May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Stanton Hillis, David Williamson, 1 invisible), 234 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,033
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#203616 09/22/10 03:46 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Browning BSS 20 ga: I'm having a tough time translating the choke symbols on the gun. Right barrel shows "**", which I believe means "modified". Left barrel appears to have been mis-stamped. There is this "**" , however only the top half of each asterisk; the righthand asterisk is more fully stamped, but the lefthand of the two is clearly just the top half; as if the dye was not perpindicular to the barrel when struck. Is it possible the this gun could be modified/modified?

Sidelock
Sidelock

How long are the barrels? If they are 26" it's most likely IC and mod. Anything is possible, of course. The choke could be easily determined by measuring the bore and muzzle. Verify it at the pattern board.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

If the right barrel has a minus sign too this would be IC.

Quid me anxias sum
Sidelock
Sidelock

My BSS is marked on the barrel flats IC and Mod. I presume you've looked there. I wonder what the difference is. Is your's a Korean assembled gun?

American by birth, Texan by grace of God.
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Yes Korean assembled. I ordered a choke gauge today so we'll see!

Sidelock
Sidelock

If both barrels have the same "**" stamp, they are likely choked the same (or were from the factory). There is a fair amount of variation in Miroku guns, even on those made with the Browning label. Take a look at the muzzles (make sure the gun is unloaded) and just eyeball the barrel wall thickness.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think all BSS were supposed to be IC/M if 26", M/F if 28". But every time we say "all" in these cases, exceptions seem to turn up. (Not sure what the 30" 12ga guns were choked.)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Not sure what the 30" 12ga guns were choked.)

I think they were all M/F. Mine is. Don't think I have seen anything else in a 30"

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah from what I have seen, anything other than the configurations Replacement has described regarding barrel length and choke selection has been at the hands of a gunsmith, not the factory.

That doesn't mean that your BSS hasn't been changed Dave, so you've done well by ordering a choke gauge. Please let us know what you find out.

American by birth, Texan by grace of God.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I see it continually on shooting forums 'my bore measures x, my choke measures y', what pattern will it throw?
Well Sir I do not know, I can only take an educated guess because it varies so much dependant on what cartridge you use and what wadding is inside, plus many other factors.
So the real answer to your question is.
" Take the gun and the cartridge you are going to shoot regularly, shoot at the pattern board at the distance that you will expect to be shooting most, and then calculate your pattern percentage". The answer needs to be calculated from the average of a least ten shots, not just one shot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.