May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Roundsworth, dblgnfix, bsteele), 1,130 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,513
Posts545,667
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#274079 04/06/12 09:37 AM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I have just purchased an almost new DeHaan SC 20 gauge side by side and after I picked it up from my local FFL I noticed that the lever does not return to the center and the locking cross bolt does not sit flush with the receiver -- see photo. The company I purchased it from said this is normal and it will slowly bed in after being fired some and after a while it will be in the center.
Is this normal?
Thanks
Alan

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know about the cross bolt, but it's typical for the lever to sit a bit to the right on most guns.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is the action closed tight with the locking pin sticking out? It may wear in but in my mind is not a sign of quality control when the gun was made. I believe DeHaan shotguns are made by Huglu. Usually Mark checks these things out unless the gun has been worked on. I had a CZ (Huglu made) ringneck that I just sold. The locking bolt was flush on it.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Yes the action is closed tight. The company from who I purchased it said this:

"Alan, On a new shotgun the top lever is to the right not centered that is correct. It will wear in after much shooting. Brownings, Winchesters etc all do this."

Alan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Alan,

IMO the crossbolt is sitting out a little too far. Having the lever right of center is no problem. I would suggest removing the barrels and checking for excess grease or a bit of debris in the crossbolt recess, the locking lugs and the sliding bolt.

If that's unsuccessful, send a pic to Mark showing the crossbolt protrusion. He's a good guy and should make it right.

Phil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Alan:

I've owned a few CZ shotguns, I'm generally pleased with them, and not all of them have the crossbolt seat fully upon closing due to tight tolerances.

I wouldn't worry about it... it will break-in, or you can accelerate the process by identifying the bind point and work it with some rubbing compound. Just put a dab there and watch your favorite TV show while working it. We all wish a turkish craftsman had spent the same time doing this on our behalf, but given the price point of the Huglu guns I understand why they didn't.

People routinely do this with a crisp new bolt action rifle to smooth the action, even with the famously smooth Winchester M70.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Alan I think everything is just fine and as it should be with the crossbolt and lever.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Had the same thing happen with CZ/Huglu/Dehaans...Not a problem..and if there was Mark would stand behind it...great guy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well LD I know reading all of a thread before you post on it is not your strong point but he said he bought an "almost new" DeHaan. He says the reply he posted was from the company he bought it from. No where does he say he is in contact with DeHaan.

It is Joe Wood's day to look after you tomorrow.

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 04/06/12 10:30 AM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lever to the right is OK unless it means the gun is not fully closing.

If you manually push the lever to center, does the bolt go flush? If this is the case then it's probably just in need of break-in or lube. If it doesn't go in then it's something else.

A tiny drop of gun oil on the bolt may solve the problem.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.