doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Gt1900 Trunk cases now that Jeff’s is gone - 12/20/23 05:18 PM
Does anyone know of a place to get a leather trunk case without breaking the bank now that Jeff’s is gone. TIA
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Trunk cases now that Jeff’s is gone - 12/21/23 03:40 AM
Jeff's was it I fear. If someone has stepped into that void I'm unaware of them.
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: Trunk cases now that Jeff’s is gone - 12/21/23 04:41 AM
Look on Ebay for the GDK leather takedown case from England. With shipping about the cost of a Jeff's.
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Trunk cases now that Jeff’s is gone - 12/21/23 01:46 PM
What are you looking for?

Be specific

Maybe I can help

John Boyd
Posted By: eightbore Re: Trunk cases now that Jeff’s is gone - 12/21/23 02:28 PM
SXS 40, can you give us a good search word or item number to look for the cases you mention?
Posted By: CJF Re: Trunk cases now that Jeff’s is gone - 12/21/23 02:43 PM
Good answers above. Another option are the UK auction houses. I know Holts ships here direct on non-gun purchases like cases. I bought a beautiful small case with a Dickson label for my Dickson rook from Holts.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Trunk cases now that Jeff’s is gone - 12/21/23 03:44 PM
No and that's a shame. If one decides to want to spend the extra money on a more than average case then I would suggest one of the people that are making cases here in the USA. I have used FEI Guncases before to make me a case and even retore a case for me. Pleasant people and not all unreasonable in pricing.
If you require a traditional English case, like one like Purdey, Boss or Holland are using for their guns then there is TEG London for that route.
I have two of their cases and they are superb in quality as they make cases for the top makers in England.
I took advantage of Jeff's Christmas special special on canvas and leather cases for years. I have some that he had marked down to $125...Geo
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: Trunk cases now that Jeff’s is gone - 12/21/23 04:13 PM
When searching EBay, just put in GDK shotgun case. Or use the words guardian leather shotgun case. They also have nice leather shotgun slips.
Originally Posted by SXS 40
When searching EBay, just put in GDK shotgun case. Or use the words guardian leather shotgun case. They also have nice leather shotgun slips.

I agree. I have two of their cases and one of Jeff's. Unless there is something under the felt and leather that cannot be seen I dont think you can tell the difference.
I have several mahogany cases for older guns. These are extras. Also have a Manton and Son leather case with labels If anyone is interested, my email is in my profile.
Originally Posted by Perry M. Kissam

I agree. I have two of their cases and one of Jeff's. Unless there is something under the felt and leather that cannot be seen I dont think you can tell the difference.
Originally Posted by Perry M. Kissam

Those GDK cases sure look incredible, for the money. Are they actually leather?
Posted By: eightbore Re: Trunk cases now that Jeff’s is gone - 12/21/23 08:40 PM
I think I have several of those cases that I bought from a hustler in the USA. He seemed to have imported a bunch of them. I am satisfied with the ones I bought. They seem to be much nicer than the price would suggest. Yes, I think it's really leather.
Posted By: geco Re: Trunk cases now that Jeff’s is gone - 12/21/23 09:13 PM
I just got a leather slip case that was very, very nice from these people. It is from China but the quality and customer service was excellent. They sell on ETSY, E-Bay etc.
https://www.ebay.com/str/tourbonsafari2015/Hunting/_i.html?store_cat=8308451011&_pgn=2
Posted By: canvasback Re: Trunk cases now that Jeff’s is gone - 12/21/23 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by geco
I just got a leather slip case that was very, very nice from these people. It is from China but the quality and customer service was excellent. They sell on ETSY, E-Bay etc.
https://www.ebay.com/str/tourbonsafari2015/Hunting/_i.html?store_cat=8308451011&_pgn=2

That’s what I wanted to hear. Don’t need cases but could use a couple of leather slips.
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: Trunk cases now that Jeff’s is gone - 12/21/23 10:00 PM
The leather slip cases from GDK are nicer than the Tourbon. I have both.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Trunk cases now that Jeff’s is gone - 12/21/23 10:03 PM
James:

FWIW I got one of their slip-on pads last Summer (for no money) and it is pretty nice (Tourbon).

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I also have a Tourbon and I think the GDK Guardian cases are nicer. And, actually both of these makers sell leather cases and PU (artificial leather??). The PU actually looks quite good. The insides are the same.
Posted By: casemaker Re: Trunk cases now that Jeff’s is gone - 01/09/24 07:03 PM
Received an email from this outfit, they seem to have picked up the Jeff's Outfitter's case line.

https://venatti.net/venatti
Casemaker,
Thanks for the link! It certainly looks as if they have, those look to be just like the ones from Jeff's that I'm pleased with!
Karl
Posted By: canvasback Re: Trunk cases now that Jeff’s is gone - 01/09/24 07:49 PM
Just got that email as well and that's the conclusion I have come to. Same cases. Similar prices. Not exact but close enough I won't feel ripped off.
Posted By: Brian Re: Trunk cases now that Jeff’s is gone - 01/09/24 08:52 PM
Have any of you purchased a case from Venatti

how was the transaction. how is the case?
Posted By: canvasback Re: Trunk cases now that Jeff’s is gone - 01/09/24 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by Brian
Have any of you purchased a case from Venatti

how was the transaction. how is the case?

I have queried them a bit. They are specific....they have taken over the business Jeff had....mailing list and product sourcing and the cases are effectively the same cases made in the same place.
Posted By: Fudd Re: Trunk cases now that Jeff’s is gone - 01/12/24 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by canvasback
I have queried them a bit....

Did you happen to ask them if they ship to Canada, and which carrier(s) they use? Because I'd buy one or two of their canvas motor cases, at those prices, if they shipped via US Postal Service.
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: Trunk cases now that Jeff’s is gone - 01/13/24 03:14 AM
I purchased a leather compact case from Venatti this week, it arrived in 3 days from Texas. The construction is almost identical to a Jeff’s case. The leather is more like a suede rather than a hard leather finish, I like the soft look, it looks more luxurious. I don’t think it can be beat for the money.
I purchased a leather compact case from Venatti this week, it arrived in 3 days from Texas. The construction is almost identical to a Jeff’s case. The leather is more like a suede rather than a hard leather finish, I like the soft look, it looks more luxurious. I don’t think it can be beat for the money.

Can you describe the cloth used in the interior?
Posted By: canvasback Re: Trunk cases now that Jeff’s is gone - 01/13/24 03:22 AM
Originally Posted by Fudd
Originally Posted by canvasback
I have queried them a bit....

Did you happen to ask them if they ship to Canada, and which carrier(s) they use? Because I'd buy one or two of their canvas motor cases, at those prices, if they shipped via US Postal Service.

Fudd, you have to call and speak directly to them. Their website is not set uP for international. But they are very happy to take the order. A word of caution. They are going to want to ship FedEx. My experience with FedEx for importing product has not been good. Lots of fees and the shipping isn't cheap either. I was planning to try to convince them to use USPS for Canada. Fast enough, no import fees...simply duty (should be none, made in Mexico) and taxes.

SXS 40, I got the last ammo case Jeff's had in September. I think it has the same leather you got. It's fantastic. I also bought his last case in the old style leather. Not nearly so nice but the price was right.
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: Trunk cases now that Jeff’s is gone - 01/13/24 05:41 PM
Stanton,

As they say, "a picture...................." click image to enlarge.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Thanks. Hard to say this without sounding like I'm putting you down, and I really do not intend to, but a pic doesn't adequately express quality. I have been told by a close friend that the quality of the cloth in Jeff's Mexican cases is poor .......... nowhere near that of an Emmebi or other best quality case. Just repeating what i've been told, not personal experience.
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: Trunk cases now that Jeff’s is gone - 01/14/24 03:06 AM
At the price, these are definitely not “best quality” cases, they are after all made in Mexico. I would say the cloth quality is in keeping with something made in Mexico. They serve the purpose well. No offense taken.🙂
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Trunk cases now that Jeff’s is gone - 01/14/24 02:41 PM
You can not expect the same quality of the cases coming from Mexico as you would from Spain or Italy. But there is a different price point too. Same as shoes. You can buy a pair of shoes made in Mexico and pay a small price or buy Italian and get a different quality at a higher price.

I imported cases from Brady, Leather Craft, Emmebi, Caces, Nizzoli, Esposito, Radar. Also Tessier from Mexico. Mexico has a different view of quality but cater to a customer who is looking for a less expensive case.

John Boyd
Quality Arms
John: That's a good, gentle way of putting it.
Posted By: Mills Re: Trunk cases now that Jeff’s is gone - 02/27/24 10:01 PM
I got an email from Venatti advertising their cases and am very tempted, considering the low price and all I need is something to get the job done. Their rifle cases are especially tempting as I have trouble transporting rifles in my trucks
I've been going with Negrini cases as of late.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com