May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jtplumb, LGF, Ken Nelson, fullandfuller, 2 invisible), 325 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,735
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm going to put my two cents in for whatever it may be worth. I know this may cause some controversy, but I say that a custom made western saddle built my late father, Jack M. Kendall, would fall in the category of being as well made as a custom made shotgun. His saddles were not built with close tolerances in mind, but they were all hand made and displayed perfection that one would find in a custom made shotgun. When people bought from him, they were buying the best that money could buy.

Colin L. Kendall
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bushmaster I think you might be confusing precision with aesthetics.

A sewing machine or turbines in a hydro electric dam are built with great precision but are certainly lacking in aesthetics for most observers.

OB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The generators in Hoover Dam are made to repaired as needed. The water wheels in all of them are in the process of being replaced. The bearings run in full hydrodynamic lubrication which means there is no metal to metal contact. The generator slip rings wear because of the brushes riding on them, but they are designed to be replaced as needed. The generator winding insulation degrades with age and electrical stress, but can be replaced when it fails. etc. They are big old machines that are well made but don't qualify as high precision in the sense of a watch or even a shotgun.

OB

Boxlock
Boxlock

I agree with TwiceBarrels, the pleasing astetics of wood, metal and engraving on the classic guns is something special.
Having all of that in something that you can use and enjoy is even better.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Micrometers, slide rules, and all those things that allowed shotguns to be built. A custom shotgun isn't a precision instrument, and after a few hundred shots, it's no longer even close to being so.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

IMHO the finest metal work I've ever seen was on a new in the box, pre WW-II, Colt Ace that my friend the late Phil Toliphero in Charles County, Maryland, had. I'm not at all into handguns, but I'd love to have that one for the beautiful workmanship.

Last edited by Researcher; 09/03/10 05:33 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Researcher
IMHO the finest metal work I've ever seen was on a new in the box, pre WW-II, Colt Ace that my friend the late Phil Toliphero in Charles County, Maryland, had. I'm not at all into handguns, but I'd love to have that one for the beautiful workmanship.

The pre-war Colts are pieces of art in addition to being precision instruments. Each and every one from the lowest Police Positive was hand fitted and polished. I have a few Colts in the around 100 years old range that ended up as "night stand guns" an perhaps were never even fired. The fit and finish on the new/old guns is a sight to behold. We will IMO never see the likes of these again as the labor costs alone precludes their manufacture.

Pictured below is a Colt Police Positive in 32 new Police. The only wear evident on the gun is slight blueing loss where the crane has been swung open. I would have to disassemble this pistol to put it back into firing condition as the internal grease has frozen the mechanism. Please excuse the hazy picture as this isn't the best time of day for photography.
Jim

Jim

Last edited by italiansxs; 09/03/10 06:25 PM.

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The perfecion of fine guns is related to several different properties that are more related to pianos or violins; where steel, iron and wood work in unison. The gun locks and other steel working parts are designed to wear together (not apart). Stock wood is inleted to iron to stay in close contact to withstand recoil forces. Barrels and frame are designed to assemble in such a manner that upon shot ignition flex together in a controlled way. Pianos, violins and guns need accomplished operators to perform well. They can have pleasant stetics and can last centuries if well cared.

EJSXS.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree,pre war Colts are all "custom shop" guns of today-better infact.

These are not bad either when you want fine hand fitted workmanship;

Hillary For Prison 2018
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.