doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: KY Jon What grade D. M. Lefever & Sons - 04/18/24 05:16 AM
I love these late DM Lefevers.
[Linked Image from assets.gunbroker.com]
Posted By: Marks_21 Re: What grade D. M. Lefever & Sons - 04/18/24 12:26 PM
SO DO I!!
I believe the above gun is a 7D. I say this because it has single dogs, no engraving behind the breach balls and less (maybe?) flourish on the narrow portion of the action.
But as I post this photo of a 6C ---- I could be convinced itโ€™s a C minus!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: PALUNC Re: What grade D. M. Lefever & Sons - 04/18/24 01:11 PM
Nice engraving
Posted By: keith Re: What grade D. M. Lefever & Sons - 04/19/24 02:49 AM
I'd say the gun could be either a Grade 7D or 8E, based upon the engraving and embellishment. There seems to be some overlap between the grades. Going by the serial number of this gun, and the engraved name of the company, along with the "Not Connected With Lefever Arms Co." disclaimer. I would also guess it to be a Syracuse built gun made in 1903. However, this is a trigger plate action, and I'm not sure the trigger plate action guns were built while the new company was still in Syracuse. However, I know of one Grade 9F that also has the "Not Connected With Lefever Arms Co." disclaimer, and the 9F supposedly was not introduced until 1905 when the company was in Bowling Green, Ohio.

The Grade of D.M Lefever Crossbolt guns is sometimes found written in pencil under the grip cap, and less frequently under the buttplate or trigger guard. I have one almost identical to this one, but don't know whether to call it a 7D or 8E grade because it has a semi-pistol grip. My gun also has Damascus barrels.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: What grade D. M. Lefever & Sons - 04/20/24 01:36 PM
Exquisite engraving!! On both guns!!๐Ÿ‘
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com