doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Bill Graham Pitted concave rib - 02/23/19 06:21 AM
What methods do folks use to file out pits in a smooth concave rubs?
Posted By: gunman Re: Pitted concave rib - 02/23/19 10:15 AM
A great deal of care as you do not know how thin they can be.

Two ways I can suggest , make a wooden block the profile of the concave and either wrap a piece of emery cloth round it .
Or , take a half round file cut off the tang and adhere it to a block of wood say two inches deep as a handle and use as a float .
Shaped scrapers can also be used but again with caution and some practice .
Posted By: SKB Re: Pitted concave rib - 02/23/19 10:25 AM
Round mold makers stones or soft stones work great as well.
Posted By: mark Re: Pitted concave rib - 02/24/19 01:22 AM
Bill. I heat up a chainsaw file to red just ahead of the handle then bend to about a 45. You can now lay the file flat on the rib. I do same with a rod slipped inside some rubber tubing to make a backer for low tack PSA abrasive.
Posted By: Bill Graham Re: Pitted concave rib - 02/28/19 07:58 PM
The bent chainsaw file is working great, Mark. I bent it to provide a handle, and also bent the nose up slightly so it doesn’t dig in anywhere.
Posted By: Bill Graham Re: Pitted concave rib - 02/28/19 07:59 PM
Originally Posted By: mark
I do same with a rod slipped inside some rubber tubing to make a backer for low tack PSA abrasive.

What is PSA abrasive?
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Pitted concave rib - 02/28/19 09:08 PM
Peel and stick adhesive. (PSA)

SRH
Posted By: mark Re: Pitted concave rib - 03/01/19 12:21 AM
Originally Posted By: B. Graham
The bent chainsaw file is working great, Mark. I bent it to provide a handle, and also bent the nose up slightly so it doesn’t dig in anywhere.

Bill, I just grind a radius on the end to prevent scratching .

Hear is the paper I use. It sticks but does not bond so it removes easily . I also use Norton A275 sheets as well.

https://www.nortonabrasives.com/en-us/a275op-ao-fine-grit-paper-psa-roll
Posted By: Travis S Re: Pitted concave rib - 03/01/19 12:44 AM
What a great place to hang out. You guys and your willingness to share are truly inspirational.

Many Thanks

Travis
Posted By: Bill Graham Re: Pitted concave rib - 03/01/19 03:15 PM
Originally Posted By: mark
Originally Posted By: B. Graham

Hear is the paper I use. It sticks but does not bond so it removes easily . I also use Norton A275 sheets as well.

https://www.nortonabrasives.com/en-us/a275op-ao-fine-grit-paper-psa-roll

Thanks Mark. I’ve been using various diameters of heater hose, split lengthwise. It will flex nicely as the barrel taper changes. I think that paper would well for that use as well.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com