May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Mike Harrell, buckstix, Jim H., eeb, obsessed-with-doubles, MattH), 1,160 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,512
Posts545,664
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Joe in Charlotte
Find a Vintager group near you. They'll have access to lots of SxS of all makes. I have yet to meet a Vintager that wouldn't let you try a few shots (with his ammo).
Guns to consider if you don't reload and will be shooting off the shelf ammo.
As Stan said, BSS (skip the sidelock, too much money)
Ruger SxS
CSmC RBL 12 in clays configuration (too heavy for me, but an excellent choice)
AYA's in boxlock or sidelock. They are modern guns built to English standards.
Winchester 21s, in a not collectable configuration (reblued, etc)

Joe

Joe:

Ruger SXS's, AyA's, Model 21's, RBL's....CAN you buy those for 12-1500.00...(Alans price envelope)....?...........I don't think you named one that is under $3,000.00, or am I missing something......

I do agree with Stan that the Browning Japanese BSS is a very good gun and well suited for heavy use if you like single triggers......

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

if you want a heavy, reliable, steel shootin sxs then a japanese/korean made browning bss or a russian/baikal made stevens 411 is a way to go. however, the bss has a glossly finish that scratches easily and it has fixed chokes and often a non selectable single trigger. whereas, the 411 has an easily fixed oil finish, choke tubes and a selective single trigger. and o yeah, the bss often costs twice as much as a 411.

if you don't want a heavy, steel shootin sxs, then there is most everything else.

Last edited by ed good; 03/22/12 08:49 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is absolutely NO comparison between a BSS and a 411 for clay shooting. The handling characteristics of the BSS are light years beyond the 411, and the trigger is, too.

And as for fixed chokes, the best way to deal with that AND the non-selectable trigger is to do what I did with mine, have both barrels choked the same and FORGET ABOUT WHAT CHOKE IS NEEDED FOR THE STATION. Concentrate on the bird, it's line and speed, which one of the true pair to break first, and just shoot it.

I love to see a man I'm shooting against start fiddling with chokes before he shoots a station. wink

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll second/third/fourth/fifth the Browning (Miroku) BSS boxlock recommendation. Modern gun, modern steel, modern dimensions, heavy enough for clays, right in your price range, available with PG or straight grip. At 5'7", you may prefer the 28" barrels. That would save some money and be easier to find than the 30" version (also, the 30" was available only in the PG configuration). If you prefer double triggers, look for the Miroku or Charles Daly (Miroku) 500, generally with double triggers and a splinter f/e, somewhat lighter barrel profile. You can often find a very sweet Miroku/Daly 500 for well under $1K.

Another option would be the SKB 100/200 series. I love Spanish guns, but there are very few that I would use for volume clays shooting. In the American classics, Fox Sterlingworth would be the choice, followed by a Parker VH or Trojan. If you want an American sidelock, the Smith Ideal is way better looking than a Field gun, but watch out for stock cracks behind the locks if you are going to use it a lot with promo loads. The BSS, SKB, Sterlingworth, and VH/Trojan will eat just about any reasonable target loads you would want to feed them. There are lots of light factory target loads out there, but I like the Fiocchi 7/8 oz training loads.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you must have a sxs and stay within that price range (in the states), I recommend the BSS 12 ga in 28" or better yet, 30" barrels.

For a little more, say 1800-2000 in the states, you can easily find a BSS 20ga.

the only time a BSS trigger let me dowm was one that had been messed with by the previous owner. I fixed it quickly by undoing the hack's work.

Winchester Model 23 guns are of similar quality and performance.

Last edited by Chuck H; 03/22/12 10:22 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Keep an eye out for an SKB 385 in sporting clays configuration, with the ventilated rib. Great for clays and field work too, and steel shot compatible. One seems to come on the market for a reasonable price at Gun Broker every few months. They are more modern in design than a BSS, come with screw in chokes, and are far better made in terms of workmanship and materials, IMHO. I've compared the 385 and the BSS side by side, and the choice was clear. The down side is that you will have to pay a bit more for the 385, and spend far more time searching for it, but then again, that's part of the fun.

"Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun".
Sidelock
Sidelock

now if you wana go the 20 gauge route, and stay under two grand, then why spend your money on a clunky ole bss, when a nice little fox, smith or ithaca, that weighs a pound less and swings like a dream, would be a far better choice, in mah umble opinion...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate the good advice. I was thinking about having a gun with a splinter fore end but had not considered the hot barrels. I guess with field shooting this is not a problem as you are not shooting that rapidly.
I was looking at the Browning BSS before it was suggested -- looks like a good solid gun. I was also looking at an AYA with a 30" barrel but the dealer said there was a pending sale on it -- will have to wait and see. It is made in Japan who I have heard make good guns.
I measure the LOP on my two and they are right around 14.5" to the front trigger. I guess that is what most guns are. Interestingly the 16 gauge I have that was made by WP Jones, is the same gentleman who invented the try gun.
Again thanks for all the advice. I think I will look for a Browning BSS.
Alan

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gunsinternational had a BSS 12 listed yesterday with 30" barrels and a Simmons vent rib for $950.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
I am thinking of taking up sporting clays

Not trying to head you off at all...but...please consider the time and expense to shooting Sporting Clays before jumping off the deep end. Especially if you plan to shoot registered targets.

Good luck,
Ken

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.