doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: PALUNC Southern Side by Side - 04/26/24 11:07 AM
Attended the Southern yesterday, I will be there all four days as I am a member there. Saw lot's of nice guns, American and English and about any make you may have intrest in.
I did pick up another Dickson Round Action yesterday.
Posted By: Southern Sport Re: Southern Side by Side - 04/26/24 03:24 PM
Will be there Saturday and Sunday. It's only 25 minutes from my house. Never miss it. Looking for Fox 20 gauges this year.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Southern Side by Side - 04/26/24 09:36 PM
Sounds like fun!! Good luck.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Southern Side by Side - 04/26/24 10:12 PM
South of the Mason Dixon Line.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Southern Side by Side - 04/26/24 10:21 PM
Okay. Thanks! 👍
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Southern Side by Side - 04/26/24 11:02 PM
Plenty of Foxes there. I looked at an A Grade 20 bore today
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Southern Side by Side - 04/27/24 04:43 PM
Any pictures?
Posted By: CJF Re: Southern Side by Side - 04/28/24 03:02 PM
I was there Thursday. I've been taking a friend whose interests previously had only been over/unders and he's gotten his first sis, albeit a new one.

Overall the weather was fantastic and the whole mood there was so much better than last year's event. I picked up a new-old-stock Emmebi case for a small gauge Parker Reproduction that fits my 360EX Watson double rifle well, plus a flat of 2 1/2" 12 bore shells and a book.

I wish I'd gotten the contact info from one of the UK vendors there who had a banner up saying they did case restorations and had case repair parts. I'd like to find an original Purdey double rifle case for the rifle that's inbound. I was hoping to share the dimensions with them and ask for help finding one and setting it up for my rifle.
Posted By: FallCreekFan Re: Southern Side by Side - 04/28/24 07:36 PM
Was it Toby Barclay at Heritage Guns?

http://www.heritageguns.co.uk/about.htm
Posted By: bushveld Re: Southern Side by Side - 04/28/24 08:32 PM
Yes
Posted By: CJF Re: Southern Side by Side - 04/28/24 09:04 PM
I imagine it was. Did Toby set up in the upper tent, across the tent aisle from where the ACG booth was?

And thank you!
Posted By: CJF Re: Southern Side by Side - 04/28/24 09:13 PM
FallCreekFan & Bushveld - have you worked with Toby before?
Posted By: bushveld Re: Southern Side by Side - 04/29/24 12:25 AM
Yes.
Posted By: FallCreekFan Re: Southern Side by Side - 04/29/24 01:23 AM
No
Posted By: eeb Re: Southern Side by Side - 04/29/24 02:07 AM
Toby Barclay partners with Bob Ney of McNab. Bob always has an extensive display of nice stuff restored by Toby, plus consignment guns.
Posted By: CJF Re: Southern Side by Side - 04/29/24 09:50 PM
Thank you. That helps.
Posted By: Toby Barclay Re: Southern Side by Side - 04/30/24 12:13 PM
CJF, I can be contacted through my web site or direct on info@heritageguns.co.uk.
Happy to try and help but don't hold your breath for a Purdey rifle case, Rocking Horse S*** is more common! Having said that, there was one in Holts main sale recently: you will need to move fast and have deep pockets to get one.
Very best regards,
Toby
Posted By: CJF Re: Southern Side by Side - 04/30/24 02:43 PM
Hi Toby,

I saw that one at Holts, and a second somewhere else, so I was a victim of recency-bias.

If you see any rocking horse s***, please PM me. Of course, I'm still in the anxiously waiting stage of procuring the rifle that will inhabit this case, so I will still hold off till the rifle is in hand and is going to stay with me.

To your knowledge, do most correct double rifle cases have those little wood squares in the top cover for the front and rear sights? I saw those on the Holts case.

Regards,
Chris
Posted By: Nitrah Re: Southern Side by Side - 04/30/24 03:50 PM
Paul, I am probably not the only one who would like to hear more or see pics of your new Round Action
Posted By: Purpleshells Re: Southern Side by Side - 04/30/24 10:18 PM
Second that on a pic of the Dickson
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com