doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: jerry6stl Why aren't there imported repro's? - 09/05/07 01:34 AM

Why aren't there imported repro Foxes, Lefevers,etc.?

I do own a repro Parker that was made 20+ years ago in Japan. I also know there was an attempt to make repro Ithaca's in Italy about 8 years ago. But rather than manufacturing new designs such as the Huglu, S&W, SKB, etc. overseas, I wonder why they aren't making repro Lefevers, Foxes, and Parkers? Wouldn't the Parker tooling still be available from Japan?

Wouldn't it seem worthwhile for a Turkish, Vietnamese, or
Chinese company to make an A.H. Fox copy for under a grand?

JERRY
Posted By: Coryreb Re: Why aren't there imported repro's? - 09/05/07 01:43 AM
Requires too much tooling and work to produce something nice and worthwhile to the crowd that will pay what it would cost to produce. Look at the "LC Smith" Marlin reproduction as an example.
Posted By: Pete Re: Why aren't there imported repro's? - 09/05/07 02:13 AM
Frankly, nice condition original field grade guns are underpriced.
Posted By: StormsGSP Re: Why aren't there imported repro's? - 09/05/07 03:00 AM
I hope to hell they don't.
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: Why aren't there imported repro's? - 09/05/07 03:07 AM
Oh, I don't know. A Winchester 24 .410 on tiny frame with decent wood and no checkering would be cute, yes?
Posted By: GregSY Re: Why aren't there imported repro's? - 09/05/07 03:12 AM
I like to think it's because the gun companies are trying to resist sending yet another product and technology overseas to a country that is either Communist or at the very least has the interests of their own country over that of the USA.

Anyone who buys a Chinese made gun should be....forced to live in their new homeland, China.
Posted By: Don Moody Re: Why aren't there imported repro's? - 09/05/07 11:49 AM
Originally Posted By: Coryreb
Look at the "LC Smith" Marlin reproduction as an example.

The "L.C.Smith" Marlin is not a reproduction.
I think the repo NIDs are the one to watch...

I heard that the Italian maker of the NID actions, sold the CNC machinery to someone in Turkey...If that's true, it won't be long before we start seeing Turkish NIDs

A very knowledgeable member of this bulletin system told me that the Beschi NIDs are of poor quality...this guy would certainly know, and I don't doubt his opinion, but I have never seen one...

On the other hand, every Beschi shotgun I've seen was of very high quality (Franchi)...Does anyone know if there are two Beschi's or did Mario Beschi's products become inexpensive?

also...the Turkish (?) LC Smith I saw wasn't a LC design whatsoever...It was just some cheese bucket with the LC Smith name on it
Posted By: Kevin Gibson Re: Why aren't there imported repro's? - 09/05/07 06:37 PM
Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
Oh, I don't know. A Winchester 24 .410 on tiny frame with decent wood and no checkering would be cute, yes?
If you like guns that got their aesthetic inspiration from a 2x4, then yes.
I've heard the Winchester model 24 described as the "Ted Kennedy" of the doublegun world...all of the name, but none of the class...
Posted By: PeteM Re: Why aren't there imported repro's? - 09/06/07 02:11 PM
Originally Posted By: jerry6stl
Why aren't there imported repro Foxes, Lefevers,etc.?

I do own a repro Parker that was made 20+ years ago in Japan. I also know there was an attempt to make repro Ithaca's in Italy about 8 years ago. But rather than manufacturing new designs such as the Huglu, S&W, SKB, etc. overseas, I wonder why they aren't making repro Lefevers, Foxes, and Parkers? Wouldn't the Parker tooling still be available from Japan?

Wouldn't it seem worthwhile for a Turkish, Vietnamese, or
Chinese company to make an A.H. Fox copy for under a grand?

The biggest problem is licensing. The Ken Hurst Lefever will most likely never be called a Lefever on the gun. Why do you want to put Tony Galazan out of business by importing Fox guns? The other reality is that the American market for a sxs is very small no matter what the date of manufacture.

Pete
Hey Pete,
What's the problem with Ken using the Lefever name? Isn't it "public domain" after 75 years? And since Ithaca is no longer in business who could challenge him? Even if the Ithaca Gun Co. receivers challenged him, all he have to do is change the name slightly, like Lefever Phoenix...or Lefever Gun rather than Lefever Arms...No one owns a blanket trademark covering all trademarks that use the word Lefever somewhere in the name...and anyone who says they do is probably bluffing.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com