doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Bill Graham Bead location standard - 03/04/19 03:26 PM
On an English gun, is there a specific front bead location standard? Cut a barrel to correct a previously poor cut, aggressive pitting, and would like the replace the bead in the correct location.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Bead location standard - 03/04/19 03:46 PM
Bill, I thinks the standard is 1/3rd of the barrel length back from the front bead. Someone will correct if I'm wrong.
Best Wishes...Geo
Posted By: james-l Re: Bead location standard - 03/04/19 05:25 PM
Geo, I think he is referring to the location of the front bead.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Bead location standard - 03/04/19 06:06 PM
Originally Posted By: james-l
Geo, I think he is referring to the location of the front bead.

Probably help if I paid more attention. Nevertheless, once he puts on the front bead, he's gonna want to know where to place the 2nd one. Well he might...Geo
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Bead location standard - 03/06/19 10:24 PM
Hi George-- I own and shoot 3 12 gauge guns with (past tense) mid-rib bead sights-- (1) 1948 M12 Pigeon Grade Trap gun 30" VR barrel-- front sight is about 1/2" back from muzzle- mid rib bead sight is aprox. 1/3rd, back to the "Duckbilled top rib extension-

My Ideal Grade LONGRANGE has 32" barrels, file cut rib-- midbead is aprox. 1/2 way back, but it is possible that smallish bead was added later- dates to 1929-- I'm NOT by any means the original owner-- I find it somewhat convenient for turkey hunting--

My Mossenburgher Ulti-Mag (black special ops. 835 ) 3&1/2" capable, came with a goldish mid-bead- got knocked loose in a duck blind late season gunning- never replaced it, but epoxied the threaded hole in the VR to keep out water, rust and crud--

When I shot Trap with the M12- pre-mounting the gun, I found the mid-bead sight somewhat helpful-- mainly to prevent "canting" the gun-- but for wing shooting, I never see the front sight bead, let alone any mid-rib bead-- so it is a "moot point" I should guess- RWTF
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Bead location standard - 03/06/19 10:49 PM
Fox I agree 1/2 inch back is about right for the front bead. However I have some that are "hanging ten" right over the muzzle, so there is some variation among makers...Geo
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Bead location standard - 03/07/19 10:57 PM
George,
There is quite a variation between makers. My Churchill had the front bead even with the muzzle which had been snagged and subsequently damaged the front of the rib. Del Whitman relocated the bead about one bead diameter to the rear and put an indexed screw in the original place.
Karl
Posted By: gunman Re: Bead location standard - 03/08/19 12:12 PM
I have fitted dozens of bead sights , to new barrels , new ribs , shortened/lengthened barrels . Just put it where it looks right .About say a 1/4" inch in from the muzzle on a standard rib , a bit further back [3/8"] on a wide one .
Posted By: mark Re: Bead location standard - 03/08/19 02:24 PM
Gunman how do you lengthen barrels?
Posted By: SKB Re: Bead location standard - 03/08/19 02:29 PM
I put them in my barrel stretcher wink

I store it next to the bucket of dial tone.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Bead location standard - 03/08/19 09:48 PM
Originally Posted By: mark
Gunman how do you lengthen barrels?

I'd like to know that, too.

SRH
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Bead location standard - 03/09/19 01:36 AM
Add a PolyChoke...Geo
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com