doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: MS64 Sharps Mod 1875 - 11/04/14 04:46 PM
Dear Members,

For my own use I want to build a Sharps Mod 1875.
I know that only 1 original 1875 exist. I know that Lozita-Wolf made some of these actions at very close to the original. I was looking for his website but it seems that it`s not exist anymore.
Is there anyone that have drawings or a 3D cad file of the 1875 action??

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: SDH-MT Re: Sharps Mod 1875 - 11/05/14 03:47 PM
Last I knew, C. Sharps Arms made and sold 1875 Sharps and had been known to sell action in the past.
Posted By: LRF Re: Sharps Mod 1875 - 11/06/14 03:44 AM

Posted By: xausa Re: Sharps Mod 1875 - 11/06/14 01:57 PM
http://csharpsarms.com/catalog-category/9/Model-1875-Sharps-Rifles.html?page=0

Actions and barreled actions available also.
Posted By: MS64 Re: Sharps Mod 1875 - 11/06/14 06:14 PM
LRF,
That`s the one I want to build.
I don`t like the actions from csharps, to plain
and without the safety catch.
Here a picture of the Lozito wolf action ( still available??)

Posted By: Harry Eales Re: Sharps Mod 1875 - 11/08/14 08:29 PM
Las I heard Joe was working very slowly because he was unwell, I have a friend who has a Sharps Borchardt modified by Zischang in his workshop, the work was supposed to be done in a couple of weeks but that must be a year or more ago. Beautiful work but very expensive.

Harry
Posted By: MS64 Re: Sharps Mod 1875 - 11/09/14 02:08 PM
Harry,

Is there a possibility to ask your friend of he can ask
Joe of there is anything for sale from the 1875 action??
A drawing or a cad file .

Regards.
Posted By: Harry Eales Re: Sharps Mod 1875 - 11/11/14 02:16 PM
SM64,

You have a PM. There must be a glitch in the system here, It took me 8 attempts to log in. I got it right each time but as soon as I got to making a reply there was that message again. Please Log in. AAGGGGHHHHHHHHH.As far as either of us is aware he is not offering anything remotely like plans for sale, after all they could be going to a competitor, that's not good for business. Joe is very expensive his standard Borchardt Actions cost $3,500 dollars and they aren't heat treated. That's more than a complete rifle from some makers.

Harry
Posted By: MS64 Re: Sharps Mod 1875 - 11/12/14 04:26 PM
Harry,

Thanks for your help.
I understand the concerns regarding competition
but it`s definitely for my own use.
I build already the 1874 and the 1878 ( see picture ) here fore I had some
examples from drawings and exploding views. But from the 1875 I can`t find anything.

Regards.
Posted By: Chuckster Re: Sharps Mod 1875 - 11/13/14 03:12 AM
That is beautiful work. Excellent craftsmanship. Won't ask how many hours, because I have been there. Welcome to the club of crazy people that can see a rifle action in a block of steel. Did you also do the wood work, which is excellent?
Chuck
Posted By: Harry Eales Re: Sharps Mod 1875 - 11/13/14 05:29 AM
I have to agree with Chuck, that is first class workmanship. Did you make the Borchardt rear sight? I know how they are made, it's easy when you know how, but if you don't it causes a lot of head scratching. lol.

I understand from an article I read that C.Sharps borrowed the original rifle to back engineer it, so they are the only ones likely to have plans. Joe Lozito MAY have got his plans in one of two ways, He could have purchased a C.Sharps copy or measured the only other existing action.(that's all there is of another).

Has anyone noticed that if the tangs were straightened on the action and the hammer and lock mechanism were removed,then you have the profile of the 1878 Borchardt. I wonder if he designed the '75 model as well?

I am not aware of anything on the 1875 in the Public Domain except perhaps a Patent. Sadly, I have never seen a Patent Drawing with dimensions. Nearly all of the plans for US single shot rifles available on the www were drawn by an ASSRA member who reverse engineered them from original rifles. The Borchardt plans were not done by him but another company (There are a lot of errors in the 1878 drawings, I know, I've nearly got mine finished). I've been away from my machines for nearly a year on Doctors Orders but I'm modifying my Mill at present and should be making chips again before Christmas. Virtually all the plans on the www and Fleabay are copies made from sets of drawings available from the ASSRA Archive for 10 bucks per set.
They are A4 size but enlarge beautifully to full size for a few dollars more at your local photocopying shop.

Good luck in your search but I think you may have problems getting plans. I think perhaps you may find it easier to find a crock of gold at the end of a rainbow.

Harry
Posted By: Chuckster Re: Sharps Mod 1875 - 11/13/14 05:03 PM
Based on Harry's comments, it might be possible to start with the Brochardt drawings and cross-breed them with the 1874 drawing, plus pictures and maybe a patent drawing and come up with something similar. Won't be exactly like the original but you do get into the mind set of the original designer. Doing something similar (but not as complex) with a Walker-Hepburn and cannot resist making "improvements" Takes about as much time to make the drawings as to make the action.
Chuck
Posted By: MS64 Re: Sharps Mod 1875 - 11/13/14 06:26 PM
Thanks Harry and Chuck,

Yes, I made the woodwork and the sights.
The tang sight is made as the original one , only add a rotating disk in the cup for adjusts diameter. While shooting in Bisley we visit the NRA museum and saw a beautiful Remington Creedmoor rifle. On this rifle there was a very fine front sight.
I copied that for my Borchardt.

The problem with the C.Sharps 1875 action is that it has not the safety catch behind the trigger. And that makes the action so attractive. It`s not possible to make this when you have not a clue how it`s works and how it`s look inside.

Regards Leon.
Posted By: Chuckster Re: Sharps Mod 1875 - 11/13/14 07:16 PM
Leon
Don't think I will ever try to tell you how to do anything again. That is superb.

http://jamesdjulia.com/item/lot-2299-one...et-rifle-44917/

According to the above website, the checkered button behind the hammer is not a safety, but engages or disengages a self-cocking mechanism for the hammer. Don't ask me how it works.
Chuck
Posted By: LRF Re: Sharps Mod 1875 - 11/14/14 12:33 AM
Leon,
The US Patent for the 1875 Sharps is 177852.
It will explain the operation of the button. I might add that your thoughts about the button improving the look I much agree with you. The currently marketed gun really loose it in the looks department, just don't have the "looks" of the original.
Maybe its that patina that only comes with time.
Posted By: Harry Eales Re: Sharps Mod 1875 - 11/14/14 12:42 AM
There was something about those two Sharps rifles that ran a bell in the cotton wool fuzziness that is my mind. I didn't recognise your 'Monika' MS64. Then I saw the name Leon and Netherlands and everything fell into place. We have been in touch before back in about 2005 or 6 and you were very, very helpful to me then. Like Chuck I won't tell you how to do any work either your far more skilled than I'll ever be. Can I take it that the numerals on the Long Range Staff were CNC engraved? I can spot only two very minor differences between your Staff and the original Borchardt Long Range Site other than for the rotating eye disk you mentioned.

I wish I could be more helpful with plans for the 1875 but I'm really stuck for a lead. Sorry.

Harry
Posted By: Harry Eales Re: Sharps Mod 1875 - 11/14/14 07:44 PM
Leon, would you please send me your home Email Address. Mine is harryeales@talktalk.net
I have something for you.

Thanks,

Harry
Posted By: MS64 Re: Sharps Mod 1875 - 11/15/14 01:27 PM
Harry,

Yes, staff is cnc engraved.
PM sent.

Leon.
Posted By: LRF Re: Sharps Mod 1875 - 11/15/14 02:49 PM
Leon,
Did you get the patent drawings?
It is quite a short patent and simple to understand what the little button does.
I really feel that you could reverse engineer a very acceptable model for the 1875.
The very first single shot rifle I ever built (30 years ago) is what I named a Sharps 1876 model.

Not the best picture. Old picture. I have since engraved it a but don't have a pic of that.
I used this rifle for years as a competition gun and fired it thousands of times. The barrel was in the white in this photo as I replaced it once and that is the new barrel. Half round/oct.
It is in 40-70 Sharps straight firing a paper patch bullet.

I wish you the best on your 1876 project.
Posted By: MS64 Re: Sharps Mod 1875 - 11/15/14 07:46 PM
LRF,

Thanks very much for the patent link.
Now I have to find out how everything works
but it`s a start.

Leon.
Posted By: Chuckster Re: Sharps Mod 1875 - 11/16/14 03:48 PM
LRF,
That is very nice and unique. Sort of reminds one of an English Bar-in-Wood shotgun. Not exactly sure how you did it.
Chuck
Posted By: LRF Re: Sharps Mod 1875 - 11/16/14 06:54 PM
The hammer rotates on a shaft that is supported inside in the bottom tang, which has built in supports. Then just under the hammer is a support bearing (its a little smaller in diameter then the hammer so it is hidden) which also attaches to the inside support. The tumbler is on the centerline and the trigger simply interfaces with the tumbler.
Design is way simpler then a standard 74 sharps. Parts count is down and much less machining to accomplish.
The flat sides were what I thought would be an obvious modernization. I was trying to think what I would purpose if I lived then when sharps was trying to improve their market. The 1875, 1877 and finally the 1878 were all attempts to do that. There are other examples some shown in the Sellers book. Unfortunately Sharps went full in on the 1878 action which suffered from many issues and worst the management failed to understand their market's desires. An issue that has killed many companies over the years. Ignore your customer's wants or tell him what he wants will soon cause the customer to go else where. smile

Thanks for the complements.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com