Posted By: Marks_21 Re: some paper hull questions. - 09/11/23 03:23 PM
There are alot a really good plastic handled knives out there and quite a few black plastic guns... Style counts for a lot!
Posted By: skeettx Re: some paper hull questions. - 09/11/23 03:43 PM
Jimmy W,

IT IS THE SMELL smile

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Posted By: Researcher Re: some paper hull questions. - 09/11/23 04:22 PM
To those of us with some years on us, nothing smells better than a freshly fired Federal paper. When I started trap shooting back in the 1960s at the old Seattle Skeet & Trap Cub at Redmond, WA, the fields would be littered with once fired Winchester, Western, Remington & Peters hulls, but if a Federal was on the ground it had burned through pin holes from being reloaded three or four times. The load most popular was 23-grains of Red Dot, a nitro card, two Alcan Felton Blue Streak wads pushing 1 1/8-ounce of shot.
Posted By: GLS Re: some paper hull questions. - 09/11/23 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by Researcher
To those of us with some years on us, nothing smells better than a freshly fired Federal paper. .
Original formula Hoppe''s #9 is up there with paper hull's smell after firing...
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: some paper hull questions. - 09/11/23 07:20 PM
This is why!
Karl
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: some paper hull questions. - 09/11/23 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by Karl Graebner
This is why!
Karl

That's a hoot!
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: some paper hull questions. - 09/11/23 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by skeettx
Jimmy W,

IT IS THE SMELL smile

You Wascal, you!! I was going to ask if they smelled better when you sniffed them, but I didn't want to be a smart alec. Good one, skeettx. You too, Karl!! smile
Posted By: Lawrence Kotchek Re: some paper hull questions. - 09/11/23 09:43 PM
so yes its the smell and the tradition. I guess it is also more biodegradable if you dont use a plastic wad. Also lower recoil...
Posted By: ed good Re: some paper hull questions. - 09/11/23 10:02 PM
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: some paper hull questions. - 09/11/23 10:39 PM
There's more reason than has been mentioned, JimmyW. Paper hulls also generate lower pressures than plastic ones, all other variables being equal.
Posted By: ksauers1 Re: some paper hull questions. - 09/12/23 07:58 PM
Ooooh that smell. Nothing like it. It takes me back to my youth
Posted By: tanky Re: some paper hull questions. - 09/13/23 02:57 AM
Ya, the smell, caused by the use of bees wax. Newer ones probably paraffin. Anyone with some age feels some nostalgia when they smell that. Now Hoppes no 9 original contained Nitro benzene. Benzene does have a pleasant smell but is one of the most cancer causing chemicals known. Wonder how many shooters died of cancer as a result of handling that before Hoppes changed the formula. I'll bet there where a lot of mysterious deaths where they made the stuff.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: some paper hull questions. - 09/13/23 02:18 PM
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] How about this? Would this be tradition enough? He-he!! Will it take your back to your youth, ksauers1?
Posted By: GLS Re: some paper hull questions. - 09/13/23 02:48 PM
Cheddite paper hulls have plastic bases. Gil
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com