Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

That damasteel gun was a prototype that never went into production.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bailey Bradshaw in Texas has built at least 1 double rifle reciever from damascus that he made in his shop.

It was beautiful and fully functional!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I haven't seen Bailey for two or three years. He used to do all of the major knife shows, but I think he may now be doing mostly custom gun shows. He and I used to have tables next to each other at the Arkansas Knife Show. He always had some beautiful art knives and at least one gun. I knew he was working on a damascus rifle receiver. I have no doubt that he finished it, and it was amazing. He is an incredible artist and is really great about sharing his knowledge with other craftsmen. He helped me with tooling and techniques for doing sculptured knife fittings.

Steve Culver
Steve Culver Knives
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mathias Novotny Wien percussion single

I realize the tube is in rough shape, but are we looking at the odd pattern or is it odd due to the fact that we are looking at a different cross-section? In looking at the rifling, I assume that there would be different oxidation rates for the 2 metals?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That is 'Bernard Loop'; a slightly nicer specimen smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ah, couldn't see the forest for the trees. So you think that is a Bernard tube?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Not without this

Boxlock
Boxlock

Always like to see discussions on damascus.

I recently exchanged a couple of emails with Steve Culver on his making of a damascus gun barrel. It looked great and is fully functional.

I've been rolling ideas around my head for an all damascus rifle, including the barrel. It's quite an ambitious project, but I think it needs to be done. Modern steels and cleaner forge welding techniques open up a huge new avenue for firearms.

Damasteel is a great product, but it's not traditionaly forge welded steel. It's make in the powdered metalurgy process so the patterns are limited. I've used it for knives in the past and it is a clean and high quality product, but it will never look like the old damascus.

There is also the advancement of mosaic damascus by many bladesmiths. Some of the blades I have seen were extrememly complex and took weeks to forge the billet they were made from.
No reason an action couldn't be made with a dame scene forged in the steel. Lots of good stuff to explore

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bailey,

I'm anxious to see what you come up with. The idea of using mosaic damascus for an action is intriguing. I am reminded of a hunting scene that Steve Schwarzer welded into a knife blade. This would look great on the sideplates of a shotgun. A similar scene with perhaps a cape buff' would be equally impressive on a double rifle.

The barrel smiths of 100 years ago were the masters of damascus making. Today, it is the knifemakers. The few of us who are interested as much in guns as we are knives, could take firearms embellishment into an entirely new realm.

Steve Culver
Steve Culver Knives
Boxlock
Boxlock

That's the knife I was thinking of when I mentioned the game scenes. The construction of the scene was done by cutting the elements with a wire edm, slightly tapered so they seated into the female block for easy welding. No lack of skill in reducing the billet with essentially no distortion. Steve Schwarzer did the forging.

There are some hurdles to overcome for the production of a damascus barrel that will have a solid core to produce a rifle barrel capable of modern pressures, but I think it's worth doing. There was a patent for such a barrel issued in 1918 or so.

A mosaic damascus action complimented with damascus fittings would be nice enough, but the same rifle with a new damascus barrel in a modern cartridge would be quite a feather in a makers cap.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.