April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Kip, David Williamson, Marks_21), 642 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,484
Posts545,275
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#295172 09/29/12 10:37 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I know nothing about Martini Henry's, do you guys think this is a reasonable starting price.

$995

45-70 Government Caliber
Action Mfg. by Providence Tool Co., Providence, R.I., Turkish Contract
27.5" Barrel, Half Octagon, Half round
Weight: 10 Lbs., 11 Oz.
Condition: Custom wood Excellent condition. Stock at tang drilled for tang sight. Metal finish on receiver somewhat mottled, barrel fine. Bore excellent

Sidelock
Sidelock

It looks as though a fair amount of workmanship went into building the rifle, so the replacement cost would likely be more than the starting price.

In a custom rifle, however, replacement cost is seldom a good index of value, since what appeals to the original owner may be a feature which a prospective buyer would have to pay to remove or correct.

Is this a reserve auction? If it is, I would say that the reserve would be well above the starting price, which might be a deal breaker. Of course, anything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This IS THE SALE PRICE BUT I HAVE BEEN LED TO BELIEVE THEY ARE NEGOTIABLE. JERRY

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like a decent rifle to me at that price. I would want a better look at the metal condition, but a Providence Tool Co. Martini would be worth more to me than a foreign one. I guess because I'm an American. Any idea as to history: who did the barrel & stock?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hmmm... looks like a 1st model, with the safety. the cocking indicator is either something homemade, or one from the What cheer / Creedmoor line. If it has a tang, chances are that it originallty was one of the terget models, the military rifles didn't have a tang. The rear sight is way too close to the eye though - it needs to be moved forward.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My feeling is that it's overpriced at the starting bid. I don't mean to seem harsh, just honest. It's just a 45-70 shooter, and if you want one at that price, it might have its own unique charm, but it is a reconstruction/customization, with no residual British character, and I think it looses a lot of its qualities that way. (The barrel kills it for me...) If the action's been drilled and welded on, that's even harder to justify. I'd rather have a Ruger #1 for the same price, but that's just me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the gun is worth the money. But it is still a Turkish sporter.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can pick up a used Ruger #1 or #3 in 45-70 for that price.
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=ruger+45-70

If you really want a Martini go for it, just check it out first.

Pete

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.