May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (R. Glenz, DSchrank, earlyriser), 1,056 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,513
Posts545,667
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
contemplating going with a 16 ga

That will double your ammo cost compared to a 12 or 20, unless you reload. If you choose to reload, you will still need plenty of scarce hulls, and you won't be able to just walk into most shops and buy 16 ga components. A 16 ga gun, all other things equal, will usually cost more than the same gun in 12 ga.

Sidelock
Sidelock

English Rebel, couple points. You said you are retired which means you are closer to my age. When I was competing with shotguns the 12ga was almost necessary - until I found my averages were higher with 20ga than 12 because the recoil wore me out by the time a match ended. I haven't shot my 12ga more than a couple times in the last 20 years. Further, the weight of the gun is also a tiring factor. So now I shoot 20ga at clays and find that quite enjoyable - but not as a competitor, just practice and good fellowship. I found a Miroku Daly 20ga for my grandchildren to shoot. They are very similar to the Browning BSS except about $600 or $700 cheaper. You might consider them as well as they quite durable and have a little more weight very much like the BSS.

Sidelock
Sidelock

ER,

If you are in NC try to come to the Southern Side by Side at Sanford, NC in April. You will be able to try a lot of guns and there will be a lot of them for sale. Maybe even a BSS. I am going to do my best to be there on Saturday and Sunday and, if I am, you would be most welcome to shoot my 30" BSS all you want.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Jerry
Thanks for that insight. I was always told that the heavier the gun the less felt recoil but I guess it depends on the loads (and fitted recoil pad). I was originally looking at the 20 but was then guided to a 12.
Stan
I was told about that event and plan to go. So they will have vendors selling guns as well as the competition?
Thanks
Alan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Alan,
No matter what gauge, gun weight makes a big difference. My go-to hunting gun is a 16 gauge French built SXS that weighs 5 lbs 1 ounce (with a Pachmyer decelerator recoil pad). While great for hunting you do not want to shoot sporting clays with it, it'll kick the crap out of you! Last time I shot sporting clays with it I ended up with a bruised shoulder that was still a little sore even after four days. However, you couldn't ask for a quicker to the shoulder, easier to carry field gun.
BTW 20 gauge is a good choice from an economics standpoint since 20 gauge ammo is often on sale right along side the 12 gauge ammo.
Steve

Last edited by Rockdoc; 03/25/12 09:48 AM.

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

I second and third the recoil pad suggestions: A Kick-Eez or a Pachmayer Decelerator make shooting a gun so much more fun. Recoil pads have gotten so much better in the last 10-15 years, there is almost no comparison to the old "brick" pads of days of yore.

The makers of "Kick-Eez" tell me they are coming out with a traditional red pad, and I intend to put one on my gun when they do that.

Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE

Sam Ogle
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: English Rebel
I am also looking at the CZ Ringneck that I believe is made by Huglue as it is a reasonably priced gun. Not to muddy the waters but I am also contemplating going with a 16 ga. Anyone know what the difference is between a CZ Ringneck and a CZ Bob White (apart from price)?
Thanks
Alan

The Ringneck has a pistol grip and single trigger, the Bobwhite an English grip and double triggers. The Ringneck costs more as a rule, just because. Also, in 16, all of Huglu's guns come with fixed chokes, as opposed to their other guns in 12, 20 and 28, which come with tubes (and bulgy muzzle ends to accommodate them).

As to shells for the 16, I have to agree that you'd be well-served to reload because of cost. If you shop the web-based dealers (BPI, etc.) you'll see the hulls and wads cost roughly the same as 12 or 20, the shot, powders and primers are the same as you might use in 12 or 20. If you go to buy shell at retail, though, you wind up paying twice what the 12 and 20 folks pay and, in some instances, more than 28 ga. So, buy in advance and reload more than enough in advance. And I'd recommend a 3/4 to 7/8 oz load in the 16 - it'll shoot as well as an ounce and the only time you'll notice the 1/8 to 1/4 oz less shot is when you get more shells out of a bag of shot.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Replacement
Quote:
contemplating going with a 16 ga

That will double your ammo cost compared to a 12 or 20, unless you reload. If you choose to reload, you will still need plenty of scarce hulls, and you won't be able to just walk into most shops and buy 16 ga components. A 16 ga gun, all other things equal, will usually cost more than the same gun in 12 ga.

Yes, the shells will be more expensive especially if you buy them locally. My guns are all European and I use mostly B&P shells. Here are some comparative prices on BP shells, delivered to door:

12 ga F2 Legend: $0.34/shell
16 ga F2 Classic: $0.46/shell
20 ga F2 Classic: $0.44/shell

If you go with imported shells there isn't that great a difference between 16 and 20 gauge.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I really appreciate all the fine suggestions on used guns such as the Browning, Daly Miroku, etc.. In order to widen my choices I am also looking at new guns (hence the CZ Ringneck). One is a little over my budget but worth looking at. What is your opinion? One is made in Turkey and one in Italy.
Ugartechea at $1895
DeHaan SGRS at $1595

Sidelock
Sidelock

Alan:

The Uggie you posted at $1895.00 is a nice gun IMO....I would ask if you could order it choked M/F instead of the open chokes, just my opinon.....?................

But very nice and it's new with fixed chokes........

Best,

Doug

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.