doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: 3978 combo gun - 11/18/06 03:22 AM
I have a 6lbs double shotgun smoth bore, shallow groove slow twist combonation with fluid steel barrels french make pre WW2. Any ideas on what was originaly shoved thru these barrels
Posted By: Dave Weber Re: combo gun - 11/19/06 10:32 PM
The probability is very high that the gun is just a shotgun...The French used a shallow twist rifling called "Canon Raye" this was designed into the bore of a shotgun as a shot spreading device (anti-choke) for hunting fast flushing birds at close range (eg...woodcock)
Posted By: 3978 Re: combo gun - 11/19/06 11:57 PM
I,ve seen them before, what through me off was the double supperior proof on the rifled side . I assumed it was for heavier loads and it throws a lyman sabot in a 3 in group at 75 yards but 4 in right of centre. Maybe I didnt buy what I thought I was getting, I questioned the beed sights but its french not english, info. on french guns ravished by war is so hard to find I may never know. thanks for the feed back I,ll still use it as a combo even if that was not its purpose, because that was what I bought it for.
Posted By: Dave Weber Re: combo gun - 11/20/06 12:30 AM
So long as it shoots a good group with safe loads a more combo like sight arrangement could be all you need! Good hunting!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com