doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: clampdaddy My only single shot - 06/29/10 10:28 PM
Today one of my buddys at work was teasing me because the most expensive gun I've ever bought was "just a single shot". I just figured you guys would appreciate it a bit more than he does.

It's a C.Sharps Arms Hartford model 74 chambered in .45-2 7/8ths (aka 45-110). It wears a 34 inch Badger No. 1 heavy barrel. It's a lot of fun to shoot.
Posted By: J.D.Steele Re: My only single shot - 06/29/10 11:11 PM
Welcome, glad to have you aboard! I have a friend in MT/WY who shoots one almost identical to yours, he's a big name in the BPCRS circles. He swears by that particular chambering and regularly shoots out to 1000 yds and further. Whanging steel with these big boomers is loads of fun!
Regards, Joe
Posted By: joelblack88 Re: My only single shot - 06/29/10 11:59 PM
If you're only going to have one single shot that's a great one to own.
Posted By: clampdaddy Re: My only single shot - 06/30/10 03:27 AM
I'd wanted one since I was a kid. My dad and uncle took me to the theater to see Quigly Down Under and that was it, I had to have one. As soon as I got a job that paid well enough I started looking into it, as soon as the wife told me she was sick of watching Quigly on the tv I bought one.
Posted By: Harry Eales Re: My only single shot - 06/30/10 07:40 AM
Clampdaddy,

Other than fully auomatic rifles, all the rest are Single Shots, it's just that some have a rapid reload facility (magazine) attached to them.

Harry
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: My only single shot - 06/30/10 10:32 PM
Nice rifle in a good caliber, IMO anything bigger is just a waste of case space.
With a good wind-gauge front,vernier tang sight and careful handloading you would be amazed at the potential of that rifle.
Posted By: clampdaddy Re: My only single shot - 07/03/10 12:36 AM
I wanted to get the vernier rear and globe front sight when I ordered the rifle but it was going to be another $500 bucks. I told myself I'd get them later but I never did. Someday......
Posted By: J.D.Steele Re: My only single shot - 07/03/10 01:09 AM
I recommend the Parts Unknown Borchardt model rear tang sight. It's fully adjustable for angle & mounting screw C-to-C as well as windage & elevation, and the elevation has a neat built-in method of ensuring no slack/lost motion with increasing wear over the years. IMO it's by far the best buy for the money in a serious BPCR sighting system.
Regards, Joe
Posted By: Michael Petrov Re: My only single shot - 07/03/10 04:47 AM
Joe, Is "Parts Unknown" now "Red River"?
Posted By: J.D.Steele Re: My only single shot - 07/03/10 12:32 PM
Don't know; they used to be in Canada and were run by a Ukrainian emigre named Sergio. Haven't tried to contact them in years now.
Regards, Joe
Posted By: WJL Re: My only single shot - 07/03/10 01:07 PM
PU and Red River are same same. So far, though, the supply is very limited and I don't think Red River has Soule sights yet available. They are carried by Buffalo Arms. I have the Borchardt type sight on my 38-50 Rolling Block and it is as Joe describes, an excellent sight.

Jerry Liles
Posted By: Jagermeister Re: My only single shot - 07/03/10 02:54 PM
i developed taste for classic stuff as i got older. it's looks like high quality piece that's fun to shoot and display. my next purchase is going to be s&w performance center 'col. george w. schofield' in .45 caliber. funny it's almost as those two belong together.
Posted By: martinibelgian Re: My only single shot - 07/07/10 01:12 PM
When I look ar my rifle cabinet, I can't find even a single repeater... What's more, about 90% of all rifles are Martini's. Do you mean there actually are rifles you can fire several shots in sequence without loadiing a round each time?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com