doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Alvin Linden MARTINI 45-70 - 09/29/12 02:37 PM
I know nothing about Martini Henry's, do you guys think this is a reasonable starting price.

$995

45-70 Government Caliber
Action Mfg. by Providence Tool Co., Providence, R.I., Turkish Contract
27.5" Barrel, Half Octagon, Half round
Weight: 10 Lbs., 11 Oz.
Condition: Custom wood Excellent condition. Stock at tang drilled for tang sight. Metal finish on receiver somewhat mottled, barrel fine. Bore excellent
Posted By: xausa Re: MARTINI 45-70 - 09/29/12 03:26 PM
It looks as though a fair amount of workmanship went into building the rifle, so the replacement cost would likely be more than the starting price.

In a custom rifle, however, replacement cost is seldom a good index of value, since what appeals to the original owner may be a feature which a prospective buyer would have to pay to remove or correct.

Is this a reserve auction? If it is, I would say that the reserve would be well above the starting price, which might be a deal breaker. Of course, anything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Posted By: Alvin Linden Re: MARTINI 45-70 - 09/29/12 04:21 PM
This IS THE SALE PRICE BUT I HAVE BEEN LED TO BELIEVE THEY ARE NEGOTIABLE. JERRY
Posted By: 1878 Re: MARTINI 45-70 - 09/29/12 08:20 PM
Looks like a decent rifle to me at that price. I would want a better look at the metal condition, but a Providence Tool Co. Martini would be worth more to me than a foreign one. I guess because I'm an American. Any idea as to history: who did the barrel & stock?
Posted By: martinibelgian Re: MARTINI 45-70 - 09/29/12 09:27 PM
Hmmm... looks like a 1st model, with the safety. the cocking indicator is either something homemade, or one from the What cheer / Creedmoor line. If it has a tang, chances are that it originallty was one of the terget models, the military rifles didn't have a tang. The rear sight is way too close to the eye though - it needs to be moved forward.
Posted By: Ryan McNabb Re: MARTINI 45-70 - 09/30/12 12:05 PM
My feeling is that it's overpriced at the starting bid. I don't mean to seem harsh, just honest. It's just a 45-70 shooter, and if you want one at that price, it might have its own unique charm, but it is a reconstruction/customization, with no residual British character, and I think it looses a lot of its qualities that way. (The barrel kills it for me...) If the action's been drilled and welded on, that's even harder to justify. I'd rather have a Ruger #1 for the same price, but that's just me.
Posted By: John E. Re: MARTINI 45-70 - 09/30/12 05:39 PM
I think the gun is worth the money. But it is still a Turkish sporter.
Posted By: PeteM Re: MARTINI 45-70 - 10/01/12 12:51 AM
You can pick up a used Ruger #1 or #3 in 45-70 for that price.
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=ruger+45-70

If you really want a Martini go for it, just check it out first.

Pete
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com